CCRU changed the very fabric of my being

CCRU changed the very fabric of my being.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cybernetic_Culture_Research_Unit

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilles_Deleuze

energyflashbysimonreynolds.blogspot.com.au/2009/11/renegade-academia-cybernetic-culture.html

What heady years.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cybernetics
libcom.org/files/[Ccru,_Nick_Land]_Ccru_Writings_1997-2003(BookZZ.org).pdf
libcom.org/library/ccru-writings-1997-2003
ccru.net/archive/monarch.htm
twitter.com/AnonBabble

there's no going back from deleuze
it just gets worse from here

'On November 4, 1995, he committed suicide, throwing himself from the window of his apartment.'

How comprehensible is that collection?

>cyberfeminist
lol, oxymoron

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cybernetics

'CCRU sees itself as the academic equivalent of Kurtz, the general in Apocalypse Now who used unorthodox methods to achieve superior results than the tradition-bound US military. CCRU claim that its frenzied interdisciplinary activity embarrassed the Philosphy Dept, resulting in the termination of the unit. Just as Kurtz disappeared "up river" into the Vietnamese jungle, the CCRU have strategically withdrawn to their operational base above the Body Shop.'

it sounds all very cool and full of retro-futuristic imagery, but i still am looking for the substance

Check it out for yourself.

libcom.org/files/[Ccru,_Nick_Land]_Ccru_Writings_1997-2003(BookZZ.org).pdf

ePub available as well.

libcom.org/library/ccru-writings-1997-2003

Its quite long, tell me, does it pushes stuff more far than Illuminatus or is just another rehash of john lily's tier 80's green-text consoles + hippy flipping?

>Deprogramming simultaneously retro-produced the program, just as witch-trials preceded devil-
worship and regressive hypnotherapy preceded false memory syndrome.

>witch-trials preceded devil-worship

> ‘One’ either has to embrace an arbitrary and outrageous cosmic plot (in which everything is being run by the Jews, Masons, Illuminati, CIA, Microsoft, Satan, Ccru...), or alternatively advocate submission to the most mundane construction of quotidian reality, dismissing the hyperstitional chaos that operates beyond the screens (cosmological ‘dark matter’ and ‘dark energy’)

>arbitrart and outrageous cosmic plot
>dismissing gnosticism

user this is triggering me

are we being spammed?

“Many members of the Ccru had fled cultural studies, disgusted by its authoritarian prejudices, its love of ideology, and pompous desire to ‘represent the other’ or speak on behalf of “the oppressed. To us, it never seemed that the real articulacy of the left academic elites was in any way superior to the modes of popular cultural expression which were either ignored or treated as raw material to be probed for a ‘true’ (i.e. ideological) meaning by white middle-class “intellectuals.

Ccru has tried to connect and cross-intensify with peripheral cultural processes (dark-side digital audio, cyberpunk, Neolemurian sorcery, numbo-jumbo, Afro-futurism, Indo-futurism, Sino-futurism …).”

Nick Land amiright

OK so this guys basically got so brainwashed and stockholmed by the huge body of work that CIA counter-intelligence has disseminated since the 40s that they positively believe that misinformation is the main force that drives culture?

Am i missing something?

“Syzygy was the title of a five week ‘art show’ co-produced by Ccru and Orphan Drift.

The name means ‘twinning’ or ‘twin-system’, and this theme operated as a multilevelled guiding thread. It was “during the production of this event that Ccru made contact with the virtual Continentity of Lemuria, which taught us many secrets that we have since attempted to formulate as ‘Digital Hyperstition’.”

>(((·))) Atlantis

The Platonic description of Atlantis, hermetically comprehended, constitutes the core of Fourth
Sphere doctrine: key to the entirety of Western religion, philosophy and science, as well as to the
destiny of the earth. Atlantis is conceived as the Ideal State, incarnated through the AOE. (Kant's
description of the noumenon as lying ‘beyond the Pillars of Hercules’ attests to the continuity of this
tradition). Second degree initiates understand that the oecumenic myth of Atlantis serves as an AOE
cover story, with the submergence of the legendary city-continent symbolizing its chronomagical
concealment, whose traces appear in tales of advanced technologies, higher intelligences, and the
visitations of an ‘alien race’ (the Nephilim of the Hebrew Bible, and the Sumerican Annunaki).

