Philosophize This

Favorite philosopher and why. Go.

diogenes of sinope
he shit talked to alexander the great because he was standing in his way

Charles Sanders Pierce
Cool insight into the logical nature of perception and cognition

Yea I also saw that image om Veeky Forums fellow redditor.

Plato.

Allegory of the cave is so cool and I just read it in my AP lit class!

diogenes of sinope jerked off in public because that's how he protested

XD

Einstein.
cause all science is philosophy.

Does this include psued scientists? If so I choose black science man

Henry David Thoreau
I found his book Walden rather intriguing and relatable, in regards to his ideas revloving around the effects of social isolationism upon ones self, and how living a simple life away from socitey can induce a transcendent like state of greater spiritual and personal understanding in life.

>Thoreau
>good philosophy

Epictetus. His concept of wisdom consists of knowing the difference between the things in life we can control and the things we cannot, and responding to those things according to that distinction.

Immanuel Kant. cause the nigga was ballin, and his work on ethics was pretty good too I guess.

Pyrrho, because he and I apparently came to the same conclusion about knowledge.

Nietzsche, Kierkegaard, Kant, Ludwig von Mises, Robert Nozick- because I am a sucker to individualism .

Decartes - the mind body problem is actually a really interesting problem.

>Decartes - the mind body problem is actually a really interesting problem.
how so?
in that Rene's autism fucked the philosophy of the mind into a crazy mess for centuries to come?

I was not atheist back when I learned about the problem but the existential crisis it gave me was just outstanding so I have to give it to Decartes.

Descartes is a fucking retard and anyone with just the tiniest bit of logical reasoning should see past his rhetorical mistakes

Based Diogenes. I also jerk off in public as well.

Wittgenstein, no doubt. Also looks like my grandpa lmfao

Hegel. This man Philosophy is on a whole new level.

Aristotle

Unlike Plato, Socrates, and the Pre-Socratic philosophers, he contributed a ton of philosophy, and then a LOT to science, as well as to the social sciences.

Honourable mention: Democritus

Al-Ghazali, for hating Veeky Forums before it was cool.

Stole literally the only correct answer

Now I have to choose between Camus and Sartre
And Camus wins because absurdity lmao

Quine and Sellars. Both naturalists, which allows me to quench my philosophical inclination whilst maintaining a scientific attitude towards things.

what made that anecdote even funnier is that alexander the great thought diogenes was the shit and offered him anything he wanted, just to be told to fuck off

that is an anectode and has never been confirmed outside the single source

>aristotle contributed to science
>insisted that the world was part of heavenly spheres of aether and the moon was a perfect spherical crystal
>insisted flies had 4 legs
>took literally more than 1000 years before yuros actually figured out he was wrong
>top scholars in the interim blindly believed these things because lol aristotle said it
I mean i guess his contribution was proving how stupid it is to read a book instead of examining things for yourself, or how gullible europeans are?

Some random quirks no one ever cared about about is irrelevant to things like formal logic, early empiricism, physics, biology, and zoology. He was more rigourous and "scientifically" minded than all philosophers before him, definitely world-wide. Being as "science" is a European thing and non-euro """philosophers""" were mostly concerned with validating and enforcing various parts of collectivism. They weren't anywhere near studying the natural world, let alone concerned with anything outside of their immediate power structure.

This is the correct answer.

Without Aristotle, science as we know it would not exist.

Nice try, user.