Slaughterhouse Five

Just finished pic related; I liked it, but I didn't quite understand the point of the aliens... was there a deeper meaning besides just representing the escapism of a broken soldier? Any other thoughts about the book?

There's always fucking aliens in his books.

Read The Sirens of Titan now.

Poo-too-tweet?

Is the alien part really weirder than the war part?

Vonnegut's Tralfamadorians usually face some kind of problem with reality. In SH5, it's Predestination.

think of them as a framing device especially if you're going to pull the narratology argument with it, otherwise they provide a few good jokes and maintain a weird sense of sstructure to the book (again more on this in the narratology)

also a thing

whoah

Is Vonnegut a meme or should I read one of his books over spring break (also which one to start with?)

No he isn't, Slaughterhouse or Breakfast of Champions

>Breakfast of Champions
this was terrible, i don't usually drop books 2/3 the way though but i couldn't finish it. cat's cradle and slaughterhouse five had enough interesting stuff going on but this was 100% snarky reddit humor

He's a meme who i personally am not a huge fan of but he's still worth a read. Just do slaughterhouse 5 or Breakfast of Champions. I hated Cat's Cradle so much I put it down halfway through which is something I never do.

read him if you are in high school.

>besides just representing the escapism of a broken soldier
Ugh I hate these shallow psychological explanations. It's pretty obvious the Trafalmadorians are real in SH5. They have a different perception of time than humans which allows Vonnegut to tackle the idea of time in a radically different way ('so it goes'). It has nothing to do with escapism, stop projecting your shallow life on a great book.

Fuck you guy.

did you read him first in hs?

Idk why you think that is obvious; there seemed to be plenty of hints (traumatic head injury, the fact that everything he "experienced" was pulled from Trout novels) that the Tralfamadorians. Sure Conneaut uses non-linear narrative structure but that doesn't prove shit

*Tralfamadorians were figments of Billy's imagination

Player piano is very good

Yeah this. He's like entry level Pynchon tbqh.

That's giving him toooooooOOOOOOooooooOOOO much credit desu senpai

Cat's cradle was really easy to read, what didn't you like about it?

what a lucky pony