All heroin writings aside, what do you guys think of pic related as a writer/poet?

All heroin writings aside, what do you guys think of pic related as a writer/poet?

Other urls found in this thread:

static.urx.io/units/web/urx-unit-loader.gif
dmrockmusic.com/lyrics.php?disk=660
youtube.com/watch?v=JSUIQgEVDM4
youtube.com/watch?v=t3jf9_rua5Q
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

better musician than a poet but a decent enough poet too

strange days is a sick album

I fucking love the Doors but it doesn't translate that well onto paper

I'd say he was more a performer than a writer despite him labeling himself as vice versa

Imo the doors havent aged well at all

Their music sounds hollow and corny

La woman is the best because blues music is timeless

Morrison was a decent singer and frontman but a charlatan

Sadly, you're correct about how their music hasn't aged too well. Their debut album SCREAMS late 60s and nothing but.

i have a feeling you just can't into that showman, cabaret aspect of their music, but i love it. theatricality is an essential component to their style and is an area where morrison truly shines.

I used to love it, i just dont think their sound has aged well, probably because of no dedicated bassist and relying on manzarek to do it

All their albums are relics of the time, except LA woman

good bombast is timeless mate

they have a distinctly 60s sound, but at the same time it's always the 60s on their terms and their terms alone. which of their contemporaries had even a similar vibe?

They are definitely original, i just believe their sound has not aged well

In terms of power and soul of performance, I'd argue Joplin was Morrison's female counterpart.

Jimbo, boy, you're a crock of shit
You're a boozed selfish thug
Why don't you give your mouth a go
And in the other hole put a plug
By Christ you've got a long, long way
On a schoolboy's talent with words
One crappy bit of symbolism
And you're adored by an army of turds

You're a selfish, rude, arrogant prick
You're basically pretty stupid
You're mysticism's a lump of shit
And so are all the girls you've rooted

So don't talk about being sad and lonely
or fucking misunderstood
'cause underneath that self-pitying phoney
Is a selfish, brutal hood

I support the police that took you off stage
I support the fact you bled
I support the cops who carried you off
I support the fact you're dead

I think that you're a troubled guy
And I think that's nothing new
I think your fans are a bunch of turds
Almost as immature as you

And when I'm in my supermarket
And some prick pushes in front of my trolley
I'll be reminded of your stinking bravado
And I'll ask the cunt to say sorry

Your fans would excuse every rudeness
Just 'cause it comes from you
You'd tell them to go drop dead
And they'd say "oh how true, how true, how true"

You need a nine-to-five job, Jimbo
You need to get to Flinders Street by train
Go and find yourself a regular income
Then you can write a song about pain

Try and save for the kiddie's school fees
Take some care when you drive a car
Put your goddamn rubbish in a bin
You fucking great rock superstar

You have spawned a host of cock-sure shits
That are nearly always filthy rich
And think 'cause they're a little like ol' Jimbo
They can act like stinking pricks

An army of brainless arty youth
They look down upon us common plods
But they barrack for good ol' Morrison
Like the fucking Richmond cheer squad

image: static.urx.io/units/web/urx-unit-loader.gif

So when you're listening to Morrisons Hostel
And Jimbo, he's in top form
Whining about this harsh cruel world
And the fact he was ever born

Remember his fans are rapt
And brooding over their suffering lives
And go to discuss it at 'Thrash and Treasure'
At least if daddy will drive

Jimbo. King of the private school kids
The girls from PLC who identify with his tortured soul
'cause they've just dropped boyfriend number three
He was Kent from Xavier College,
In HSC he got an A for English
But between Jimbo and William Blake
He hasn't the fucking brains to distinguish

Jimbo. Father of a generation of private school depression idols
From Nick Cave on they don't kill themselves
Just tell us why they're suicidal
He has made self pity legitimate
It means we'll have to face
One after another, artists with integrity
Like 'REO Speedwagon'.

- this is serious mum, "Morrison Hostel"

Joplin was miles ahead vocally, not in the same league at all

>band's name is TISM
Like pottery.

>sound has aged well,
What does this even mean? That it doesn't sound much like modern music? Well, no shit. That's a positive, if anything. But people still love them. They probably have more fans now than back when they started.

Actually, there's only about 10 bands from that entire decade that people still care about, and the doors are one of them.

It hasn't aged well in the sense that 95% of elvis songs havent

It's just something retarded people say. Like "style over over substance".

