Engineers

Redpill me on why engineers are considered cucks/hated on Veeky Forums

>redpill me

Because they actually have well paying jobs and a bright future ahead of them, instead of being permanently broke and depressed like all the math majors on this shitty board.

because they actually get jobs

Some engineers are fine, can be brilliant (Tesla and a few astronauts come to mind), and have an ok attitude. But for some unknown reason, many if not most engineers on social media act like retarded assholes. Social media is like a big mirror. Whatever you present to it is about what it will reflect back to you.

I came here to post this.
>t. electromechanical engineer

If I have the same subject (materials science), is there any reason to get bachelors of science over bachelors of engineering?

>all the math majors
ahh thats where all the "1 != 0.9..." threads stem from.

here ya go

They just want high paying jobs and don't care about science or math. They chose it because its lucrative and is has some social esteem, while also justifying their lack of social skills and nerd hobbies.

I have social skills, I just want a future ;-;

Engineer here.

I'm pretty sure its because the professors love to drive the idea that engineering (specifically mechanical and electrical) are the hardest undergraduates to obtain, by the wide scope of knowledge we have to know.

However, I think that's wrong. I couldnt imagine what it takes to be a physics major.

As well, the scope of knowledge isn't that wide. My father, who is a low voltage technician, high school drop out, knows about 75% of the conceptual concepts Ive learned up to now (last semester of junior year).

Tl:dr Engineering is challenging, but their are a lot of inflated egos in engineering for reasons that aren't quite true.

I meant engineering student here

In France, nearly every engineer just want to make money even if they hate their jobs. They say it's an easy and well paid job. It will be funny to see them in 15 years when they will be depressed because they don't like sciences.

It is the mathematicians and scientists who get cucked by Chad engies. Scientists spend their whole miserable lives doing research and publishing, while engies take their beautiful theories, fuck them up to hells end, and makes a actual product more than 2 people give a shit about.

It's like letting Tyrone fuck your wife while all your normie friends pay for the resulting sex tape.

thats a big dick
for you

>I'm a student
>my dad knows 75% of what I know
If you think this proves anything, kys.

>tfw engineering technologist
>pleb tier 2 year diploma
>too stupid to be a real engineer
>some sort of disgusting engineer-tradesman hybrid
>make only 50k starting

Is suicide my only option?

/thread

Can I become an automotive engineer if I'm a 127 IQ brainlet?

>50k starting with a 2 year degree
>bad
Love these memes desu, and love the United States of America.

>studied computer engineering
>great chill co-ops
>robotics!
>get to study shit that actually helped me get a job
>now work as automotive embedded software guy
>fun co-workers, pizza and beer fridays
>only have to look into wordy academic paper very occasionally, the rest is pure problem solving
>happy and comfy, work is fun

I'd blow my brains out if I had to do pure math every day. I get tons of new problems everyday (hardware and software)

I think you mean
You ever seen the matrix, bud?

I'm an ECE thinking of going into embedded systems. Only problem is I hate verilog with a passion. Pleas tell me it's more C than verilog.

>electromechanical

Engineers are butchers who Jerry rig shit to work, and are rewarded handsomely in a free market. They are clean-up crews in a sense. A lot of science provides nothing but ideas that further mankind, and "profit eats Innovation for lunch." If you can't actually use string theory, you won't get paid, which is a sad fact.

Isn’t median starting for ME like 15k more? AFAIK anything above 40 will let you live comfortably if you’re single with no kids

This is true, it's all a meme. The professors have huge egos. The students got memed into the degree because muh legos and $$$. And they think it's hard because when they all get Cs in differential equations, the only way they can rationalize it is by convincing themselves that their degree is just soooo challenging, instead of realizing maybe they just aren't as smart as they thought they were. -t. electrical & computer engineer
An example of this came up the other day, at my school the math department has a condensed complex variables & vector calc class for engineers (specifcally, EEs), along with separate classes on complex analysis and vector calc for math + physics students. I decided to take the separate classes because I wanted more depth and rigor, but the group of people I was talking to assumed I did it because it "had to be easier than the engineering version! it's only one term!".
Also I was helping the one kid look for math classes to take, and he saw the course description for graduate-level harmonic analysis, and he said it would be easy since he already knows how to use fourier transforms. Fucking lol

isn't verilog more for digital design? At least at my uni it was used for those course and only C and sometimes assembly were used for embedded related classes. I hate embedded and digital, but verilog and VHDL are absolute shit to me.

see Also pic related sums up why they hate stats/applied guys.

They arent cucks or are hated theyre just usually homosexual and they usually dont know even the amount of science and math you'd need for their job

Its adomino effect why engineers become assholes. You see engineering professors are assholes because unlike other professors they never were trained to be educators (get a degree of some type in education) so they treat students like fresh pieces of meat at a private firm. Engineering professors will yell at you for a wrong answer the same way they would yell at you for a fuck up at the firm. A Math professor or Physics professor will not yell at you for a wrong answer, they will guide you to the correct answer and if worse comes to worse will tell you politely maybe the class is too hard for you. All engineering professors come straight from firms and have no clue how to teach thus the engineering students learn to be assholes like their professors.

because they create actual value for the world and we're doing just useless theory

Same reason Veeky Forums hates CS - they actually make money even though their job is "(((easier)))" according to math majors

>inb4 mathfag comes to say "b-b-but I make $80k!"
Haha poorfags

Engineers are just Mechanics with less practical experience

maybe because they are neither scientists nor mathematicians.

