What's the STEM fields version of a gender studies major?

What's the STEM fields version of a gender studies major?

Computer science at a state college

Anything that ends with ology

biology

Honestly I can’t say I’m all that familiar with the coursework of gender studies. Do you just mean nonsensical and will never lead to a job do you want us to compare the course load? Assuming the former, it’s very likely something in biology. I’m hard pressed to find any “meme” degrees in STEM outside of in the biology field, and even then practically everything is useful. Maybe ecology has the lowest chance of getting any job outside of the EPA and teaching. Even then, most ecology PhD’s have jobs.

I mean a useless degree

there are none

Everything that's not medicine.

Well then any B.S. in Biology will be useless. Once taken to the graduate level though, again I can’t think of any STEM degrees that really serve no purpose.

E

What if I'm at a private one?

Evolutionary biology? To be honest I don't even know what gender studies is even about.

physics or mathematics

What degree is that

U.C. Berkeley is ranked #1 in Computer Science lol

That was supposed to be a response to

>t. engineer

Every biology student i know ended up becoming a high school teacher

^^ this
My high school bio teacher was a doctor in marine biology

Neuroscience

The name alone should be a dead giveaway. Filled with the most pretentious assholes. It's the rote memorization of biology combined with the pretense of and condescension of gender studies. Just like bio majors, they don't do any significant math. While many bio majors are marginally self-aware, neuroscience majors consider their field to be as rigorous as any physics or mathematics program, but they also fancy themselves to be authorities on philosophy, ethics, and morality. They will take on any literature, philosophy, or political science major on their respective topics; if they get bested in a debate they will always have the last word, saying something cringeworthy like "agree to disagree" or "we seem to be at an ideological impass." None of them has any interest in a scientific career but they will tell any scientist what they are doing wrong. They all aspire to be Ray Kurzweil only they think they can start immediately after they get their degree, like there's a market for condescending 25 year olds sitting cross-legged in oversized armchairs telling adults what the future will be like and how everybody should act.

evolutionary biology

let me educate you, pic related

Should have also included evolutionary biology. Tied with Neuroscience for the same reasons. Put a neuroscience major and an evolutionary biology major in the same room and they will both be dead in 5 minutes due to lack of oxygen.

Jokes on you, state colleges in Brazil are by far better than private ones.

Jokes on you - the best schools in Brazil are worse than the shittiest ones in the English-speaking world ;)

The engineering version would be environmental engineering followed by civil

If you go in biology, learn programming, and focus on stuff on molecular level then you're set. Don't let Veeky Forums meme you out of the biggest changes in this century.

Pure math

Math

Statistics

>Molecular stuff
>Brain_thinking_in_box.jpeg
Macro stuff is way cooler and much more exciting.the work,the field, it's all great. And yes. Learn programming, but focus on ecology, ethology, and evolution, don't skip logic and ontology

>inb4 snhu online

If you include them in stem, any IT or Operations degree. There are 15 year olds with better understandings of operating systems and troubleshooting then the "IT guys" at my work.

If your talking about the classic sciences/engineering. Biology, seeing how it has the highest unemployment ratio.

We can include psychology if were feelin cheeky

and yet they have a job and here you are, shitposting, funny how it works

Suicide

Math

Not same guy but to be fair, I'd rather shitpost, starve or kill myself than be a high school teacher...

Do the IT guys at your work actually have IT degrees?

Life sciences.

Anything other than engineering is worthless at an undergrad level. For grad school, every field has its place.

Who cares if they do or don't? They will fucking take ages to do anything anyways. Google is better at their job.

At least everyone else can write a coherent sentence

>bitches about another user's sentence when there is nothing wrong with it.
>forgets to add the period to the end of his sentence.

Any chemistry other than pharmaceuticals

Well if they don't then why did you bother bringing them up? We're talking about degrees.

How much shit does a neurosurgeon know about the brain and how do they decide how likely a given operation is to be 'safe' or effective?

Jokes on you Brazilian just jitsu schools have raised some of the best fighters to ever live

>how do they decide how likely a given operation is to be 'safe' or effective?

You're describing a neurosurgeon, not a neuroscientist. Neuroscientists don't know shit about operations.

>not majoring in physics AND engineering

anything with category theory in it.

>You're describing a neurosurgeon

Yeah, I am. I want to know this specifically because neuroscience seems to have such a vague understanding of how the brain works that I have no idea how surgeons and medical researchers came up with the shit they did or why they believe they understand why what they do works.

There's a reason why brain surgeon became a meme smartest career ever in the eyes of normies.

