How THICC does a metal drum have to be not to explode?

If I wanted to commit suicide by trapping myself in a large metal drum filled nearly to the brim with gasoline how thick would the sides of the drum have to be for when I lit a match so it wouldn't explode but would instead contain the fire within?

Also what is the mathematic formula for making something thick enough so it won't explode out even with gasoline on fire inside it?

The fire will burn out without oxygen. Nice job idiot.

Doesn't matter I want to know how thick it has to be to prevent an explosion hence why I said not totally full.

0 because it wont get fucking lit. "Not completely full" means any barrel will do because even 1/5 filled with fuel the oil will burn out in seconds.

You don't have to fill it to the brim OP. Half way ought to do just fine. It is the fumes that ignite and explode. Not the gas itself.

When the fire burns out, the fumes will kill him

You could wire a spark plug into the gas tank of a car, and if the plug is submerged in liquid it wouldn't ignite anything. Gasoline isn't gunpowder, it doesn't release more oxygen as it burns. If the plug was above the liquid in the tank, it would probably need to be about 1/4" thick steel to not rupture, depending on shape.

How won't it get lit? What do you think fills the empty part of the barrel?

If it's full but granted probably wont be (he did clarify that as well but it wont stay lit for very long).
This seems endemic to the chins, nobody seems to have basic reading comprehension.
Tell me user, is the thread about whether or not it will kill him, or is it about whether or not oil burning for 10-15 seconds could possibly generate enough pressure to blow open an oil drum that isn't made out of papier mashe?

He clearly states in the OP that it's gasoline burning, not oil. You're bad at reading AND spelling. Those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw chunks of the walls around.

"oil" if often use colloquially for gasoline, like "gas". Even then the only part of my statement it changes is that very word, the rest remains valid.

Gasoline fumes will displace the air in the gas tank. No oxygen, no explosion.

I have to congratulate you on finding one of the most convoluted ways to drown yourself.

What if I got inside whilst it was filling from a rig with a valve that doesn't allow air to get up the tube but only fills the drum 3/4 the way then seals the drum.

Then there is still air inside I would presume, then I flick my lighter or light my match, how thick does it have to be not to explode?

Apparently Veeky Forums is a bunch of morons. This is an easy mechanics of materials problem, look up longitudinal and hoop stress within pressure vessel problems to solve this.

And how the fuck does your retarded rig work Einstein? Nothing is flowing in unless you give that oil a fair bit of back pressure. You're going to have a fucking electric pump pumping gasoline into it just because you don't want to hang yourself?

Could he dissolve some common fertilizer in the gasoline to act as oxidizer? It probably won't burn or explode but who knows.

Just like how racing car refuelling rigs work.

>Apparently Veeky Forums is a bunch of morons.
Or maybe OP's isn't going to make his own fucking drum, and any commercially available ones will already have pressure ratings at a given temperature, and as stated the pressure couldn't possibly go high enough to burst open any such drums unless it's paper thin.

How long do you think you can submerse yourself in gasoline for?

Hours if I use a scuba mask and oxygen tank.

>oxygen tank
And you're worried about having oxygen

Yes to see how thick it must be not to explode.

Committing suicide was just a fun idea, I could've more simply perhaps just asked how thick would a steel container have to be to contain a 40KT nuclear detonation.

This thread is bananas, I love it

Your lighter or match won't work if it's wet, dumbass

It won't get wet the drum isn't filled right up so I can hold it right near the top and all I need is a spark.

So you're gonna seal the drum one handed while holding the lighter in a tiny dry space at the top?

Yeah

Solid mechanics. Hoop stress.

For this experiment yes or I can keep it in a little plastic bag.

More information needed to calculate for this case specifically, but if you want more info on this topic in general just google 'pressure vessel'.