What am I in for?

What am I in for?
Is it like the Oedipus style, because that style I could at least follow the story

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rIF0d4PLsjY&t
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Definately a better experience than reading Proust or Kierkegaard y

nothing compared to the literary complexity of Naruto...or Bleach? or whatever it was

read it a longgg time ago. i remember it was a very well written story that i enjoyed. i was actually thinking about reading it again here recently...

>ITT: No one has read it.

a decent novel, but i didnt like it as much as beethoven's odyssey or the best work of da vinci

i've read some of it

Read it last year and I found it amazing, although it took me a bit to adjust to the style after reading Hamlet. I would read it again, but seeing as it's a Wordsworth edition I'm afraid it would break down.

why is mephistopheles drawn as dante
>Novel

Time to get in the mood OP

youtube.com/watch?v=rIF0d4PLsjY&t

>an abridged version translated by
>abridged

You have to read it in german if your really want to enjoy this masterpiece

The translations are shit to be frank. The entire appeal of the varying meters and rhyme schemes is lost in translation. The sheer genius of the poetry can simply not be ported to another language. It's essentially like reading Ulysses in a translation.

If you can, read it in German. The story itself is half interesting. Faust I is split. The first half is about a scientist unsatisfied with how little he as truly understood, aching to experience the highest of highs and lowest of lows. The second half is a mediocre love story.
Faust II is a whole other level. It's nowhere near as accessible and requires knowledge of German history, life at the royal court, Goethe's color theories and a wole load of other crap. Not something you should read without prior knowledge.

Excuse my English.

>Is it like the Oedipus style
No. Don't know why you would think it was.

>it's another 'you can't properly enjoy it because you can't read it in it's original language' episode

Don't think this is so, a few adequate translations exist-- the Princeton, and I believe I was flipping through a Bantam Classic at a used bookstore not too long ago (had like a late 70's early 80's copyright- I THINK it was a Bantam) and was pleasantly surprised.

Faust I is far more fluid and reader-friendly than what I had anticipated its being, and thoroughly enjoyable. Faust 2 is tough-going at first, but easy with a little research, and worth getting through. Like some of Tieck and Richter's work it feels post-modern 150 years before the fact in handling, or style, though not so much in subject(s).

>mfw my sister of 16 is reading this book in verse for school
>mfw my mom knows german and read the original version I gave her
>mfw I still haven't read it

I'm the plebiest in my family, help me lit

>dfw walter kauffman never translated part ii

Habe nun

Can anyone tell me how the Phillip Wayne translation is?
I'm going to start it pretty soon.

>Definately a better experience than reading Kierkegaard

not possible desu

An abridged translation. Congratulations. Would you like some rope or will you just jump off a cliff?

There is no such thing as an adequate translation of Goethe.

Just learn German and read the original. That way you also have an excuse until that time - you refuse to read plebby translations, and your German isn't good enough yet.

Bist du Deutsch? Was sollte ich lesen, bevor ich Faust II gelesen hat?

Mein Deutsch ist wirklich schlecht, entschuldigung.

It's amazing, essential, and should not be taken seriously. In terms of Goethe, being well read in world lit is leagues more important than being well read in German lit.
>Knowledge of life at German royal court
Lmao what you smoking boi

Princeton version is best

Greek and roman stuff

Wrong. Part One. It was adequate. Sind sie Deutsch?