Pretty much

lol

If they don’t go to pharma or med this

My school offers a BA in "Science and Technology". From what I have gathered/seen the major would be better called the "Talking out your ass about Science and Technology" Major. The closest the cores classes get to science and technology are History of technology class that's a GE elective for everyone else. A possible core elective is a bullshit CS course on the way computers have impacted Society (Which is required for CS majors and an elective for everyone else. TL;DR for the course, Social Media is a thing, Cybercrime is a thing, Look we did hello world in python you're coders now") Other classes that may be selected for the major include such rigorous STEM classes as "The technology of Music, "Islam and Technology", "Gender Identity and Technology" and "Plants and civilization"

2bh, I'd take plants and civ

For the most part, it's trial and error. For more sensitive areas, it involves opening someone's skull while they're awake and prodding their brain with a tiny electrode while you get them to perform menial tasks. Otherwise, you just learn major landmarks. It's impressive because of the precision required - often

this. The only reason people major in neuroscience is because they want people to be impressed when asked what their major is.

race science

Everything but maths

What the fuck does a math major even do?

Apply math.

The more women the worse your field is.

So my comp sci major will make your math major extinct

say that to my face and not online and see what happens

i enjoy working with women, especially smart women.

>"Islam and Technology", "Gender Identity and Technology"

no way. You're lying.

"women are great" effect

Forgot the post
I remembered the Islam one incorrectly(it's a slightly more credible class, but still not one that should be a core elective) but the Gender one is all too real

I fucking hate this world.

Jesus Christ. I'm sorry you have to breathe the same air as these "scientists."

Same, but I'm not gonna pretend like it's for any reason other than because I"m straight and don't get to talk to them much.

"omg stacy, you're so smart, tell us more about science"

"well you see, like, modern technology tells us that there is an infinite amount of gender, like, it just literally never ends"

and you can't arg with her cause she's a scientist

I think Gender Studies should be part of STEM because it's just as important than other STEM subjects and it's very logical like mathematic

>(you)
Islamic science makes perfect sense as a class in the context of world history. Its not like kids are being taught how to practice islamic science
Gender idenity and techknowlgy sounds pretty memey, it is a hot topic in culture. Its not like they are being taught how to make trans sexbots or something. Still a perfectly valid although uninteresting topic for social and cultural studies. Its not like the class is called "LBGTQ signal processing"
stop huffing memes and waste your time being upset over something important, like american investment firms selling Brazil to china, or the ongoing mass extinction levels of biodiversity loss and genocide of the worlds indigenous populations perpetuated by the global finance sector, backed by state power, dont forget that the US owns 70% of the world bank and has a long history of supporting the violence and funding terrorism on behalf of american business and military interests.
is that way brainlets, if you spent half the time you do whining about unimportant bullshit caring about something that actually matters the world would be a better place

It's hard to take you seriously when you use grammar worse than most niggers.

why isnt there 'ancient Greek science in world history'?

That's the funniest shit I've heard in a long time.

its called classics you idiot

environmental engineering

glad nobody here bullys psychology-chan.

I don't know what you're talking about user, computer science doesn't seem to have that much women in it and it's still a meme degree

It's only a meme if you're one of the thousands of kids studying it to design video games.

>in a thread about STEM subjects
>surprised when psychology isnt discussed

>implying it even needs to be stated that psychology is a joke degree

How much rick and morty do i have to watch to take that?

>tfw smelly nerds drove all the women from CS and into your field
Truly, physics is blessed

>Islamic Science in World History
Have you seen an astrolabe? Those guys were leagues ahead of Europe for a long-ass time. They revolutionized optics and astronomy. Copernicus (dummy as he was) copied a bunch of shit from Al-Tusi. Also made a bunch of contributions to Algebra, like it's name.

Don't talk shit about my boy, Tusi

Bless STEM in the current year

95% of Physics PhDs in America are employed (or in post-doc) the year after graduation.

>le dark ages meme
next thing you'll be telling me is that medieval scholars thought that the earth was flat

And 5% jump from roofs

I don't understand how what you typed is relevant to my post. Anyone with a superficial understanding of history would know that
A: no one uses the term "dark ages" anymore because it means nothing.
B: the advancements made by Islamic scholars were nontrivial.

If you're making less than six figures and take into account debt or gross costs of getting such a degree, especially in Canada, you're more set being a rural medical lab technologist on call in rural area after two years of training.

Nuclear engineering I am guessing.

Is this why Veeky Forums calls engineers gay? Because it's the most masculine major with the fewest roasties?

Biology.

By who? Who do you trust, user? U.C. Berkley is crawling with sjw's

Maybe in the liberal arts department.