According to Moravec: After the conversion of the solar system into cyberspace infrastructure, the
computing power available will be sufficient to support very high numbers of historical simulations,
making it ‘overwhelmingly probable’ that the reality currently experienced is a technological
simulation. This argument resonates remarkably with the Third Sphere doctrine that quotidian reality
has already been absorbed into Axsys. (Moravec's probabilistic ontology further reinforces this
connection to the AOE, for whom ‘history is a game of chance’).

Kinda reads like something RAW would come up with if he were born 30 years later but somehow retained the same psychological warping and schizoid affect from the 60s counter culture

Its hippy flipping and john lilly, but it is well researched ill give them that, first 50 pages were a drag, now the AOE stuff is getting good

Can anybody actually explain how the actual fuck this thing works?

>misinformation is the main force that drives culture
yes.
is this not true my dear friendo?

look back at history. tell me if bad/faulty interpretation of information isnt necessarily the main driving force of culture?

its not at all, what you are suffering is existential depression due to all the propaganda your government used to try dissuade you from communism and fascims, the state of mind the normal American (or American-ized person) has is directly attributable to the massive distribution of misinformation and propaganda that the CIA has ben pushing since the 40s.

You have to understand the moving images started in the 1900s, the printing press in 1440, before the ratio of noise:signal in information was heavily skewed towards signal.

What you are indulging is in collective suicide due to psychological torture your government submits on you to hide that it has submitted psychological torture on your parents and grandparents. I must assume at this point in time they realize how horribly it backfired, but they can't do shit cause admitting what they did would be catastrophic.

James Angleton, Soviet Montage Theory, Münster Rebellion, Bernays

Im pretty sure you already know about this but somehow you have the defense mechanism of saying "haha im gonna become a wizard too!" instead of looking for whats true.

You DO live in a monstrous engineering piece of art that spans over kilometers and kilometers of human recreation facilities and utilities, can't say that got in there cause of propaganda, can't say bridges stand in their place cause of language-viruses

Truth is there's some things you can count on not changing not matter what flavour of schizophrenia you are on this week

But Adam Curtis said..something something MKULTRA something something Gaddafi tried to warn us something something Trump did 9/11

>signal in information was heavily skewed towards signal

I would hardly define living in the medieval wonderworld of yore as exactly living in a culture "heavily skewed towards signal".

Either way, you seem to be confusing HYPERSTITION with Hyperreality.

what the fuck am I reading

can someone give me a tldr of what this is?

guys who read Capitalism & Schizophrenia and developed a serious love affair for CYBERNETICS.

Thats it. Mark Fisher and Nick Land came out of this movement. So did ACCELERATIONISM

Damn, I like what I'm reading so far in Check out "Lemurian Time War" on page 24. It's about William Burroughs and Hyperstition. Some pretty killer ideas, all tied up into a "story" (or is it?).

>"In the hyperstitional model Kaye outlined, fiction is not opposed to the real. Rather, reality is understood to be composed of fictions – consistent semiotic terrains that condition perceptual, affective and behaviorial responses. Kaye considered Burroughs’ work to be ‘exemplary of hyperstitional practice’. Burroughs construed writing – and art in general – not aesthetically, but functionally, – that is to say, magically, with magic defined as the use of signs to produce changes in reality."

>"The hyperstitional process of entities ‘making themselves real’ is precisely a passage, a transformation, in which potentials – already active virtualities – realize themselves. Writing operates not as a passive representation but as an active agent of transformation and a gateway through which entities can emerge. “[B]y writing a universe, the writer makes such a universe possible” (WV 321)."

>"Burroughs’s fiction deliberately renounces the
status of plausible representation in order to operate directly upon this plane of magical war. Where realism merely reproduces the currently dominant reality program from inside, never identifying the existence of the program as such, Burroughs seeks to get outside the control codes in order to dismantle and rearrange them. Every act of writing is a sorcerous operation, a partisan action in a war where multitudes of factual events are guided by the powers of illusion"

Fuck this shit is good

it actually was

if you take the perspective of the working class peasant, his culture was about his locality and what he needed in order to survive

if you take the perspective of the monk, books were a priced thing and seldom touched on inane topics or contained misinformation or propaganda

>Angleton doesn't exist

>magic
Its literally propaganda and misinformation mystified by poetic selection of words

Wankery to justify academic grants.

Is there more than one land spammer.....or do you work as a team?

from the same article on Burroughs

"According to Kaye, the metaphysics of Burroughs’s ‘clearly hyperstitional’ fictions can be starkly contrasted with those at work in postmodernism. For postmodernists, the distinction between real and unreal is not substantive or is held not to matter, whereas for practitioners of hyperstition, differentiating between ‘degrees of realization’ is crucial."

