Female professor / classmate argues the morality of the characters even if it affects the narration

>female professor / classmate argues the morality of the characters even if it affects the narration
>female professor / classmates teaches in a quirky, funny, relatable tone and makes comparisons of serious literature to Harry Potter and Hamilton

>"Nick is gay for Gatsby"

WHY IS IT ALWAYS GIRLS WHO SUGGEST THIS REEEEE

Uh, what?

Imagine if it was socially acceptable to retcon every pair of hot girls into lesbians.
Basically imagine if r34 was mainstream. It's the same principle, just aimed at the female sex drive rather than the male.

My professor says a character "should've" done something different because it's morally right even if it changes the purpose of the book

Did you mean to say
>female professor
>male professor

Examples? I didn't think serious academics did this

>serious
key word

>Achilles and Patroklos are obviously gay lovers

Greeks are actually gay though

I meeeean

Not for their friends and fellow soldiers. It's usually an older man and younger boy.

>serious female academics

Ah yes, like those acclaimed Mexican intellectuals

The achaians were not classical greeks

Well either way there is nothing to suggest they are gay.

;)

Irrational, unmanly anger at the death of Achilles' comrade. Also, Plato thought they were (below), and Homer did not have other men in similar relations.

[179e] at the hands of women: whereas Achilles, son of Thetis, they honored and sent to his place in the Isles of the Blest,1 because having learnt from his mother that he would die as surely as he slew Hector,2 but if he slew him not, would return home and end his days an aged man, he bravely chose to go and rescue his lover Patroclus.

Pic related, when Hephastion died Alexander (who was always trying to imitate Achilles) flipped his shit in a similar manner.

>professor_oak.jpg

literature is effeminate and gay

>prof: "Okay, how many of you watches Game of Thrones."
>almost entire class raises hands
>"Good, good..."

I unironically had a nightmare of this once but it was with john green

It completely reduces their complex relationship into a vulgar "well they love each other cause they are gay lovers." The hypothesis has absolutely no literary merit and adds nothing to the analysis of Homer. It's the lowest of irrelevant pleb opinions.

No it doesn't, dude. It's just a fact. You've unironically gotta stop straightwashing your stories just so you can relate to the story in the special and nuanced way that makes it ~about you~.

Live in Cleveland by chance?

>taking a selfie with the cryptkeeper

poor form

Who was in the wrong here?

Homosexual relationships had much different dynamics among the Greeks than in modern day, and imposing our modern ideas about gayness onto a classical work can, in fact, obscure the true meaning.
You've unironically gotta stop imposing a modern context on your stories just so you can relate to the etc etc etc.

Dude... Dude...

Happened to me with Breaking Bad.

What's wrong with enjoying Game of Thrones?

It's popular therefore it's bad!

This.
History has to be looked at the same way. One must get enveloped into the time period in which the story takes place; looking at it from a modern point of view destroys the true meaning.

Pic unrelated.

I'm calling bullshit

I'd take one of the many innumerable quotes that have sent me into a deep thought about how such a book could be so popular and how our society has come to this point. Not very surprising something so unoriginal in everything except how vulgar it is came from the same network that gave us Girls and The Wire.

>rationality is good

>reading some shitty short story about a kid with autsim in psychology class

>female jewish teacher states that the autistic child in the story reminds her of that faggot with autism on the big bang theory

>he hasn't read Hegel

>Girls
does anyone even watch that shit unironically?

>sitting in literature course
>professor asks people to introduce themselves by saying their name and a book they want to recommend to the class
>every girl says game of thrones
>lol, well I know it's already been said but I have to say game of thrones
>well, I was going to say GoT, but ...Paper Towns by John Green
>The Awakening
>anything john green...if i have to be specific then......The Fault in our Stars
>The Divergent Series
>I know it's kind of not cool anymore but Hunger Games

I want to fucking die.

>Yeah baby, the character development is so good
Sounds like a great place to crush some easy puss, user.

Tell me you're making this up.
This didn't really happen at a university did it?

The atmosphere at uni today is like what you would imagine highschool to be.

There are so many unread motherfuckers just shitting up the fucking sidewalks. The worst part is honestly that chads and feems don't even give a shit about becoming well educated and spend there free time on only the most fucking prurient bullshit imaginable.

/rant

there -> they're

R-tard

Okay where the fuck do you guys go to school

My English and Philosophy departments are well-read. I'm about to graduate and I've never seen a professor make an analogy to pop culture.

Nice rant fag-
>/rant

Fuck.

>"Nick is gay for Gatsby"
Because it makes sense. He has some inordinate fixation on the man and in spite of very damning knowledge views him positively. And of course that one scene where he has gay sex with the painter guy.

>school
i am 24.

You object to the word 'school'

wew

Not him.

The philosophy department here is well-read because there's 6 people in total.

There's about 30-40 English majors and I haven't met many well-read ones. When I mean well-read, I mean able to speak about a subject in an interesting way. The grecophile obsession with reading a load of manure disgusts me.

Male Students: The pound of flesh is Antonio's penis.
Female Students: Antonino wants to put his penis in Bassanio.