Has Veeky Forums had any... "experiences"?

I don't mean to go all /x/ here, just asking for moments when you felt uncomfortable or eerie, for no good reason. Like most here I'm not the most... "spiritual" of folks, but there have been instances where... dunno. I've rationalized it, but still...

So, Veeky Forums, do you have any such tales, and how did you rationalize them?

I felt uncomfortable and eerie for the entire eight years that I was married.

Scientists will rarely admit it but the tools we use to understand our reality don't give us a complete view. Fact is we can only really identify quantitative aspects of reality, which has worked well but we KNOW that there are unmeasurable qualitative aspects of reality out there as well that we basically just ignore. How do we know this? Because you've experiencing it right now. Subjective conciousness is a quantitative aspect of our reality, you can't quantify how it feels to have the sun shining on your skin, or to see the colour blue, or to smell a rose. These are all aspects of every day life we take for granted and yet science basically shoves them off to the side and ignores that things like that even exist.

So what we have is an abstracted view of reality through the lens of pure quantitative research. We know that electrons exist, we know electrons have a negative charge, we know the quantity of that charge. What actually ARE electrons though? That question isn't even really considered at all because it's simply not something we can answer with our toolset. Bertrand Russel was one of the few who acknowledged this.

>What actually ARE electrons though?
I once read a thread where the OP had asked this, and got chewed out for it.
I do psychedelics. My "experiences" probably aren't all that reliable in an academic sense.

Pretty interesting analysis user.

Eh, I'd like to hear them anyway.

Generally though,I'm speaking of otherwise normal moments where you just felt... something. Something unexplainable that's happened to you, something. I have a few, but I want to get the thread going first.

I've had plenty of weird spoopy things happen to me that I can't immediately explain over the course of my life. I only attrubute it to mystical supernatural forces on even days of the week though.

I've had a momentary sensation of enlightenment which in hindsight was heat stroke.

Don't you remember anything? Maybe just a general description?

Sure plenty of instances. I used to live in a house in south carolina that always gave me really bad vibes. The walk out basement was like the playroom for me and my sister, and I never once went up those stars without feeling a malevolent presence right behind me that would make me sprint up those stairs.
I had a lot of really weird nighmares in that house too.
Also certain shapes and patterns have been known to kind of derail my internal train of thought in this very weird way thats always weirded me out a bit. The easiest to explain is when you look at the legsof school chairs when they're stacked together (specifically the ones where the legs are two triangles of metal).

Sounds pretty creepy, but maybe it was just the fact that you were a little kid and the place was just scary to you? I'm not one to speak though, since I've had issues with sounds going on and off before. You rationalize it at the time, but the more you think about it...

As for the patterns, that's pretty weird.

I was driving once and I saw a white person, who was glowing bright and a dark person kneeling in front of him.
Like, hidden inside a forest, close to the road.

No idea what it was.

Some weird sex thing? But why go to the forest?The glowing bit depends. Was it night or day? Definitely spoopy.

I once had a really strong sense of Deja Vu. It was like I knew the layout of the building.

The easiest way of rationalising it was to keep in mind that most buildings have the same internal logic to the layout (stairs near the exit etc.)

Still, it was eerie.

>Deja Vu
I get that shit constantly. I know the reason behind it, but there are certain moments where I just feel as if I'm stuck on a replay.

Strangest thing I have is my mother going into surgery, and seeing a woman get inside the room. She saw he rin a dream again, and she told her her name was Barbara. Turns out she looked exactly like Saint Barbara,whom my mother had never heard of. Pretty spoopy.

>I know the reason behind it
My favorite explanation for it has always been that your brain, usually when overtired, fucks up the *time code* on a recent memory, and even though it's happening "now" it has the sense of happening "before" because of a the equivalent of a filing error in your sensory process.
One time, on a shit load of Salvia, I felt as if I had "fallen" out of the universe, and I remember falling past a window, looking in, and seeing myself standing at a kitchen table with a couple of people I knew, and as I looked into the window, falling past, the other me looked out the window and there was a really mind blowing shock of "Holy shit! I just saw myself!" Every detail was burned in my brain, but it's salvia, so I didn't think about it until years later, on a shitload of acid, at my buddy's house, standing around the kitchen table, I looked out the window and saw myself from the salvia trip "fall" past the window, and I was on the other side of that weird transcendental shared moment.
I was on, as I said, a bunch of drugs, but it's still one of the most mind fucky things that have ever happened to me, like something out of a fucking PKD book.

lots of batshit crazy sleep paralysis hallucinations. it's not uncommon and has some reasonable explanations to it all but that doesn't make it feel any less demonic/creepy. My main curiosity is why the brain "chooses" to see/hear what it does.