The comparison the author of Lemurian Time War makes, contrasting hyperstition to post-modern relativism, is a striking contrast. It turns a negative into a positive, into sorcery or as you ( ) put it "propaganda"

Land's Horrorism is legitimately scary

>its only propaganda when is negative

fucking hell Veeky Forums put yourself together

DUDE SCHIZOPHRENIA LMAO

what no, that's not at all what I was trying to say.

I'm saying hypersition/magic/propaganda are the same thing, just seen from different perspectives.

Did you even read what we're talking about, Lemurian Time War? The idea is that fiction isn't just a representation of reality, it is what reality is made from.

yeah i know what you mean, its stupid as fuck lad, you are stuck in the idea that reality is in itself a text only because subjective experience can metaphorically be thought of as it.

I have two main points against that:

1- Are you posting right now through the powers of fiction?

2- If subjective experience is a text it means it has to be made of some sort of "words", which acording to the theory are thoughts (mixture of perception + judgement(sign, signifier)) what is then the thoughtless pure conscious state reached through meditation? what is loss of consciousness? what is sleep?

what is this about user ?
can some one sum it up in the simplest of pros ?

>lol language is a metaphysical virus lmao

lmao

so he just ripped snow crash?
woah

'Who's pulling your strings?' is a moden day masterpiece.

Jesus H. Christ theses are horrible TLDR's.

CCRU is about believing that Lovecraft was basically a prophet and the guy on the end on of the billion year telephone is sending us the necronomicon byte by byte.

Who is the guy on the other end sending us the message?

theory like this is like a rubik's cube. fun and interesting for a little while unless you're autistic

You know about Roko's basilisk?

Basically that thing, but about hundred times more inhuman, nihilistic and Lovecraftian.

Also early in CCRU's adventures they became OBSESSED with the Nummificator and believes it facilitates whatever the fuck is on the other end (probably a different god-like AI than the one transmitting the necronomicon).

Go to bed, Nick.

Ah yes, i didn't mention the gnostic crap cause its a given

you guys should be ashamed of yourselves. Reason is not a gift to be squandered like this

What's the difference between "theory-fiction" and fiction theory?

its like, you know how a lot of theory books read like they are in some nebulous other-land that consists of Hegelian weird abstract concepts or platonic forms of whatever?

theory-fiction just takes that and goes with it
like it isn't even pretending to be saying something concrete or applicable to the tangible world

just fictional theorizing ... playing with postmodern theory terms and ideas

Does anyone take all this seriously?

Yes, why wouldn't they?

It isn't like Land's belief is anything crazy by French academic philosophy standards.

Nico’s “The Marble Index” is both a work of folk music genius and classical, sculptural beauty--existing in a space that is wholly her own. It is a work of conjuration, both archaic and futuristic. This album is an example of what Bob Dylan called “Arsenic Music” or “Phaedra Music,” filtered through a Germanic classical ideal. This album is an ice sculpture, if the ice were frozen time. Nico is a seer. To understand Nico through standard rational-materialist lenses will do very little good, therefore I propose a new field that will help to understand her creation: cryochronology, or the study of frozen time. It will be an archaeology performed on the glacier that is “The Marble Index”. It is a particularly slippery and difficult new field, and therefore my study will risk some inaccuracies, dangers, problems with methodology, etc. Cryochronos is colorless amber, amber that can be used to freeze history, and look at it outside the contemporary delirium of acceleration and heat. Cryochronos allows us to achieve clarity through escape--one can view time as frozen. Cryochronos is a form of time-travelling through music and myth. Cryochronos is magic, the magic of the North, the magic of the Frozen Borderline. Cold slows particles down, it sterilizes. Cold cosmicizes.
Much has been made of Nico’s heroin use, especially during the recording of this album. The tendency to attribute a particular aesthetic to drug use is overly common and misguided, though drugs may be chosen by a person with a particular aesthetic. What should be noted, however, is that opiates are a drug of radical stasis, and internal cold temperatures. They are a drug for those who wish to withdraw from the world, a primal secular asceticism. Understanding opiates through Burroughs’ description of them as a cool intertia, a return to a primal metabolic rate of zero, helps us to situate Nico’s drive toward de-creation. “While it may be a reductive interpretation to regard The Marble Index as the ultimate heroin album, its hunger for narcosis, its frigid expanses, recalls William Burroughs’ description of the junkie’s quest for a metabolic ‘Absolute Zero’.” It also overlaps with the myths of the North, both previous/canonized myths, and ones that I create--new archeo-futurist hypostitions. The value of this album, if we are to reduce it to that, is that it sings the song of the North as zero limit, it builds this Ice Glacier that exists outside of time--it is a model for creating a myth to understand and escape the present delirium.