His lyics are shit.

dmrockmusic.com/lyrics.php?disk=660

He rhymes like a little child.

During a 1981 interview with Blair Jackson of BAM Magazine in the midst of one of many Doors-revivals...
JACKSON: we're doing an issue of bam magazine on the doors
GARCIA: i never liked the doors. i found them terribly offensive...when we played with them. it was back when jim morrison was just a pure mick jagger copy. that was his whole shot, that he was a mick jagger imitation. not vocally, but his moves, his whole physical appearance were totally stolen from right around mick jagger's 1965 tour of the states. he used to move around alot, before he started to earn a reputation as a poet, which i thought was really undeserved. rimbaud was great at eighteen,nineteen, and verlaine. those guys were great. fuckin jim morrison was not great, i'm sorry. i could never see what it was about the doors. they had a very brittle sound live., a three piece band with no bass- the organ player (manzarek) used to do it. that and that kinda raga-rock guitar style was strange. it sounded very brittle and sharp -edged to me., not something i enjoyed listening to. i kind of apreciated some of the stuff they did later, and i appreciated a certain amount of morrison's sheer craziness, just because that's always a nice trait in rock n roll. no, i never knew him, but richard loren, who works for us, was his agent and had to babysit him through his most drunken scenes and all the times he got busted and all that crap. he's got lots of storeies to tell about morrison. i was never attracted to their music at all, so i couldn't find anything to like about them. when we played with them, i think i watched the first tune or two, then i went upstairs and fooled around with my guitar. there was nothing there that i wanted to know about. he was so patently an imitation of mick jagger that it was offensive. to me, when the doors played san francisco they typified los angeles coming to san francisco., which i equated with having the look right, but zero substance. this is way before that hit song, light my fire. probably at that time in their development it was too early for anyone to make a decent judgement of them, but i've always looked for something else in music, and whatever it was, they didn't have it. they didn't have anything of blues, for example , in their sound or feel. JACKSON: DID you sense the negativity?

1/2

jerry: no, not really. all i sensed was sham. as far as i was concerned, it was surface and no substance. then we played with them after the light my fire thing, when they were headliners. we opened for them in santa barbara some years later, when they were a little more popwerful. their sound had gotten better- they'd gotten more effectively amplified, so manzarek's bass lines and stuff like that had a little more throb, but their sound was still thin. it wasn't a succesful version of a three piece band, like the who or jimi hendrix, or cream, or any other guitar power trio type three piece bands. it's an interesting concept, a three piece band that's keyboard, guitar, drums, but it was missing some element i thought was vital. i couldn't say exactly what it was, but it was not satisfying for me to listen to them. when they were the headliners, it was sort of embarrasing for us to open for them, cause we sort of blew them off the stand with just sheer power. what we had with double drums and phil's bass playing-it got somewhere, and when they played there was an anticlimax feeling to it, even with their hits. in the part of my life when i was impressionable along that androgynous input, for me the people that were happening were james dean and elvis. early rock and roll- i'm like first generation rock and roll influence. for me, james dean was a real important figure. he was the romantic fulfillment of that vision.

2/2

What's wrong with these lyrics?

youtube.com/watch?v=JSUIQgEVDM4

'The end' is bretty gud

Came here to post this

Jim Morrison was an actual dog shit poet. It was all about his performances.

>Imo the doors havent aged well at all
>Their music sounds hollow and corny
Read some of the older interviews. People thought the lyrics and music were corny when their first album came out. Doesn't help that Jim Morrison was a batshit crazy drug addict who was a complete asshole to his friends.

Easily their best, yeah.

Some of their songs are good, most are a bit crappy.

I find their best stuff is when they aren't trying to be all deep and mystical.

youtube.com/watch?v=t3jf9_rua5Q

This is a good song.

>plebs itt
stick to Veeky Forums and leave /mu/ to the real patricians, fags.

If you actually think The Doors are good then you, fine sir, are the pleb. Go listen to some actual good 60's psychedelic rock and leave us patricians alone.

They were a pop band with pretensions. And they made good soundtracks to Vietnam movies. Almost as good as It Aint Me.

>A beast car locked in against morning.
>All now sleeping
>Rugs silent, mirrors vacant,
>Dust blind under the beds of lawful couples
>Wound in sheets.
>And daughters, smug with semen.
>Eyes in their nipples

>tits
>shit

what do you consider actual good 60s psych

>fine sir
>actual good
>leave us patricians alone.

Cringed so hard I snapped my spine.

