Currently reading thread

What is Veeky Forums currently reading?

they just beheaded the right whale and described it in it's entirety

I'm reading this book. Okay, have a nice day!

:)

honestly, I tried to pay the closest attention to the anatomical sections but I don't fight my eye glazing over anymore

The Loser by Bernhard. Before that Waiting for the Barbarians by Coetzee.

Lagerkvist, the Sybil.

is it good so far? it's on my list

it's very good

not that guy but it's murakami's best work imo. kafka is great too though.

about half way through

pretty good

Comparing it to the TV series, it is a nice read.

you might as well commit intellectual suicide

>outdated references to the body of a whale
>be me, likes animals, enough to learn about them, enough to know what the fuck a whale looks like
>I don't need mr moby to tell me how many fins he has
>be you
>think the build up of the book is to be found deciphering the summit of a sperm whales head

I just finished Othello and will start Titus Andronicus later this week.

Currently reading a bunch of essays on the poetic structure of the Book of Job.

i google everything he mentions because i don't want to "miss" anything (except the astronomers and scientists because there are a fucking lot), now i'm an expert in stellar parallax and south african cuisine

On Friendship - Nehamas
Cane - Toomer
Wallace poems
Works of Euripides

I need to graduate. Juggling texts like this is fun for a bit, but I'm getting a little burnt out. I need a while to just relax with one book.

franny and zooey by salinger

reads like a wes andersson movie

im a little past halfway. pretty interesting book, if not a little slow at points (the scene where walter drones on about birds). havent read the correctoins tho so idk how it stacks up

Unironically starting this today.

d/a, but I really liked it. I love these slice-of-life descriptions and I also feel it packs more emotion than some of Murakami's other works; but still in his own, detached way.

It also hit pretty close to home.

kys yourself

I will after I finish it.

I am reading Norman Davies "Forgotten Kingdoms" a history book. Some chapters were more interesting as others, I skim readed most first chapters.
The part about Belarus and Kalingrad were highly interesting.

The Pillow Book - Sei Shonagon

he was telling to 'kiss yourself' user! be dandy

This chart is wrong. For example, NRSV is an objectively more accurate translation than the KJV.

Interesting philosophy, LaVey just needs too cool it on the exclamation points and stop being so damn smug about everything.

Histories - Herodotus
Orlando Furioso
Statesman -Plato
With that order of priority

It's beautiful but I hate poetry and it's already a drag for me after 40 pages

thats the way it should be done

case for christ-lee strobel
end of faith-sam harris

I'm currently reading "The Sorrows of Young Werther" and I'm planning to start this next, pretty excited about it too.

I don't fucking know. I fished my last book yesterday and now I'm stumped. I have 700+ books of all kinds, any kind. From classic literature to trash- anything. I can't think of anything. This is hell, truly.

What's that text on the bottom? Welsh?

Neil Gaiman's Norse Mythology. Pretty disappointing, really. I was expecting an extra layer, but it seems a very bland retelling so far.

It's pretty good.

Nearly done with this.

Really PoMo but Lethem is goddamn good

haven't read Werther as I detested his personality and considered him a pussy but that was in early high school when I was really into Kneechee. Bad times, will read it in the future for sure.
are fucking serious?

>Chase Insteadman, a handsome, inoffensive fixture on Manhattan's social scene, lives off residuals earned as a child star on a beloved sitcom called Martyr & Pesty. Chase owes his current social cachet to an ongoing tragedy much covered in the tabloids: His teenage sweetheart and fiancée, Janice Trumbull, is trapped by a layer of low-orbit mines on the International Space Station, from which she sends him rapturous and heartbreaking love letters. Like Janice, Chase is adrift, she in Earth's stratosphere, he in a vague routine punctuated by Upper East Side dinner parties.

Ya, this sounds -

I will never understand why this book is so popular.

I read pic related, 700 pages in. The chapters with Iwan talking to his brother about God (like the grand inquisitor) were one of the best things I have read over the last months.

It's totally without any magical realism, so it's a little bit different from his other stuff but not by much. I'd recommend it though, I enjoyed it.

Hard boiled wonderland and wind up bird chronicle were really good as well, if you haven't read those

>are fucking serious?
it's sure as shit not german

how is it? 10/10 title BTW

pretty damn good

I'm not telling you, you'll never know whether it's welsh or something else

The Magic Mountain by Thomas Mann

It's really enjoyable, the prose is endlessly detailed and requires patience, but it's interspersed with really intense dialogues and short, almost essay-like passages about all kinds of topics. Generally it's also more accessible than I would have thought. Would recommend

It's a book publisher in Poland.
I'm not sure why that guy is being such human garbage.