CS should just remove the word "science" from it.

Because Veeky Forums posters are mostly math and physics students who observe their engineering students and/or friends often sucks humongous cocks at math/physics. Engineers also have a way of brushing aside anything remotely theoretical to suck their own penises.

To add to this, I am a mathematician myself and I can only dream about sucking my own. Engineers put that dream into practice and can suck their own penis in real life.

To add to this, my penis is incredibly small while an engineer's cock is massive.

Could you tell me more about your daily work routine? By problem solving, do you mean finding inverse kinematics and dynamics?

Assembly lines and factories

Who here biomedical ? :D

This is a result of mathematicians and physicists being unemployable in industry, thus they have none of the industry (real life) experience to pass on to the students. Engineers need to learn to not fuck up because lives are at stake if they do.

Engies to Veeky Forums are what chads are to /r9k/.
Lower effort, higher payout. Generally a more fun life in whole

I'm glad somebody already made this pic
I was doing it

>why engineers are considered cucks/hated on Veeky Forums
sci doesn't hate engineers, Veeky Forums is lgbt friendly

In Europe it's called "informatics".
That better?

Engineers are doing it for the money, scientists are doing for the passion for science. One side is never going to understand the other because of that. It's that simple.

It’s not that we hate them, it’s just that they are off-topic on a “Science and Math” board.

Engineering is not a science. It is a professional study. That’s not bad or anything, but once we start considering professional studies as sciences then we might as well have plumbers and doctors shitpost here as well

Engineers hey I learn hardcore physic and math, I am smart.

Real life engineers never write single proof just read math for engineers books, physics are minimal on mechanics/termodinamics using calculus and linear algebra, Hamiltonian mechanics or statistical physics begins PhD things for them.

Mechatronics, I do research in bionics and its application in prosthetics.

Biomedical b.sci reporting in :DDDDD
Doing Mech. Eng. Master's Degree atm :DDDD

You really think a profession that uses math and physics should not post on this board? I mean Only Physicists and Mathematicians know more math than an Engineer yet you are fine with biologists and chemists here who only use basic algebra at most.

>never written a proof
You are absolutely right. Engineers never write "proofs", they build them.

Because they can actually achieve things without a 150+ IQ, unlike Math majors, who are doomed to a life of mediocrity.

>Hamiltonian mechanics or statistical physics begins PhD things for them.
Depending on the degree it's BSc or MSc.
FTFY

They hate on the fact that a smart engineer is better than their smartest physicist at everything. The best engineer is physicist and mathematician at heart who likes to build shit and contribute everything from theory to the last screw in a design. No physicist could ever come close. Considering that even Dirac was an engineer.

The average engineer is an experimental physicist, again more useful than theoretical dick measuring.

Also, engineers were the first physicists in existence, as they observed nature and made the first human made structures: buildings, bridges, weaponry, etc.

Now, that human knowledge is vast, we need to allocate the research to other people too, so we keep the cool stuff, the control and the money.

Engineers observe nature and hack it, fuck it up in the ass to do their biding. They make models based on these observations alongside (applied) physicists. However, engineers learn to build way better models. They have to concern themselves with both pure theory and practical models and how they can make those practical models play nicely with theory.
They always build a working model with what they know and slowly work on building better models based on the available data. The level of detail increases, the level of approximation decreases, however they always use the right amount from each for the job.
Sciences are solely concerned with building knowledge about how nature works, but don't care that much about interactions and possibilities, certainly not in a way where you have to know stuff so you can hack it like a computer.

Even the average engineer, who not necessarily super IQ high has to be versatile. Interdisciplinary is the first word engineers learn.

Science guys always specialize way too much even in a single field. Instead of moaning they could maybe compete, but they know they can't. That's why they cry like faggots.

I forgot to add that because of these exact facts, reasons I have mentioned above every single competent physicist is/was an engineer. No exception. Applies to an enormous number of mathematicians too.
Even biologists, see the Schmitt trigger.
Even when they received their degrees in a different field, it was their engineering aptitude and knowledge that made the success they were/are.
See Schmitt, Feynman, Dirac, R. Kalman.

>chemists
>basic algebra at most
Holy shit you are just proving everybody's point about how stupid engineers are.

>he is stupid because he doesn't give a shit about a meme profession
Chemical Engineers are better than Chemists.

