How do you dispose of books?

How do you dispose of books?

Is it fine enough to recycle them? Or simply throw them out?

Books should be returned to the earth via burning

>Go to used book store
>Acquire store credit
>Buy more books

I DON'T

certainly, especially if the book shouldn't exist

If I like a book it stays on my shelf. If it's just eh but I need it for reference, it goes in storage. If it's just eh or I don't like it, I trade it in for store credit at the used book store. Don't destroy books. Please.

Why shouldn't some books be destroyed? With the ease and cheapness of publishing in the modern era we're simply drowning in titles, that all run the gamut of quality (with a large amount leaning towards the "I wish I'd not bothered" category).

Sell them or give them away.

You could also donate them, you don't need to throw everything into the trash.

Why not? Because you can get store credit at used book stores for them and can use that credit to get books that are actually decent. That's the main reason.

this is the only right answer

I've honestly wanted to hand in some YA books from 8 years ago to my LBS but I honestly feel too goddamn embarrassed about reading them in the first place to bring them into the light of day
Childhood was a mistake

tfw I have some magic treehouse books in between Victor Hugo and Socrates on my grossly unorganized shelf

I have still have ~sixty "Hardy Boys" books back from when I was a wee lad.

Thankfully it's not nearly as embarrassing as possessing something like Artemis Fowl, and that series about dragons or whatever that was turned into a box office bomb.

>mfw i have 3 of those books about the dragon in too poor condition to sell but hardcover so they cant be recycled either

>not tearing the page you just read from the book and consuming it

Why is neolit so shit?

if they're not worth rereading, throw them in the trash

You can often just leave them somewhere pubic, like at a diner or on a bench. Waiting rooms are also a good place to unload books.

You like a book so you display it like a trophy? Pretty sad. Not to mention arbitrary

Just throw them out, who's gonna stop you?

1) I put 'em in bookboxes outside, we got a few in my town. No bookbox ? Just leave them on a bench or anything. Close to a garbage can if you guess they're both of not value and of no interest.
2) If they're beautiful or famous but you know you won't read 'em anymore : drill a hole in them, get some electric cable, add a lightbulb, you got a nice Veeky Forums lamp.
3) A friend of mine used 2 similar books to rip off every single page and stick 'em in a long corridor. Five rows, a few dozen columns, you can now read the whole book while walking down the corridor. Not that anyone would actually do it, but the result is pretty nice.

t. Pretentious wanker

I leave mine at book swaps, lend them to friends without expecting them to return them or give them to thrift stores.

I light up my sauna with the pages. Usually one page is enough for one time.

>23 replies
>No "I donate them to the charity shop/used book store"
Why not, Veeky Forums?
Then someone gets to really enjoy the book you loved.

I eat them.

Donate them you fucking rat bastard.

I got a missprint book from bookdepo and they sent me a new one, no idea what to do with the bad one tbdesu

I donate them either to charity or the local used bookstores. I don't throw away books.

>crack and extract seeds
>find a spot in back garden that recieves adequate sunlight
>plant
>fertilize and water regularly

>dispose of books?

I got a book that was horrible misprinted only once before, the first seven chapters repeated, but upside down, and in reverse order

I sell those that have value, those that don't I donate to my local library.

Oh yeah? I bought a book from bookdepo that never came, so I emailed them and they sent me a new one that never came

>he doesn't reread

If I really had to, I'd drop them off in a charity shop. I live in a village, where we don't have one, and don't drive, so that isn't convenient for me right now even though I do have some duplicates. I went through a phase of bulk buying on eBay. Sometimes it's a bargain, but I've grown less fond of it. I tend to have a rough idea of what I want to read.

The issue I have is working out which is a decent realease and, more importantly, an adult release. God only knows why there are illustrated children's versions of Frankenstein, but there are. I aim to spend the bare minimum, but it's often hard to know what I'm actually buying. Sometimes Amazon sellers are wrong, sometimes they lie, and the reviews on any given page are for the story, but not the release. Even though Frankenstein has several hundred releases, it has all it's reviews compiler onto every page so I am yet to read it.

I've never been so lucky as to find a used book store, mind I've never particularly tried.

Sell them to used bookstores for store credit. Donate them to public libraries.

shouldn't they abound?

there's always one or two thereabouts a town, loads more near or within a city

I work for a major charity shop in australia, when we get donated books in the warehouse from any of the towns in the region they pile up in a corner and once a week get sent to the recycling center. Sometimes someone will dig out books to sell but its mostly harry potter and other famous shit. Ive rescued a number of classics, sometimes in bulk when an old Veeky Forums bastard dies, but so many priceless first or just beautiful editions of books just get destroyed.

it's inevitable isn't it, there are just too many damn books in the world today, this isn't the middle ages

If you're so insecure about what you read that you need to get rid of the books you don't like, I feel kind of bad for you.

in his defense why should anyone keep something they have no use for?

Use it as toilet paper to save money
Practice origami with it
Donate
Tear up important pages than throw the rest

There's a sign for one on the high strreet where we have two convenience stores, a few takeouts, pharmacy and library. There's also a sign for a vet and butcher, however I've never seen any of those open.

I got a misprint, but it was only the first chapter. Sent a friendly letter to the publisher, but I got another (wrong!) first chapter from a different book instead. Even going to their offices and offering to help out didn't work. :(

I usually trade them for credit on used book stores or just donate them to a library and/or used book store. Knowledge is to be shared, and not thrown away like regular garbage.

I donate them to my local library unless I'm about to make a trip to the bookstore, then I trade them in.

When I'm done I just leave them on the bus, train, park bench, or where ever I happen to be when finishing it.

It was an experience reading the book, but you need to let go.

eat them

If I need to get rid of a book I either bring it to a used book store and trade it in for credit, sell it somewhere, gift it, or donate it to my local library.
I rarely get rid of my books though. I like re-reading and keeping old books for reference. The one time I got rid of bunch of books was when I brought a ton of my childhood books to my local library, which was always wanting for new books, and donated them. I still regret it a little.
Books should not be thrown away, burned, or generally discarded/destroyed. They should be reused as much as possible. Resold, donated, gifted, etc.
That's what I think.

>Thankfully it's not nearly as embarrassing as possessing something like Artemis Fowl
Y-yeah... heh... w-what kind of f-faggot would own th-that?

Do you store games and movies on your shelves as trophies? Sad

my library no longer accepts donations

I know this feeling. I want to dispose of pretty much every book Veeky Forums memed me into reading.

The lovely nan down at my nearest store has told me she doesn't see but maybe 1-2 people in a day stop by.

I shoot at them with my Mauser and Mossberg.

There's always Goodwill or some other charity.