Which car would stop first?

So my friend said he only drives manual cars because he can stop quicker by breaking and changing to 1st gear.

I said it doesn't really matter because its about the tire friction. But im not really sure.

Would a car stop quicker if you put it into first gear while braking?

it doesn't matter because of friction.

Is your friend retarded? That's a great way to ruin your transmission

How the fuck do you make a car go to 1st gear? It's not how it works.

Car A because the driver in Car B dies after his transmissions blows up below him and he won't be able to keep holding the brake pedal.

Yeah thats what I thought, im gonna tell him he's a dummy

If it means stopping quicker to save his life, then ruining the transmission is ok

Do you know what manual transmission is?

>If it means stopping quicker to save his life, then ruining the transmission is ok

Have you ever tried using a cars break when the engine is off? It doesn't work nearly as well. If your friend tried to use this technique to slow down faster, the result would be
>transmission blows
>breaks no longer work
>now have no way to slow down at all

>So my friend said he only drives manual cars because he can stop quicker by breaking and changing to 1st gear.
Your friend is a retard and a driving n00b who knows nothing about emergency situations. A driver who uses his brakes and steering skillfully will be taking a deep breath of relief while a guy that wasted time trying to downshift will be leaking brains all over his windshield.

t. someone who spent years driving over a hundred miles a day on the job, and yes, I used a stick

You NEVER, EVER declutch in an emergency braking, that's terrible idea

Also, your whole premise seems to be that "whoever blocks the wheels hardest will stop shorter". Well that's just not true. How fast you can stop depends on your tires friction, not how hard you can push the brake.
That's why we have ABS.

ABS would normally be the limiting factor in both cases. Shifting into first might override that and start your wheels skidding. Assuming nothing breaks, this could stop you sooner at the cost of no longer being able to control the car.

If you're that desperate to stop you're willing to throw yourself out of control to do it, you might as well engage the handbrake.

So would brakes + maybe 2nd gear? + handbrake be the ultimate way to stop quickly?

>the virgin driver vs the chad pilot

>uses the brake pedal
>relies on ABS to protect his life
vs.
>always brake with the handbrake
>has never seen a brake pedal in his life

no you'll just drift further, because friction coefficient when sliding < friction coefficient when the tires surface is standing on the road

i drive an auto and i can stop quicker by changing into first. it's called engine braking.

Americans sure dont know how to drive manual.
You dont fucking break with turning into the first gear.
Breaks are good enough to get the tires stop turning and the abs will kick in.

>american education

Sounds like he is trying to justify some car fetish of his.

High school tier physics let's us know that ABS is fastest, which is why it is used on breaks always now. But I guess if the kid never changes his break pads/drums, then he might need to rely in his transmission for friction instead.

Engine braking wears the opposite side of the gear that usually does all the work tho. It's not best way to slow down, but it's quite useful on hilly terrain

If your friend was driving for a long period and braking very heavily (driving at the limit on a racetrack on a hot day) he might overheat his brakes, and engine breaking would actually slow him down faster. This is an edge case though, and your friend is probably just a moron.

You mean "what is the best way to destroy a manual transmission faster? Cause that's how you do it. Car B; assuming you've put it in neutral, rode the clutch, and didn't put it into 1st gear like a moron.

A skilled driver (like a formula 1 driver, not an uber driver) can outperform ABS by threshold braking.

Slamming the brake

Is there anything more retarded than driving a manual? I know yuropoors have to because they're poor, but americans who do it are just plain stupid.

>Chad conductor
>Doesn't buy cars with a brake
>Uses only the loss of acceleration from switching to a lower gear to stop

It's really bizarre to me the lengths manualfags go to justify their insistence at this point. It's one thing to prefer manuals, its another to act like everything about them is inherently more noble and manly and ignoring what technology has been able to achieve.

What about a 4 electric motor vehicle? One motor per wheel, no transmission aside from control circuit and regenerative breaking. Will that stop faster than A or B?

>rants about Americans
>OP pic is in km/hr
Holy shit how fucking insecure do you have to be to do this?
>no education

Kmh is better to process faggot, it is just logical to use it for calculation.
Fucking autist sperg

>still using miles

This. But I still like to drive manual. I find it more fun. Granted, it sucks in a traffic jam. The problem I have with automatic is that the car doesn‘t really know what I‘m going to do next so it shifts suboptimally. It might switch to higher gears just before I‘m trying to accelerate or switch down despite the fact that I‘ll be going straight now. It just annoys me when I‘m paying attention to it. I suppose it doesn‘t really matter though and I just shouldn‘t give a fuck, what the car is doing exactly as long as it works.
Looking forward to electric cars, then I can drive ”automatic“ and forget about gears.

>It might switch to higher gears just before I‘m trying to accelerate or switch down despite the fact that I‘ll be going straight now.

Most modern autos let you semi-lock the gear in place if you want.

But... You do tho