No...? He's stupid because he's talking about things he doesn't have knowledge on and making a fool of himself process.
>Chemical Engineers are better than Chemists.
Haha sure thing, my man. Whatever it is you have to tell yourself to feel better :^)

>Experimental physicists have to be good at engineering
Wow no shit

I'all need to stop hating on each other. It's pathetic. I am an electrical engineer and I have the utmost admiration and respect for my fellow scientists and mathematicians. When you guys hate each other (both engineer and scientists) you are just trying to hide or amend your inflated and yet hurt and flawed collective egos

This is pretty true. Same goes for applied mathematicians and applied physicists with them having lives at stake but this is not nearly as common.

I disagree. I was originally gonna be a physics major and switched into Materials Engineering because I like soft matter and condensed matter. I fucking love math.

But yeah a lot of engineers couldn't care less about science and definitely math.

you mean architects

Even with kids. I grew up in a family of five and my parents would bring home no more than $25,000 per year and we got by. If you're single with $40,000 per year then you will be comfy.

Its pretty simple really, people are considered engineers after a 4 year undergrad (re adult daycare) which they only took because they were too stupid to make money in finance. Understandably this pisses off every phd, jd, and md in existence because the normies lump them all together.

>Architects
user you think anything built by an architect could stand by itself? Architectural Engineering is now becoming a thing because architects are so inept.

>people are considered engineers after getting a 4 year degree
Hello retard. You don't even know the first thing about engineering. It takes a minimum of 8 years to become an engineer. Engineering degree, take FE exam and pass then you become an EIT, not an engineer. Wait 4 more years working at a firm under the guidance of an engineer THEN you can take the PE exam and then you become an engineer.

>conceptual concepts

you're doing some big thinks

Reading comprehension how does it work?
Notice I said considered and then went on to explain that I think the hate comes from normies perceptions.

Where did you say that user?
>Its pretty simple really, people are considered engineers after a 4 year undergrad (re adult daycare) which they only took because they were too stupid to make money in finance. Understandably this pisses off every phd, jd, and md in existence because the normies lump them all together.
YOU consider grads with a 4 year degree an engineer. It's ok to be a brainlet user.

Nice try. That dude hit you right where it hurts, right?
You just proved his point. He basically said that you can earn more in less time with a financial background. Which is indeed a nice dream. At least you could have pointed out that an entrepreneurial engineer has better background in math and harder to deceive with tech.

I wholeheartedly agree with you. It's never really about the degree you get, it's about you and what you know. Of course, a related degree is usually a requirement everywhere, but an engineering degree doesn't automatically make you into something which is called an engineer, it doesn't change your biology. LOL

People do sometimes think like that though, for whatever reason.

Many very talented people I know could have done physics instead of engineering or vice-versa. If you want to stay competent, you have to learn to learn auto didactically on your own. That's when your degree becomes quite irrelevant.

But I guess 4chin does what 4chin does best...

Brah we are making generalizations about the culture of a major, not every person in it. Of course there are smart engineers.

>this was written by engineering student

RIP engineering

>of course there are smart engineers
This is why Veeky Forums is the most autistic board. You guys sincerely think Engineering is for idiots.

what it's not?

I hope this comment was just a shitpost.

These seem too high. Surely there's not enough 130 IQ people for that to be the average for a math major.

>estimated from average GRE scores
lol

where did you live? Probably not near a city

>Real life engineers never write single proof
that should tell you how unimportant proofs are in the real world

How do I get into this field? I'm about to start my senior year of undergrad EE

Basic calculus at best m8

sh-shut up b-brainlet

>Real life engineers never write single proof just read math for engineers books
How does it feel to fall for Reddit memes?

Engineers tend to be bull-headed because they actually know how to build things.

Actual work > Paperwork

The problem with you math majors is the majority of you guys will end up as teachers in a school which really is a problem because you are an autistic 4chaner. I mean I really wouldn't want some guy who masturbates to Cowboy Bepop to be teaching my kids.

for the same reason engineers hate software engineers and computer scientists

It started with the “all engineers love cock” meme. The original meme has been forgotten but the once pseudo hatred has turned into legitimate anger. Mostly due to the fact that most degrees in a science related field dont make heaps of cash like engineering does, despite requiring more mental bandwidth in most cases. Its like the IQ circle jerk, those in acedemia and research think they are superior for the intellectual demands of their job and engineers think they are superior for the financial rewards of theirs. In a society where money is valued over most things the scientists feel the need to prove their superiority while the engineers are just reaping the rewards, not really contributing as much to the flame war on Veeky Forums.

wow. This is actually something to think about. What do software engineers hate? Are they at the top?

There is no way I am between 120 and 130 IQ. Maybe 115 on a good day.

THE COLOR OF THE BACKGROUND IS NOT THE SAME REEEEEEEEEEEEEE

You should have either:
1. Majored in ME and specialized in mechatronics
2. Done some ME courses on the side

it's just russian sky, just appreciate it.

>Engineers are doing it for the money, scientists are doing for the passion for science.

BS... it's the difference between people who like to do useful things and people who like to sit and pretend they do something useful. Theoreticians captured the academia because while experimentalists/engineers do things, they have time for politics. Everything that makes civilization was created by an engineer, often self-taught.

It's only going to end when the student debt bubble collapses, leading to enormous cuts in funding. Hopefully soon.