Earth's Expiration Date: 100 Yrs

Stephen Hawking has set a new expiration date for the Earth, this one even lower than before.

100 years is all we have left according to Mr. Hawking....

good.is/articles/stephen-hawking-100-years-left

This is down significantly from his previous prediction of 1000 years last year
newsweek.com/stephen-hawking-humanity-needs-new-place-live-522521

Other urls found in this thread:

web.stanford.edu/group/hadlylab/_pdfs/Barnoskyetal2012.pdf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falling_on_a_grenade
youtu.be/Mc_4Z1oiXhY?t=48m40s
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_tax
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

All he has is 3 or so, so I'm not sure why he cares.

In all seriousness though its all speculation, at the current rate hes probably not wrong. However, the easiest way to look at it from an optimists point of view is to think of what we had 80 years ago in terms of technology, and then realize that it will only be exponentially better 80 years in the future.

did he create a mathematical equation for how long humanity would last or at least putted in some research though? seems to me he's just speculating outta his ass.

Isaac Newton calculated that the world would end in 2060. Pretty weird, huh?

Interesting paper connected with this:
web.stanford.edu/group/hadlylab/_pdfs/Barnoskyetal2012.pdf

You're an idiot. It's his estimation for the point when the earth will become too warm for life as we know it to exist. Learn something.
Source?

>All he has is 3 or so, so I'm not sure why he cares
Believe it or not, some of us actually care about other people, about our children, and about the survival of mankind in general.

>Doesn't even realize the second sentence points to the first as being a joke
I care about people who have the ability to critically think, so I guess that rules out you.

I member when oil was meant to be finished 2 years ago.

Keep telling yourself that. Imagine you get the choice between ending humanity(except yourself) or ending yourself. You can only pick one. Which do you pick?

Right wingers systematically sabotage Science for the sake of corporate profit and continuously refuse to see the facts before their eyes.

At least I won't be alive in 100 years to see Earth turn into another Venus thanks to human short sightedness and stupidity.

I just feel sad for all the natural beauty that will be lost forever.

How is this even a choice lol? What the fuck would you even do all alone?

>Keep telling yourself that.
uh, yeah?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falling_on_a_grenade

not venus, but +6C kills billions

youtu.be/Mc_4Z1oiXhY?t=48m40s

But why? You'd be dead, so it wouldn't matter anyway.

There are literally no "facts" that exist which suggest anything we do can effectively reverse or reduce climate change. Some right wingers do ignore *evidence*, sure, but just because X species has died, or Vanuatu has lost half an inch of shoreline doesn't suggest human intervention will be a worthwhile investment.

If you look at the economic consequences of climate change - other corporations getting hefty govt funding - it is difficult to not suspect some propaganda is at play. If someone can show me nuanced, effective environmental alternatives I am all ears.

How does this guy even communicate with the outside world anymore?

Yeah, I know right? They're almost as bad as the people who deny the facts about racial realities.

Because other people wouldn't be?

I would be so so so happy if I woke up and everyone else was gone. I would wander the earth happily with my dogs, it would be glorious, there's enough resources lying around that I'd be set forever or until I die of diasease or infection.

>until I die of diasease
wouldn't take very long desu
if you're thinking of running around towns, you have to realize most of them would be burned to ashes in 2-3 days.

Define better. It can be debated how much better technology has made our lives aside from longer life expectancy.

Whataboutism. And racial one as well, congratulations.

no, that was peak oil, it doesnt mean oil is finished. it just means we use more than we get out of the ground. but since big oil drills now in regions previously not considered because of the expenses, the problem just shifted to whats technological feasible.

>Thinks it's okay to joke about the most serious topic humanity faces
>Doesn't understand that you can't conclusively determine whether a comment is sarcastic on the internet

You're a fucking idiot. That's because the right wingers have been denying this for so long that it's now too late. If they had listened from the beginning things would be different

And there ARE things we can do now. Stop pretending good is the enemy of perfect.

>If they had listened from the beginning things would be different

Left wingers with their irrational opposition to nuclear have caused more surplus CO2 emissions than all climate change deniers combined.

It's over isn't it?
>Born too late to explore the seas
>Born too early to explore space
>Born at just the right time to watch humanity die with a whimper

>worthwhile investment.
Climate change literally represents the end of our civilization as we know it, the cost to avoid it doesnt matter.

>effective environmental alternatives
This late in the game the only hope is a total paradigm shift away from fossil fuels that includes cars, shipping, and power production combined with geo engineering. And even doing that isnt an instant fix it would still take many decades to see appreciable change.

Only in america is climate change considered a political issue, everywhere else its just scientific fact.

I love being alone, so much so that I only interact with other humans about 4 hours or less each month, total. The idea of a world with no one alive but me is like a wonderful dream. But even I, if presented with the choice of ending mankind or ending myself, would not end mankind.

If we can't invent ways to manipulate the climate of our own planet then we have no future as an interplanetary species anyway.

