Okay, once and for all, what the FUCK was his problem?

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/i/s0F8HVVACPNe
libgen.unblocked.cool/book/index.php?md5=E6513C684096962019F36912D706E1C7
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I think...
he might have just kept writing and then realized he made something.

Just a theory.

wait so Veeky Forums doesn't like catcher in the rye? why not

I didn't much feel for Holden. It seems like it's one of those books you have to be in a certain state of mind or at a particular time of your life to appreciate properly I guess.

neglected childhood and the death of his brother

One user pointed out how uncanny the similarity between the way Holden and Trump speak is, now it's all I've been able to think about. It's nearly perfect

He knew he'd predate a funny yellow man

I think you're supposed to read it a few times throughout your life. You're not really supposed to like Holden.

It's not really a big deal, just standard New Yorker rambling.

Well, he got raped by his teacher, no wonder why he's so fucked in the head.

i read it in high school, 13-14 years old maybe, and havent read it since. I think of it as one of my all time favourite novels, as Salinger was able to think and write how I was thinking and feeling about school and my parents and friends at that time in my life.

I read it in one afternoon when I was like 20 or something because I was given a free copy and it left no impression on me.

Aspergers.

It's a meme. Like IJ, 50% like it and the other doesn't

He was also molested

For starters, Holden's younger brother died at some point prior to the book. So his "teen angst" is rooted in something more than just Hot Topic/hate my parents shit.

His sense of helplessness and inability to protect his brother/others is probably the biggest theme of the book. It's as closely tied to the title's meaning as anything else, and the reason he feels a protective bond with his sister and many other kids he sees as innocent.

On top of that, he's already at an age where questioning authority and adults is pretty normal, and he feels betrayed or violated by role models in his life, like his older brother (becomes a sell-out), his father (a phony), his teachers (either insensitive or predatory), and so on. Instead of being helped by the people he looks up to, he clashes with them which probably leads to a greater sense of helplessness and his eventual mental breakdown.

>You're not really supposed to like Holden.

Normie interpretation. Do you guys not really feel sympathy for him?

he was bi-polar

Well, to start he's a pedophile.

I was disappointed that he didnt bang the hooker

Its too popular

>you're not supposed to like Holden

How the fuck can people think this is what Salinger expected? Holden is what your autistic pieces of shit would look like if your Veeky Forums persona existed in real life.

if you'd actually read my diary you would realize its same as mine desu

>I took Phoebe to that little skating rink in the square, and she went on ahead of me. The entire time I couldn't keep my eyes off her hot, little, perky ass, wiggling from side to side.

Okay, WHAT THE FUCK did he mean by this?

Catcher in the Rye is excellent, Veeky Forums goes through phases of loving and hating lit but unironically I think Salinger is one of the more important voices to come out from America during the time I was around. Beckett and Updike were both pretty surprised by how much they enjoyed it. Catcher is taught a lot in highschool so yeah yeah highschool memery but it's leagues beyond 1984 or whatever other drivel they try to make you read. Salinger has this trick at being a genius and showing none of it at all

TIL that the Odyssey was published in the 90s

Holden?
He was a teenager on the cusp of adulthood, afraid of being indoctrinated into a system where, as he perceived it, people were inherently unhappy and mean spirited, but at the same time he knew it was inevitable.

I'll never understand how someone can read it and not get that. I mean, it's a feeling everybody's felt to some degree or another.

Its a cautionary tale about how nihilism leads to diddling your kid sister.

by whom?

The fact that he didn't left a lifelong impression on me

vocaroo.com/i/s0F8HVVACPNe

>tfw no Loli imouto to save me from depression
>tfw no Loli imouto to dedicate my life to
>tfw no lolu imoutp to rape brutaly

Fuck you. Shitty meme ideas on top of trip faggotry is too fucking much. Go neck you stupid attention whore faggot. Trip abusers deserve cancer.

Fagles' Odyssey is the definitive English translation.

anyone got the ego and its own on a PDF?

bump

i can only find it in french.

How did those Salinger stories get leaked, anyway? I'd read they were under lock and key in some security monitored reading room at a single prestigious library.

libgen.unblocked.cool/book/index.php?md5=E6513C684096962019F36912D706E1C7

Danke mein Freund.