>cmon baby, take a chance with us
>and meet me at the back of the blue bus

What did he mean by this?
I love Jim and the Doors, but some of the lyrics (especially the drugged our rhapsodizing on the End) are abject shit

actual picture of my eyes reading this post

CHUG-A-CHUG A CHUN-CHUN LOVE ME TWO TIMEES IVE WA WA WS CHUN CHUN CHUN CHUN DA-TEW DA LOVE ME TWOO TIAA IVEEE WAAAN WA WAAA DA-TEW DA-TEW DA-TEW-TEW THE DOORS ARE SOO GOOD EXPERIENCEE THE OTHER SIDE BABY WITH THE TAKING OF DRUGSS DUDE WEED LMAO AMIRITE CHUG-A-CHUG-A-CHUN-CHUN LOVEEEEER MEE DAMN SO GOOD SHIT

MORRISON IS GOD WITH CAPITAL D (FROM ALL THE DRUGS!)

>Jim Morrison was an actual dog shit poet. It was all about his performances.
Nope, it was all about his beauty.

The only thing he had, the only thing that made people pay attention, was his extremely good-looking physic, and nothing more.

His poetry is so bad it actually hurts. I don’t know how much he could have achieved if he had the time and the calm environment to read more, write more, to actually grow up and take his writing seriously. Who can guess what he could have achieved?

But he was just one more son of his own time. Yet nobody can deny he was an Adonis when it comes down to his looks. I envy his physic.

>(especially the drugged our rhapsodizing on the End)

>he doesn't exclusively listen to the end at the tail-end of psychedelic trips and suicidal multi-day drinking bouts where the lyrics make sense

>namedrops verlaine and rimbaud like dylan

kek that's what makes musicians bad writers, they don't read. Leonard Cohen is one of the few that read and was actually a poet.

If i'm not mistaken though Jim stole most his moves from Van Morrison who he was supporting for a while before the band even had an album out in LA as an opening act.

>He was also influenced by William S. Burroughs, Jack Kerouac, Allen Ginsberg, Lawrence Ferlinghetti, Charles Baudelaire, Molière, Franz Kafka, Honoré de Balzac and Jean Cocteau, along with most of the French existentialist philosophers

I know he was a pseud, pretentious, poseur, but he was one of the few rock and rollers to come along and try to introduce Veeky Forums elements into his music which lyrically made a huge difference.

Along with the lsd and other psychedelic drugs that were being used in the 60s I appreciate the sensitivity it brought to a lot of the artists at the time in genres like rock that nowadays can be hard to find.

Jimi hendrix is another prime example of this, he has these "classic" straightforward rock songs scattered throughout all his albums then this intense sensitivity with one rainy wish, bold as love, 1983 a mermaid i should turn to be.

>what do you consider actual good 60s psych
not the guy you're replying to but this

"Give me a pop-song, mate. Give me a fucking pop-song. Not only is it more fun, it's pretty fuckin' hard to write as well. You can bung in as many out-of-tune oboes as you want, but putting chords together so they sound pleasant isn't as simple as it might appear. It mightn't be the Sistine Chapel, but what is? Ollie fucking Olsen with his stupid feedback and cough mixture? The Jesus and Mary Chain, with their stupid feedback, and their stupid stage show with 800 powerful stupid lights and enough stupid dry ice to enhance their stupid stupidity up its own bullshit crappy teenage pretentious one dimensional dick witted puissant artistic enigma?

So ... what have you listened to for a good time that isn't, after all, a 'traditional' song? Still playing the Mike Oldfield records, huh? Still whipping Yessongs on for a good time? Wanna count on one hand how many people have fun at a Sonic Youth gig? I'm not supporting The Choirboys, old man, I'm just saying that the day some jumped-up over-paid self-important post-modernist cocksucker puts his foot upon his Fairlight computer in the middle of his 47 minute opus "The Silent Forgiveness Of The Pig-God" and belts out the chords to "Johnny B. Goode" is the day I'll join you at the footlights of post-modernism.

Besides which, pop songs sell more."
- TISM

Tism are Veeky Forums

The most Veeky Forums musicians are Nick Cave and Cohen because they actually wrote some pretty good books. But the most Veeky Forums lyrics go to Tom Waits. Dude knows his poetry.

they were the ones who explained to me that Flaubert didn't rhyme with Albert, and that Camus didn't rhyme with bus.

> waiting at the stop for the number 97 Boo

way too handsome to be a good arthur