I just finished reading the brothers Karamazov for the first time...

I just finished reading the brothers Karamazov for the first time. It was really an incredible book and maybe the most enjoyable one I've ever read.

The grand inquisitor chapter changed my mind about the existence of God. The earlier chapters were equally hilarious and educational about the nature of faith in a secular society. The later chapters had me gripped because the main characters were so fully fleshed out yet developing and having epiphanies on every page.

What did you love about the book? How many times have you read it? Seriously, every chapter could be expanded in to an entire book about either psychology or philosophy. It was that profound.

>The grand inquisitor chapter changed my mind about the existence of God
In what ways?

One of my personal favorites. I read it numerous times, so much so I read P&V translation, Garnett's and one by Andrew R. McAndrew, the last translator is more modern and easy to read. Out of the whole book the chapter of Elder Zosima's Life really hit me. I didn't expect that a fictional character could be so real, and from time to time I read that chapter in it's entirety. Here's a passage from that chapter I like;

>For all men in our age are separated into units, each seeks seclusion in his own hole, each withdraws from the others, hides himself, and hides what he has, and ends by pushing himself away from people and pushing people away from himself.

Great book, didnt make me a christcuck tho, the memories of that old monk were my favorite part of the book.

I most strongly recall Dmitri's suicidal drinking bout. Still gives me the howling fantods.

Dmitri is such a beautiful character

>le christcuck meme

Care too shed some light on the eternal 'p&v is shit' discussion often seen on here? I've only read the p&v translation and thought it was an amazing book.

what translation should i read

What was the point of the girl in the wheelchair, can't even remember her name.

Showing Aliosha's fetish of choice, Dosto explained it in the Joe Rogan show

There is a half-legend that the book was supposed to be only the first part of a trilogy, and that in the latter parts Alyosha would become a narodnik revolutionary terrorist.

>The grand inquisitor chapter changed my mind about the existence of God.
damn i need to read this then. i want to kill myself but i'm too afraid to because i don't believe in an afterlife. if i can find a good reason to believe in god again i can finally end my suffering.

To show the corrupting power of Ivan's atheism

You do know where suicides go, right?
If you do kys you'd be better off if there isn't an afterlife.

Read the entire book

Learn Cyrillic

but it's so long

not really

isnt it almost 1000 pages long

>not reading at least 2000 pages a day

what are you even doing here?

What is Veeky Forums final verdict on which English translation is the best so I can avoid it?

ruining my life

Avsey > McDuff > P&V
From the ones I've read.

I'm about 60 pages from the ending and I'm already planning on reading it again. First time through to get familiar with the characters, plot and obvious themes, then a second/third/fourth time through to get deep into the ideas and meaning behind it all.

It's been insane reading it, even without trying to analyze the philosophical and psychological themes in each chapter, it managed to change the way I think of religion/Christianity. I'd always thought of it as joining a kind of group-think mentality that told you what to think, but The Grand Inquisitor, the chapter on Father Ferapont and the life of Zosima showed me that it can be a deeply personal thing.

I also liked the Ferapont chapters (And others that deal with this idea) especially because of how the tied in with Dostoevsky's own ideas towards organized religion