Looks Polish to me famalama

its polish
you can tell by how fucked it is

i'm about 300 pgs into the recognitions

in english or in

german

can't read german. wary of reading it in english.

Vol II of the Gulag Archipelago. Really fucking glad I never lived through any of that.

you're a monster

thanks dudes

I've never read the english translation or any englihs translation of any of Mann's works, so I can't help you, intuitively I think it should be fine, as I said, the prose is very detailed so the danger of something getting lost along the way isn't as great as it maybe could be.

I wanted something easy to read and this seemed like the lowest of the low trash lit which turns out to be true. It's also pretty brutal. Makes you wonder how many 74 year old grandmas have read this.

I don't read books. I just read wikipedia articles of books and everybody thinks I read a lot. :)

he could've googled it, not like it's in Cyrillic or arab, wykopku

Cause I'm a newfag that's gotta start somewhere.

I'm having trouble finding anything by Jack Vance that I don't enjoy immensely.

I just finished A Farewell to Arms. It sucked. Hemingway was a hack.

Better than I thought it would be

I finally started A Song of Ice and Fire
It's every bit as good as people made it out to be, but then again I'm only about 100 pages in to A Game of Thrones.

I kind of just want a spinoff series where Jon, Arya, Ghost, and Nymeria go off on an adventure and have happy lives without all the bad stuff :(

Just finished that bit, about to start chapter 78. Also reading this and would recommend

The immoralist.
Am I in for a treat?

luvly book cover.
But

>my Phiz when mechanickal Ducks

AMA

My sister unironically loves this book and suggested I read it.

What do?

Just finished If on a winter's night a traveler, think I'm gonna re-read Family Ties by Lispector (NOT the Dodson translation, good christ that woman can't write)

120 Days of Sodom by Sade

Very enriching.
I've read half, dropped it (2 times). Determined to pick it up where i left off and actually finish it
wasn't Mann a pedophile or something? How can you feel good about his words?

How do you like Franzen? I've considered picking up one of his books. He's supposed to be good for contemporary lit

>wasn't Mann a pedophile or something? How can you feel good about his words?

I think you're on the wrong board, friendo

That's kinda the point, tho

Has five of Cicero's defence speeches. Really good stuff, recommended for anyone interested in Rome

The series as a whole is much more literary and just generally good than I expected of a fairly mainstream grimdark fantasy trilogy. I'm really liking it

well I know a little about Mann, and I'm intrigued and thought about reading Buddenbrooks. But how do you get past his thoughts on little boys? Or is that irrelevant?

Also reading some pic related on the side

>But how do you get past his thoughts on little boys?
I don't care about his opinions or personal life if he writes a good book.

That's like not reading hamsun because he gave his Nobel prize to goebbels. It has nothing to do with art.

To me, the author's life isn't very relevant to what I think of their works. You can kind of see what you're talking about in Death in Venice I guess, but still, just separate the two, he's worth reading

Holy shit did Hamsun really do that? That's funny as hell

but is it really? do you think that's what pinecone wants from us?

>Holy shit did Hamsun really do that?
Yes. And a lot of people don't read him because of it.

Is the New Criticism a complete joke or what? I feel like it might have helped lead to the "outrage culture" fad being prevalent today

Read it you pansy POS.

Newfag or not it is a fantastic book. Gonna reread it myself soon enough.

Read it. It's unironically good.

~100 pages in. Promising so far. Was easier to get into than I thought.

but:
> 10th edition
> typo on the first page

The Apology of Socrates by Plato
Just finished, actually
Great read. Very intriguing.
I recommend the Benjamin Jowett translation.

give me your sister's number so i can give her some private lessons about the importance of this book

Pic related. Very good, very dense. I try to read a passage a day, but given my strange work scheduled it's tough to do sometimes. Worth reading though.

Best Short Stories by Maupassant

In Search of Lost Time. It's a painfully boring read, I'll probably stop soon.

Just finished Member of the Wedding (McCullers) I'm on The Tain now

Why aren't you reading the fucking Frame translation

Don't have it and I have this one. I'll probably pick up other translations later.

Screech is the best translation tho

No.

Yes.