The Marble Index is filled with wonders, too various to generalize about. The album is a poetics of space and time in the frozen north. Nico builds a womb for herself to retreat into, out of some sort of quivering translucent material that looks like ice, but is actually frozen time. The album is a series of scenes that are actually reanimated sculptures--they are three dimensional and seem alive but there is a feeling of suspension throughout. They could be compared to Calder’s mobiles, or some kind of theatre made of wind-up toys--they are scenes that become animated, but are essentially static and sculptural. There are multiple competing theories on the universe that The Marble Index exists within. Some facts are generally agreed upon as true--it is set in the North (“that great expanse”), it is largely set within a single or multiple blocks of frozen time, the substance of frozen time is translucent and quivering, Nico longs for the womb. Other theories are more contested. Some have suggested that Nico has a certain Nietzschean thread running through her work--one where fate is linked to visions of eternal recurrence and history is a series of violent metamorphoses. There are numerous clues that Nico had a deep tie to pagan mythos, but there is no hard evidence to tie her to a particular practice. Everyone, of course, agrees that Nico was a junkie, but everyone disagrees about how much that matters. To some, the music is joyous, to others, deeply depressing (my personal theory is that if your spirit is of the North, you will find it natural, if you are acclimated to warmer temperatures internal and external, you will find it alienating).

This paper is not particularly political in the usual meaning of the word. But the personal and aesthetic is inseparable from the political, therefore it is a political paper as well as a poetic paper. The mythos that is used to tie it together can be understood better if I give a backstory on hyperstition, hypostition, and their relationship to time-travel and planetary meltdown.
CCRU or the “Cybernetic Culture Research Unit,” was a student-run collective at Warwick University, concerned with an unconvential philosophical method of researching the phenomena of capital and acceleration. Nick Land, Sadie Plant, and Mark Fisher were the most influential thinkers that emerged from the milieu, with Nick Land being the most notorious. Land was known to use amphetamine and trance music to commune with the demonic Lovecraftian gods of techno-capital. His early intellectual persona was described as a “mad black deleuzean”. Land was concerned with the acceleration of technology and capitalism as a deterritorializing “meltdown”. He and CCRU coined the term “hyperstition” to describe a new form of post-truth mythos that created positive feedback loops with an apocalyptic telos. Analogous to Dawkins’ concept of memes but with a richer understanding of the effects/vector/telos, hyperstition was understood as having the following qualities: “(1) an ‘element of effective culture that makes itself real,” (2) as a “fictional quality functional as a time-travelling device,’ (3) as ‘coincidence intensifiers,’ and (4) as a ‘call to the Old Ones’. The first three characteristics describe how hyperstitions like the ‘ideology of progress’ or the religious conception of apocalypse enact their subversive influences in the cultural arena, becoming transmuted into perceived ‘truths,’ that influence the outcome of history. Finally, as Land indicates, a hyperstition signals the return of the irrational or the monstrous ‘other’ into the cultural arena.”

It's really sad that nick land turned into a boring race bait frog twitter poster

>tfw Veeky Forums will jerk themselves raw over anything if the prose is ornate enough

ccru.net/archive/monarch.htm

>What the Matrix amounted to was a list of the demon-creatures which the Lemurian sorcerers had traded and made pacts with. More than that, the Matrix gave the numerical codes and other protocols that the Lemurians had used to contact these entities. I quickly learned the names and characteristics of many of these beings. I noticed that one seemed to be invoked more frequently than the others: Katak, a demon associated with terrible destruction and desolation. Night after night I ingested this Ccru spiritual poison, not realizing - or even really caring - how thoroughly it was insidiously eroding the basic fabric of my being, calling to my own inner demons.

Hahahah! This is worse than reddit writing prompts. Come on man.

>yfw these guys are a senior lecturers and professors at top universities

What is your excuse?

CCRU - Cucks Can't Read Us

jews of course

no, but seriously, academia is dick sucking general

The 90s were fucking weird

desu i prefer academia being satanic acidheads than feminist lesbians

>Not wanting the dream job of working 80 hours a week for $20k/yr to indoctrinate Christian minds with Jewish propaganda
Sucks to be you.

and yet GR is better still and more prescient

Hey I never said weird was bad

i support this

rate this essay