Do these chucklefucks seriously think we'll be able to terraform Mars, but won't be able to terraform our own planet?

time to start my own bio diesel and wood gas company
the shithole I live in has like 70% tax on gas anyways

>submitting like a cuck
nigga, we're about to go into a golden age of space colonization, with the moon and mars getting settlements within a decade

Humanity will survive and prosper, and with the gigafucktons of resources we'll have access to in space, we'll be able to construct all the solar shades and other things needed to repair the earth to ideal conditions

>Climate change literally represents the end of our civilization as we know it, the cost to avoid it doesnt matter.
Fucking how? The Earth was not like Venus back when all these fossil fuels were living organisms, why would it be like Venus now?

WTF is wrong with you?

I always have trouble swallowing those characters in horror movies that get a half dozen of their closest friends killed in order to survive, seeing them as pessimistic cardboard fictions, but I guess they really do exist.

You're shitposting on purpose

this nigger has been saying the same thing ten times with different dates

Can someone explain to me how climate change could destroy civilization? I get that there will be more tropical storms and they will be worse. I get that deserts will spread. But how does any of this make civilization impossible?

Runaway greenhouse effect, water scarcity, I think there's other stuff too

>Runaway greenhouse effect
Kinda nonsense. All this CO2 used to be in the carbon cycle before it was deposited as fossil fuels. So if we didn't have a runaway greenhouse effect then, why would we now?

>water scarcity
But higher temperatures and higher ocean levels means more evaporation, which means more rain. I don't doubt that some areas will lose access to water, but some previously-arid areas will gain water.

crops don't grow by themselves, they actually rely on a whole ecosystem around them. lose that ecosystem and we'll start starving
also temperature changes favour the spread of diseases to populations that have never encountered them

>All this CO2 used to be in the carbon cycle before it was deposited as fossil fuels.
lol, this again? It was never all in the air at one given time before
And even if it was, we can't handle eocene-like climate.

>crops don't grow by themselves, they actually rely on a whole ecosystem around them.
They grow by themselves in green houses.

>temperature changes favour the spread of diseases
The black plague didn't doom civilization. It didn't even doom civilization in Europe. Further, some diseases would be hampered by temperature changes.

OMG stfu you retards

so he doesn't give any reasons for the 100 years only saying 'because mars' and saying he will elaborate in his documentary?
looks like stephen is tight on money

I mean, this is too optimistic. How will people born in the moon and mars? Won't their bodies be too weak? Also there were no talk of any settlements that I heard of.

>a dying man predicts doom for humanity
>this is news

Oh, well. At least I won't have to see Earth turn 100% nigger

something something spinning ships and bases something

See, some actually possess the ability to think beyond their own life; that the world doesn't end when they do.

>take habitat
>spin to win
>now have artificial gravity at earth normal

>he thinks Hawking is still alive
>he thinks that thing is anything other than an animatronic puppet spouting the adversary's propaganda

he's put faith for humanity in science. now his death grows ever closer and he grows more desperate, so he clings to his faith even more. the truth is that humans will never get off of earth. we will wipe ourselves out with super-AIDS or a nuclear holocaust long before the sun turns us into cosmic feces

he is clearly juts a meat puppet controlled by the Clinton who want to push an anti-american energy industry philosophy, nobody survives that long with ALS

What we really need is CLEAN COAL RIGHT FELLOW MAGAPEDES?!?!

Which we did during the harp project and arguably still alter weather and climate

w-will the dolphins make it?

He doesn't have ALS, it's some neurodegenerative thing

Does he know how the Earth climate works?

I doubt that he is considering the dynamics of the Earth climate during the last couple million years. There is too many factors to consider in order to affirm "yes guys we are completely fucked"

- warming oceans means the water can hold less dissolved oxygen meaning big areas where fish can't live. this is already happening.
- rising sea levels mean coastal flooding meaning billions in destruction more and more frequently. note that many of the world's major cities and population centers are coastal. this has already begun.
- increasing desertification means less arable land means leas crops means widespread starvation means widespread territorial conflicts.
- increasing temperatures means more diseases of plants and humans means more starvation and death.
- increasing temperatures means equatorial areas become uninhabitable means mass migrations northward means civil unrest and economic stress. this has already begun.
- increasing temperatures means more frequent and more powerful extremes of weather means more droughts, floods, blizzards, heat waves, hurricanes, tornados, storms means more crop failures, more destruction. this has already begun.
- all of this means more more economic failures, more civil unrest, more regional conflicts, more likelihood of major world war. this has already begun.

>A 5 degree increase in water temperatures is only a ..3-1mg/L change in dissolved oxygen concentration at saturation (depending on water temp)

>less arable land
Potentially. Although it may just shift the geographic areas where arable land occurs.

Also, assuming the doom and gloom has any basis, why is any of this bad from a biological perspective?

