Hi Veeky Forums

hi Veeky Forums

how do i become an computer security expert/elite computer hacker? i am a senior math undergrad taking a class on cryptography and also have a lot of programming background in c++ matlab and r. what else would i need to know in order to do this? pic not related

Other urls found in this thread:

Veeky
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Go to ipconfig

learn about security? probably learn C well and apply for an internship with people doing security

- how computer hardware works
- how an os works
- how tcp/ip works
- how hacking tools work
- how popular software works
- how security measures work
- how the human stupidity works
- how the latest exploits work

Read Hacking: The Art of Exploitation as a start.

>C
>security
kek

Schneier uses C. I suppose you know more than him?

>Learn about system programming:
Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment by Stevens and Rago (The rough Windows equivalent would be Windows System Programming by Hart and/or Windows Via C/C++ by Richter and Nasarre)
>Learn about architecture:
Computer Systems: A Programmer's Perspective by Bryant & O'Hallaron
>Learn about Operating Systems:
Veeky Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Computer_Science_and_Engineering#Operating_Systems
>Learn about Networking:
Unix Network Programming, Volume 1: The Sockets Networking API by Stevens, Fenner, and Rudoff
Computer Networks: A Systems Approach by Peterson and Davie
Computer Networks by Tanenbaum
>Learn about implementing cryptography
Cryptography Engineering: Design Principles and Practical Applications by Niels Ferguson, Bruce Schneier, Tadayoshi Kohno
>Learn about how to actually work with operating systems:
Veeky Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Computer_Science_and_Engineering#OS_Development
>Then learn how exploits work and their prevention:
Veeky Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Computer_Science_and_Engineering#Reverse_Engineering_and_Malware_Analysis

And learn about data structures and algorithms before you start if your programming background doesn't contain them. You don't directly need the knowledge but you need the familiarity with analyzing how things are made.

Or small hands.

Befriend Russians

To actually be good you basically need to know everything taught in a CS Bachelor's, plus more specialization into networking stacks, OS implementations in general as well as in specific for whatever platform you want to become a security expert on.

Computer Security is basically summed up as:
>C
>Assembly
>Operating systems implementation
>Operating systems interfaces
>Application Binary Interfaces and file formats
>Networking implementation
>Cryptography

Probably missing some stuff

70 bC0m Λ 1337 |-|Λx0Я |_| n33d 70 7Λ|_k |_13k d1s

One of two languages that allow you to make actually safe code in production software.
When will brainlets learn about verification.

>you basically need to know everything taught in a CS Bachelor's

So basically nothing.

>Assembly
>Operating systems implementation
>Operating systems interfaces
>Application Binary Interfaces and file formats
>Networking implementation
>Cryptography

All things CS majors barely learn if at all.

He's burger, their CS is pretty much just CE/SE unless ivy.

That's not true

You're an idiot

The CS hate on Veeky Forums is hilarious. Kill yourselves while I bathe in money.

I don't hate on CS. I hate on burger undergrad "CS". I'm in formal verification you dumb tool.
Keep your money while i bathe in my p-index and allow you plebians to use my techniques to improve your product, or in some cases make it even possible for you to have a product.

how do i X?

DO FUCKING X ALL THE TIME YOUR MORON

getting really sick of these retard level threads on my Veeky Forums

>Thinks every single school is the same
>Thinks his stereotypes accurately represent reality

Yeah you're definitely a genius. It doesn't matter whether you're "in" formal verification, whatever that means. I'm "in" AI

I mentioned the only undergrad CS programs worth anything are on ivies. If you didn't get to one, you'd better do applied math and switch to CS for grad where the programs are adequate even on non-ivies.
I have plenty of ground to say my stereotypes represent reality, i beat your best undergrads. Me being in formal verification means i'm behind several state-of-the-art techniques, including one for verification of lock-free structures, usable in environments with explicit memory management. On another note, my endeavors in formal verification yielded several papers, some of them published in *pure math* annals.
On the matter of money, i've seen offers from lockheed that exceed your lifetime earnings. I don't give a fuck about money.

You can get the bash shell on Windows 10 or use putty so there's no need to get a Windows specific book.

Yeah no. Your warped world view is hilarious because only a few of the ivies even have noteworthy CS programs, Harvard being one of them. No idiot who is even remotely successful would waste their time trying to convince people on an anonymous imageboard that they're actually not a piece of shit, because that's what an actual piece of shit does. It's also hypocritic that you attack America's education system yet are so proud of going to an "ivy". You're literally one of the most pathetic people I have ever seen come on this board, and I have seen people fuck up basic multiplication. The difference is they're actually decent people. I'll be sure to let MIT know that some idiot on the internet thinks they're not up to par. I'm sure that will just shut them right down. Pffffft hahahaha

The post reeks of insecurity

Rekd

I think by Ivy they mean the best schools including MIT, Caltech, Stanford, etc. rather than literally the set {Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Brown, U. Penn, Dartmouth, Columbia, Cornell}.
Nitpicking the definition of Ivy is pretty pointless, just like nitpicking who / whom or whatever.

Every ivy (not actual ivies) that cares about STEM has good CS program, including Stanford, MIT, CMU, Rutgers, etc.
I've been shitposting on Veeky Forums since i started going to university and i'm not the only academically successful person that does so. Even just from IAS there are two other people shitposting here every week-"muh secrit club" wasn't true for almost a decade. Your analysis of my personality is as inaccurate as you'd imagine it to be, given you're trying to analyse a person over the internet, without knowing anything about them.
Of course education system in USA sucks, that's the reason half of IAS is Russians/ex-soviets and the other half Chines/asian. Your highschools and undergrad programs are attrocious, so much so that after 4 years on russian elite uni, you can get accepted to postgrad on ivy (not on average, but far more frequently than i'd like).
Yes i'm proud to be part of one of (if not the) best graduate program the world has to offer. I get to work with best of the best, not only from my field, but also from other fields like algebraists and hep-theorists. Being part of that is a good reason to be proud, but your grad+ being top doesn't change anything about your undergrad- being useless.

>computer security expert/elite computer hacker
>Schneier
kek

Allow? Looks like it's still infeasible given how vehemently it fights all attempts to write safe code.

Infeasible? Have you ever been in an airplane? A ship? A train? Do you have a thermostat installed? Do you use traffic lights?
Almost every system that has to be verified formally is written in C these days. In past there was SPARK platform for Ada, but that is dying very fast. Honeywell and lockheed are abandonning it and the only new projects that still use it are military.
Since there's someone who does research in formal verification, i'm sure he can confirm that C is the only language that has production-ready tools. It's literally impossible to write a safe control system in anything else but Ada/C.

Haha retard

Ivies aren't the ones with good CS program you fucking LARPing retard. CMU is the best in front of MIT from what I've seen

Lockheed Martin doesn't pay shit you moron. Maybe for a flyover state babby $100k is a lot.

I've worked with Ivy League people and they're not as great as they think they are. Retards bragging about going to Princeton. My response is, okay, well we have the same job now and I went to a state school so that sure did you a lot of good, brainlet

CS majors belong in the