What does Veeky Forums think of meditation and mindfulness?

Is it just some pop science bandwagon or does it have actual evidence?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Research_on_meditation
m.youtube.com/watch?v=2ABtVOnwHmo
youtube.com/watch?v=uYREbfDzIMA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>you are stressed
>relax
>wow magic everyone should try it

It's more than that, it's an exercise in restraining one's focus to a single thing (breath, mantra whatever). It has some research behind it now. It is not easy to do though, I find myself wanting to get up after just 20 min.

I find it useful to help center your mind and calm yourself. Breathing exercises absolutely lower blood pressure and anxiety.
Are you going to translate through higher dimensions on the astral plane? I don't know. But it does have positive benefits.

I tried it and I'm still shitposting. Conclusion: it's bullshit.

What exercises?

Its gay af, makes you too self consious

Shit you've got all kinds of options, personally I just focus on slow deep inhalation through the nose, hold in my lungs for a few counts, then a slow exhale through the mouth.
It's important to breathe with your diaphragm (watch how a baby breathes when it sleeps, it pooched out its belly when it inhales, and sucks it in for the exhale). Keep this up until you find yourself naturally setting into a pattern of circular breathing.
But there are many many breathing exercises depending on what you're trying to accomplish.

Mindfulness Meditation is constantly bringing back your attention to some focus, and more generally, what you are experiencing right at the moment, without any thoughts on the matter, just the experience. So every time you trail off into thoughts, you return your focus. The breathing exercise part of it is great in and of itself though.

I've been doing it for years and it's increased my IQ by 30 points. Everyone should do it.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Research_on_meditation

Self-reflection and introspection are good "subjects" to focus on when meditating. You tend to not have time to focus on these things when living life normally so making time to meditate on your being is necessary if you want to grow in a controlled environment.

evidence for what? what is even your question? evidence that people meditate? they do.
/thread.

I usually don't have time (or I at least manage it too poorly) to meditate daily but the days that I do meditate I feel absolutely amazing. I feel calm yet energetic and peaceful. I highly recommend meditation. Look at the different methods to see which is right for you though.

>I usually don't have time

Same. But when I make time to do it, I'm usually way more productive that day.

I usually wake up early in the morning around 5:30 and do a 20-30 Minute meditation. It’s not for everyone but I feel like I notice a huge difference on productivity vs non meditation days.

When I do my meditation, I focus on a 14 step arm movement which I learnt from a meditation camp (Buddhist parents) I was forced to attend when I was 13 years old. I can link a video if anyone is interested.

Link video

When i meditate, I simply focus on the breath, feelig it on tje tip of my nose, then filling my lungs.

When a thought emerges, I let it run its course. Sometimes you can catch a glimpse of that primordial state of the mind, when its not distracred by thought, and it’s truly special.

Meditation is actually a physically pleasurable experience as well. It feels comparable to certain drug highs at its strongest.

It is really good stuff. Makes you more aware over time. You could say it can make you smarter.

Alen Watts was good at explaining things, and why too much thinking is not good and how your subconscious is far superior if you let it work.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=2ABtVOnwHmo

>he can only lives if he ignores himself
I think that is the point: learning to deal with yourself.

Well, what happens eventually when you have been meditating for years is you become so aware that you become aware that you don't exist as the individual you thought you were. So there is no "i" in the sense you see "i" as you do now and there for you don't take yourself as serious and can stop being anxious. So you can have your cake and eat it.

I was at this temple where it was filmed and the guy is the head monk who smiles all the time when I talked to him.

Video is in Thai but you can just watch his movement (starts properly at 4:40). When I do it I focus on my skin sensations and awareness of my movement
youtube.com/watch?v=uYREbfDzIMA

Thank's user!

Psychology student here. There's a growing body of research pointing towards the hypothesis that meditation does have some positive effects. I'm about to try it myself. Sometimes some teachers (specially the I/O psychologists) makes us do 15 minutes of it. It does feel better, although I could do without the New age music.

I prefer just taking a quick cold shower

I love the woman from the School of Life. Her soft voice lets me melt away and makes me want to shove my hard cock in her tender mouth. I just want to bang her like 'BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG '

>What does Veeky Forums think of meditation and mindfulness?
I think you should define what "meditation" and "mindfulness" is in the first place before we start any further discussion.
They seem to be obvious, but only until you try to define them.

so, from what I've gathered here, it's basically the same as telling yourself "GET BACK TO WORK" when you're zoning out?

>watching school of life
>thinking about your feelings is """""""meditation"""""""

no

So wtf is it, I still don't get it.
Just please answer seriously, omitting the new age bs.

it's not completely unrelated
well, in your examples, what a successful (and possibly long) practice of meditation would lead to is you becoming aware that you are zoning out, and more importantly to notice the reasons that make you zone out

Unless meditation is you willingly putting yourself into a pseudo coma then its bullshit.

It's more about being mindful of the present moment. Not getting bogged down in the past, or making big hypothetical plans for the future, it's the idea that you focus on whats in front of you.
Meditation is generally about riding the "zone out" feeling.

>Meditation is generally about riding the "zone out" feeling.
Ok, now I'm confused. At first I thought it was about thinking about your status quo while sitting on an armchair for 30 minutes, but now it seems it's about, dunno, relaxing?

I do Tony Robbin's priming method. Very simple:

1) Sit down straight like you do in a chair.
2) Raise your hands above your head for 30 seconds, breathing in when hands go up and exhaling when hands go down. 3x (3 mins).
3) Put hands on heart for 30 seconds, feel the blood go through (30 secs).
4) Think about 3x things that you are grateful for (3 mins)
5) 3 things you want to accomplish, today/tomorrow/this year, whatever. (3 mins).

So nearly 10 mins. Easy.

Are you supposed to think about anything or just focus on something, e. g. breathing?

There are different types of meditation, but the most recommended for starters, is to focus on something like your breath.