If a billion people are wiped off the earth from climate change, is this a good thing or a bad thing for the earth?

I'm not that user but, if we ruin the environment then we cannot grow food. If we cannot grow food then we all starve. It's really that simple.

Brainlet here. What's the problem with self-terraforming to fix it? Or just a combination or lowering emissions and carbon scrubbing?

why
don't
we all
just
take a
minute t
o relax some
can we friends?

>the carbon stored over hundreds of millions of years will surely have no effect if released within 150 years

yeah and he is asking what that estimate is based on.

>hurr environment is in perpetual harmony and humans are sinful

>responding to it
stop
you
daft
cunt

there is no problem, but the current popular thing is misanthropy, so whining about humans are evil and how we should die off to save mother earth will be the only thing you hear

Ideal thing would be solar shades, but none of these hippies know a single fucking thing about them or science in general so it's a moot point

>An increased amount of atmospheric CO2 will be bad for plants

Solar shades are wrong because they will destroy the environment in a different way, all the while doing nothing for the rapidly growing presence of co2 and other pollutants in the air and oceans. This is not a solution, this is stupidity. Stop using fossil fuels and work on renewable energy/resources while reducing the world population to size that isn't self destructive.
Everything else is band-aiding the problem and will lead to extinction event disaster. The sooner you understand that and start helping the better.

>pretending the issue is just CO2
stop shitposting you disingenuous fuckwit

And that would mean nothing, cause you'd be dead. Unless you believe in an afterlife that lets you roam the universe as a spirit forever.

For all practical purposes, yes, the world ends when you do.

explain how blocking a FULLY CONTROLLABLE amount of infrared radiation is a bad thing

be specific and scientific, not this "lets piss away the civilization we spent thousands of years building up and kill of most of the human population to boot" nonsense you lot like shitting out
I bet you wont, you shitters never do

Humanity claimed dominance and supremacy over this world through our mastery of science and engineering, sitting around with dildos in our asses is sure as shit not the way to keep that dominance

>infrared radiation
google a bit on how much of it is coming from space

>"in all seriousness"
>you can't tell if it's sarcasm because internet

yes, because co2 warms up the planet, causing droughts in the subtropics (23.5...40 latitudes)
which is where all of earth's bread baskets are

a fair bit, no shit, but I'd bet dirt to diamonds that the majority comes from the sun, and for this purpose, that's all we really need
the point is that we have the ability to lessen the amount a considerable deal with the technology we have, and lessening it could be all that is needed to save our asses in the short term, so we get the time to fix things through technological might in the long term

>Less arable land
1/6th of the world is useless wasteland because it's too cold to grow crops. What happens when those climates warm up?

This will create social catastrophes never seen before in history. If you think current immigration issues are bad, wait until billions of people are forced to move away from the deserts created by shortsighted profiteers.

>They grow by themselves in green houses.
Vegetables grow in green houses.
There's too many crops to fit them in greenhouses.

For Earth probably a good thing. Not so much for the billions of people.

Nice spooks you've got there

It's pleasing to my ego to leave a good environment for my genetic legacy

>Ideal thing would be solar shades, but none of these hippies know a single fucking thing about them or science in general
Because that totally solves ocean acidification, you sure are a genius

one step at a time shitboot
currently the oceans are getting fucked by temperature, so by fixing that one, we'll have one less problem to deal with while we deal with the others

Hawking doesn't have ALS. He was going to be murdered, but it was decided he'd be more useful alive than dead.

So instead they severely paralysed him. Anything purporting to be a quote of his, it isn't. He's now a puppet.

back to /x/

Keep believing he has ALS at the age of 75.

>duurrr there is no way to stop global warming even though our actions directly cause it
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_tax

And then a gamma ray burst, like the ones we observe about once per day, aimed in just the right direction wipes out all life in our entire solar system. All thats left of humanity is scrap metal, concrete, and decaying bodies. Hey at least there was a purpose for all our accomplishments right?

fuck off, commie. you realize that is just making the right wing even more resolute in their position?

mars is actually a surprisingly easier problem that earth, that being said, I do think that we need to start thinking about our own planet from a terraforming perspective

>Instead of responding to the criticism of my poorly constructed argument, I'll just try to divert attention

humans are like cockroaches, they will never die off completely. why do people worship Stephen hawking?

>commie
Wrong answer, Cleetus. Swing and a miss.

>you realize that is just making the right wing even more resolute in their position?
So does statuatory rape by Republican senators apparently.

yea, because ridiculing poor, misinformed people is definitely going to convince them to join us. you are holding back progress just as much as deniers.

This is a lie. There are entire countries that get enough food to feed their population and more from greenhouses alone. That could be adopted on a wider scale if needed. Worst case scenario we stop feeding Africa for a few years while we adopt it. Which would actually be a good thing

Believing Dawkins has managed to survive this long
Believing Dawkins ever existed

How does he even know that? What proof does he have?