Will "The Story of the Vivian Girls, in what is Known as the Realms of the Unreal...

Will "The Story of the Vivian Girls, in what is Known as the Realms of the Unreal, of the Glandeco-Angelinnian War Storm, Caused by the Child Slave Rebellion" ever be fully published? I would love to skim through this work. Henry Darger was fascinating, and it's a shame that only excerpts have ever been printed. Where are the actual manuscripts even located?

>old white CIS-het male

*yawns*

if only you knew

no it's actually great

I've been wanting to read it as well since someone mentioned it on here some weeks ago. It made me interested in outsider lit in general. Anyone have any other recommendations (preferably ones you can actually get access to)?

I think the manuscripts are located in the museum they made for him

How could one possibly read it?
I mean how could one actually acquire the text

I'm guessing it's going to be like PKD's Exegesis, never fully published because editing thousands of pages written by a crazy man is not worth the money

I think it's a given that the Realms will be made available at some point. I'm more concerned about Crazy House and The Story of My Life, them being in the worse condition that they're in.
But it won't be for a long time. It'll be such an undertaking, what with the length, the tedium of it, and his idiosyncratic errors. Plus, since it's riddled with passages lifted from other books, it would be nothing short of a copyright nightmare. And then the question of how to incorporate the illustrations, because they're absolutely critical, from my studying. MacGregor's book discusses, among other things, what a pain in the rear it would be.
Michael Bonesteel said in a talk from 2013 that he's trying to edit the first part of the story down into something readable though, just to give those interested a taste of what the novel is actually like; said he was planning to do three volumes, or at least just one if the interest wasn't there. Haven't heard anything new about the project since then, unfortunately.
Until then, it's the MacGregor biography that really gives the best impression of the novel. Shame about the price that it's scarcity's kicked up, but if anyone wants me to take a few pictures from my copy, I can.
And the manuscripts are at INTUIT.

>CIS-het
Read Jim Elledge's book. It's great, if a little sentimental at times, and really explores his sexuality and gender issues.
Basically, you're wrong.

Go to the reading room at INTUIT and convince them to let you. It's mostly just available to scholars, but I'm not sure about the microfilms.
I'm kind of hoping that when Kiyoko croaks, they'll be made available; what she's done to the Darger estate is honestly kind of infuriating...

>Story of My Life
I meant History, whoops.

He's posterboy of the Outsider artists. Granted, it's a niche market, but seeing as the niche is practically defined by eccentricity and hypergraphia, I think there's a chance.

I certainly hope so

I emailed a Henry Darger scholar about this (same guy who's book on Darger I own). He's working on publishing selections from the work. According to him a true 'abridgement' isn't really possible. The actual text may likely become available to the public domain digitally though, if you have the great desire to read even a percentage of it.

I am fascinated by Darger but haven't spent much time on his writing. Realms of the Unreal is apparently the largest work of fiction ever created. I can only imagine how much is actually worth engaging in. Props to whomever has the impetus to sort through all that obsession-driven prose.

Bonesteel, I'm guessing? Did he give any indication on what a release date for the 'abridgement' would be? I've been tossing up the idea of sending him a message for months, but I haven't worked out how to compose it without sounding like a retarded fanboy.

Can anyone go read them?

are there any examples of "outsider" lit in print?

Is there any way to buy something for a reasonable price containing his fiction or drawing? I thought this guy was a curiosity but his art is amazing and twisted.

This pls. What are examples of this

Maybe don't worry so much. Yeah, Bonesteel. He said the project is mired right now with publishing problems and the sheer task of compiling the selections.

>DUDE GIRLS WITH DICKS LMAO

OP here. I happened to email him last night and received a response:

>The American Folk Art Museum recently wrote a grant to have all of Darger's writings digitally photographed, but I don't know if that in fact has been submitted yet. If and when that project is completed, AFAM will hopefully upload that online.

>I had an agent attempt to find a publisher for my "abridgement" (significant excerpts) of the Realms of the Unreal, but he had no luck. I am now approaching some non-commercial academic presses to see if there is any interest.

He was nice enough to get back quickly, but it seems like the waiting game continues.

The Lonely City has some interesting info about him.