Roman Literature

What can Veeky Forums tell me about Romen literature? Where to start and who to start with? What are considered essentials?

Start with the Greeks

>Virgil >Aeneid
>Ovid >Metamorphoses
>Catullus >poems
>don't bother with Cicero and Plautus
>don't bother without having started with the Greeks
>don't bother without having studied the history of Rome

Same question then for Greek literature

Pre-socratics to Plato to Aristotle

Wergilius

No, no, no.

>Homer and Hesiod
>Aeschylus, Sophocles, Euripides and Aristophanes
>Herodotus and Thucydides
>Presocratics and sophists
>Plato
>Aristotle

Only Euclid and Hippocrates if you're incredibly serious.

Most of the roman historians are fairly interesting, especially those of the early imperial period, Tacitus in particular

plutarch roman lives

Add Galen too that bunch too.

Read Plotinus and the Greek Church Fathers if you want to achieve godliness.

How are you going to say don't bother with Cicero and not even mention Seneca and Aristophanes?

Because Aristophanes is Greek and fuck Seneca

Plutarch and Livy, Virgil

>don't bother with Cicero
pic related says fuck you

>roman """"""""""""literature""""""""""""

>fuck Seneca
Triggered

>he doesn't know about based roman literature

your timeline is fucked

Off yourselves. Now.

To all the fags recommending Virgil. What is the point of reading Latin or any other poetry that's been translated into English? All of the subtleties like rhyme, meter, wordplay etc will undoubtedly be lost no?

Have you read any of the Greeks?

breaking it out at dinner parties when some bitch starts using french snobbishly.

what do you think happens when works are translated? do you think the translator just pastes everything into an online translator and calls it a day?

You first, faggot. The only philosopher that is actually important is stirner

Ive read most of them yea. Homer, Hesiod, Plutarch, Thucydides, Herodotus, Plato, Xenophon, Pindar, and most the Greek tragedians. I'm talking specifically about poetry though. I'mean talking specifically about poets though. Homer was good, but still I can't help but guess that we'really missing like 90% of what's actually there because it's being translated into englush thousands of years later.

Doesn't matter how good the translation is. You're reading something totally different than the original. You think Shakespeare translated into Chinese is going to be anywhere near as good?

Livy and Tacitus are a good start for Roman history desu

You've four options.

Doing nothing and like a bum.
Reading translation, and taking something out it.
Learning Latin and then reading it.
Reading translation alongside original in Latin despite not knowing Latin.

Last one isn't all that bad. And you get to lern a phrase or two. Those editions are not common in poetry translation, but most major work has them. My only advice reading Virgil that way would be to turn to original only for major lines. Despite all, he does have a fair amount of fluff and filler in his work.

>Learning Latin and then reading it.
This is the only way. I hate being an uneducated pleb that can only read translations

For what it's worth I've taken seven years of Latin and read the Aeneid in both English and Latin. Honestly the English is fine for some of the more plot focused bits, but only if you accept you're not going to really experience the work. Latin of course had all the crazy Virgilian wordplay which really goes beyond anything I've seen in another language.

In my experience, it was helpful to know how to read in French. A lot of the root words come from Latin, so it made reading epic poems easier (translated to English ofc)

>tfw decent understanding of latin but still too dumb to really appreciate the subtleties of virgil

Describe some neat Virgilian wordplay user

read caesar

That's because it's not ordered chronologically.

>he doesn't mention Lucretius >De Rerum Natura

Most classics majors can't even be bothered to read Lucretius. He's so damn boring.

MA in classical studies here. Still learning Latin atm.

Patrician tip : Start with Cicero.

>he wrote a whole chapter about how women squeeze cum out of their pussies and how men have to fuck them in doggystyle in order to not get them pregnant
>boring
More like "I didn't read it because I'm a plebeian"

He's LITERALLY compulsory reading

>Lucretius
>Boring
found the pleb