That... sounds pretty fucked up.

Yeah, that is a pretty weird phenomenon.

11/9/16 was pretty bad

>11/9/16
What happened th- Oh. Poor b8 m8.

That was just a cia nigger, you should've run over it.

if true, that's pretty awesome user!

Wew... I've seen an UFO when I was a kid, pretty spoopy. Nothing else though...

I assume UFOs are just secret technology, still spooky tho

I saw something that i can only describe as a literal UFO. It jumped out of the way of an oncoming airliner and moved in a way that i'm pretty sure is not possible for any man-made aircraft, manned or not. Can post more details of anyone's interested.

Post more of your UFO stories anons. I'm interested.

Was around 10PM, summer of three years ago. Me and my mate went out for a walk and a beer, we sat at an empty basketball field behind the high school i used to go to when i was still young and beautiful. Anyway, we were just sitting there talking and chilling, smoking cigarettes. At some point i noticed a bright spot in the sky that i thought was just a star, but looking at it i couldn't shake off the feeling that it's very slowly moving. I pointed it out to my mate and he focused on that thing too. It became obvious that thing is indeed moving because it changed it's position relative to the other stars around it. Now i was willing to pass it off as a low earth orbit satellite or something like that, but it changed direction of movement every so often. Some time during the next hour, the object lowered it's altitude and now it was obvious it was below cloud layer. It was emitting off light, but not like aircraft lights. It's bottom was glittering and shining with various shades of deep purple, violet, orange and other a bit hard to describe warm colors. Around this time the object got even lower, the lowest it got to that evening. I couldn't make out much of it, it seemed spherical in shape. At one point it turned on what appeared to be a spotlight from it's side. We could see a single beam of white light emitting off into the clouds, it would move around a bit, and the object itself too would move around but always still in the same general area in the sky above us. Now, keep in mind up to this point i thought it was someone messing with a drone or something, it was weirdish but nothing mind boggling or anything. That's when shit got real. The object turned off the spotlight and started rising altitude again. There is a very large airport close by, and lots of air traffic around where i live. An airliner was in the air, and it was flying in the direction of the weird object. In fact, the airliner was flying exactly AT the object (cont.)

>if true, that's pretty awesome user!
True in the sense that I did experience it, and it was pretty powerful, but one of those weird things you run into when you really commit to being an entheonaut.

I was meditating and I saw a lizard person inside me. I'm half ashenazki Jew. Does this explain everything?

So the airliner was on a direct collision course with the weird thing (or at least that's what it seemed like, the object itself could have been above or below the airliner's path and it only seemed like it was at the same altitude, hard to judge that as a ground observer). And that, my friends, is when the shit got real. That thing just jumped out from the airliner's path. It just went POOF and jumped some 600 meters or something around that in the air in less than a second. It didn't teleport though, it looked like in star wars when the ships jump to ftl and stars stretch out. The light from the object just stretched from one point to another. From being completely motionless it went into superspeed without accelerating and then immediately just halted without slowing down or anything. When i saw this i just looked at my friend and was like what the fucking fuck, did you just fucking see that?? And he did, we both saw it. Now i'm pretty fucking sure even the prototype, most top secret american military prototypes can't pull off that kind of physics-breaking shit. From that point on, the object lingered around for a bit longer, and then it started moving west in a slow, but constant speed, until it disappeared from view. The entire encounter lasted about two hours. It was also in a very large metropolitan area, not in some stereotypical corn field or dark forest far from civilization. I remember checking ufo sighting and stories for the next few days, looking if anyone saw something even remotely similar in the surrounding areas during that time, but haven't found much.

Qualia don't necessarily exist and they very greatly from person to person, the way the sun feels on your skin is different from one individual to the next.

>do you have such tales
Nope.
Kys /x/ bait.

maybe it was a meteor or something

You can't measure sentience and abstract feelings because the truth is you're dead as any inanimate object.
Biology tells us that we're alive because we react to our surroundings and we reproduce. And this is correct, for these reasons we are "alive".
But from a technical point of view, being alive and dead are indifferent. I know it's American browsing hours right now so I'm going to attract a lot of hate for this but; as far as we know (and we have no reason to think otherwise) there is nothing that makes us special as objects. We're just systems which energy and matter flow through. We're like a very complex waterfall. From this purely mechanical point of view it's correct to say that we're indistinguishable from dead beings (except we're complex). It's like how Dr. Manhattan puts it.

