Should I take "intro to number theory" as a sophomore at a top 20 uni in the US studying math/comp sci

should I take "intro to number theory" as a sophomore at a top 20 uni in the US studying math/comp sci

i've taken about 2 years of pretty intense linear algebra and multivariable calc, in which rigorous proofs were taught and applied to everything we learned

the book the course uses is
>Elementary Number Theory, 6th ed Kenneth Rosen Pearson

I really just want something interesting to tickle my fancy about some deeper level fields of study

well boys im going for it, its being taught by a grad school lecturer i haven't heard of as an introduction

apparently she taught at mit

nobody's taken a course like this? im disappointed in you Veeky Forums

nigga take that shit. Number theory is the first stepping stone on the road to true abstract algebra.

if you like it read Ian Stuart's Galois theory. Absolutely euphoric results. There is no algebraic quintic formula ? The reason why is rooted in group theory !?!? I came when I finally understood.

Elementary number theory courses tend to be pretty dry, but go for it. Number theory is beautiful, but a lot of the good stuff draws from advanced tools from all different areas of math.

>i've taken about 2 years of pretty intense linear algebra and multivariable calc, in which rigorous proofs were taught and applied to everything we learned
What school?

You should take it. It is very fun. The only problem with undergrad number theory is that courses in elem. number theory never use all you know. For example, by now you know limits, integration and derivatives and there are a billion ways to apply that to number theory. Specially integrals. But you will most likely never see how that is used. If you are lucky, your professor will integrate group theory into it and that is good, but not enough. I really wish the analytic aspects of number theory were not neglected, specially when the course is aimed to experts of calculus.

I used that book in my Number Theory class and it taught me just fine but to be honest beginning number theory is an easy subjext.

northwestern

interesting, thanks for this

alright - and yeah, that's what I was expecting, I'm kind of taking this to supplement another mid-difficulty-tier math class

interesting - thanks

questionable language but I appreciate the input honestly, i'll check it out

Elementary gayber theoshit

don't say "rigorous proofs" if you don't know what proofs are. you didn't prove the fundamental theorem of calculus, and yet you heavily used it in calc.

that said, what are the alternatives? sounds like a fun little class. Ireland & Rosen's "classical introduction" is a much better book, but requires some background in elementary math.

fair point, but I have gone much further beyond that point lol
and there's an intro to topology but i'm not that interested, but if there were bad things to say about this class i'd reconsider.

what's your background, and what are your interests? if you want into math, take Real Analysis (321) and Abstract Algebra (331), they will fuck you up and you will end up strong

the number theory class looks good honestly, given your computer science interests I'd also consider Combinatorics & Discrete Mathematics and Graph Theory

i tried taking real analysis but dropped it after a few weeks because i was taking some other more intense CS classes at the beginning of my sophomore (current) yr

im taking combinatorics and also graph theory next quarter

good for comb / graph. that's a shame about analysis, are you more interested in CS then? you can't do any serious math without analysis and algebra

The FTC is not particularly difficult to prove you fucking retard.

to derive or to prove?

you're right, a much better example is the change of variable formula or the generalized FTC (green's, classic stoke's)

>9299209

op here, i really enjoyed these

yeah im more interested in cs

i dont really care about non-applicable math THAT much

mate applied math is very rich in theory, and it, too, relies heavily on analysis and algebra. but it's ok not to care about math.

Do you like prime numbers? Like, do you really love prime numbers and their properties? Does the thought of proving a number is prime get you rock hard? If you answered yes, then sure take the class. If you had to hesitate before answering, then don't take the class. I hated my undergrad number theory course. I hated everyday of that course. Yes the coursework was easy, but the material was boring as shit.
>inb4 number theory is beautiful
No it's not. Your levels of cringe rival those of the current Cuckistani movement.
>muh chinese remainder theorem
>muh Euler
No no no. STFU. Study real math OP: real analysis, abstract algebra, mathematical statistics, hell numerical analysis would be a good course since you're studying CS.

Lol do you know how much abstract algebra exists solely for answering number theoretic questions? Math is so intertwined that it's stupid to have your attitude about real fields.

>t. freshman
number theory has very rich relations with complex analysis and algebraic geometry. refrain from commenting on math you don't know yet

>>>/numberphile/
Did you miss the part in the OP where he stated that it would be an elementary number theory course?

Yeah shouldn't be a problem for you considering your background

i'm not answering OP, i'm answering your retarded freshman attitude towards a rich field of mathematics.

whether an elementary first class can or cannot show its richness a different discussion entirely

>retarded freshman attitude
I am not an undergrad, but nice try using that as an insult. Number theory is shit. Deal with it.

You don't need to be an undergrad to have a retarded freshman attitude about things. Enjoy your highly specific corner that nobody cares about I guess.

>Enjoy your highly specific corner that nobody cares about I guess.
Yeah no one cares about statistical learning. FML I should have studied number theory so I could be living a comfy life of poverty, right senpai?

You really are very immature, though. That guy is right.

Number theory is for fucking bitches.
Literally meme pop math.
It's a joke that people care so much about PWIME NUMBAHS :D *drools*

>rigorous proofs
>linear algebra and multivariable cale
pick one

>experts of calculus
Are you one of those legendary individuals who can solve triple integrals?

I'm taking a number theory class right now and it's fun.

>but it's ok not to care about math
no it's not

>>Real Analysis (321) and Abstract Algebra (331),
>implying your school's course numbers mean shit outside of your school

Fucking retards

nice but these are the northwestern code courses and he was replying to me. the OP, who attends that school

THIS