This is why we can't measure feelings and shit. Because it's literally non-existent. That feeling of sun hitting you sun isn't real, or put more broadly, your consciousness isn't real. You're a fucking circuit that can react to the fact that it's fucking alive, but that doesn't make it actually alive. Same goes for you.

And if you dont believe me its because you're stupid, i watch rick and mortar, and big bang theory, and i actually laugh at the jokes because i understand them.

You're not lying, are you user?

Gr8 B8 M8. 8/8

Science is not designed to make predictions about spiritual or even emotional aspects of human life.

It really just is for the physical stuff, which is all we really need to make predictions on in the first place. Spiritual stuff and emotional stuff is pretty easy to understand, but takes a lifetime of practice to perfect.

Just treat others well, but defend yourself and your family from threats as well. Decrease entropy around you clean your home. Get money so you can pay others to do the same, and Bam you've got yourself a solid spiritual foundation.

Yeah that actually explains a lot

No, i'm not. There isn't even anything that hard to believe about my story except for the part where the thing just casually jumped from one spot in the sky to another.

Once when I was a kid I dreamed a shortcut from my school to my home.

Since I find very hard to tell apart between dreams I had when I was a kid and things that actually happened in real lifr , heck even then it was hard to do so, so I had this weird dream where we were stuck in traffic in a very specific place I recognized and my mother said "I'll just take the shortcut" and then turned in a bunch of streets till we were no longer in the jam.
Fast forward to a couple of days later we were stuck in traffic in the same place we were in my dream and I said "why don't we just take the shortcut?" and directed her through the same path we took in my dream with the same result and then she asked me "Did your father teach you this route?" and I was like "you did". She looked really confused, and that's when I realized the first time I went through the shortcut was actually a dream.

Congratulations Rabbi Jewey McHewbrewbergenstein, your spirit animal is an Iguana.

I agree that it's very strange to think that our minds are just matter acting according to rules, because then it would be theoretically possible to build a mechanical computer that feels, which just feels weird. Like that comic of the guy walking around in an infinite desert simulating an entire universe through placing rocks in different orientations? Like when does a representation of a computation actually become a computation? Could someone really simulate me by placing random rocks in a desert? What if he kicked one of the rocks, and is that really any more absurd than some random chemical, like alcohol or a drug, changing the way I feel?
However, I think the problem of consciousness is a problem for mathematicians. Even if consciousness is immaterial, it still has to arise because of a set of rules, or it has to be atomic, which is equally weird.

>What actually ARE electrons though? That question isn't even really considered at all because it's simply not something we can answer with our toolset.
This isn't about our toolset, it's just being pointlessly reductive. Electrons can be described as much as apples can, you're just more likely to reject the electron's descriptions and go "yeah but what is it REALLY". It's entirely your own intuitions throwing shitfit because you can't directly sense it.

I get goosebumps whenever I read Nietzche's quote about staring into the abyss

>lay on bed
>windows closed
>door shut
>not moving
>zero airflow
>hear a plastic bag moving coming from behind me
>plastic bag is perfectly stable, has been there for months and is too thick to bend from a spider crawling on it

It could've just been the furniture dialating/contracting.

>meditated a few times were it felt like I was part of the Earth and the oneness of all living things
>saw a UFO (specifically an alien or advanced ship)
>virgin mary came to me (what I hope is a dream) and said "You, you....you!", needless to say I don't think she liked me.

>this entire thread
What happened to sci? Take your paranormal bullshit back to /x/

>REEEE
>y r u not r/fokinlovescience
>REEEE
Kys my dude.

you are scared of mechanical waves lel

I was visited by entities as a child and I believe I was genetically modified - 23 and me says I only share 97% of my genome with my parents.

t. Harvard PhD

this morning I was brushing my teeth, and I stepped away from the mirror and was pretty close to the door, when i did however i felt as if someone's body was there and I was leaning on it...it felt pretty solid too; might be my brain just fucking with me though

I had a lot of "experiences" with your mom.

>w-w-why isn't anyone taking part in my larp
You're pathetic

It's not the abyss that bothers me, it's the bs people try to fill it with.

Dunno user, I’m seeing quite a few responses. Maybe not all scientists are like your Rick Facebook group...