Is discipline/willpower really like a muscle? Have there been any studies done to support this?

Is discipline/willpower really like a muscle? Have there been any studies done to support this?

I am tired of being a willpowerlet but using my willpower doesn't seem to improve it.

Other urls found in this thread:

sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022103112000509
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

You can improve pretty much everything about yourself except intelligence, so just keep going if you have talent to justify discipline, otherwise it's not worth it.

i think there's some minimum threshold of motivation/mood/energy below which it just becomes impossible to do anything, regardless of willpower

>Have there been any studies done to support this?
There is a gigantic body of work on willpower lad.
Here is one notable paper.
sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022103112000509

One (just one among many) lesson there is that finding your purpose is extremely important. Basically the idea that you could be equally motivated by any sort of endeavour is a load of bolonies. We're not "motivated" in a vacuum, we're motivated BY something.

or perhaps some peoples "discount factor" is just set too low, so that they simply don't get much gratification for doing things that aren't immediately rewarding.

>One (just one among many) lesson there is that finding your purpose is extremely important.

What's your opinion on passion being something you develop by getting good at something rather than something you have before you start doing something?

bump

>using my willpower doesn't seem to improve it.
Huh? By definition, every time you use your willpower is a gain. For example, I just put off going to the fridge. Win. Does that not mean my fatass willpower was stronger than the last time I caved in and hit the mayo?

All you have to do to strengthen your willpower is keep making the right choices, every time. Stop identifying with your feelings, your urges, your wants, and identify with your word about who you are and how you are going to be. This was very powerful for me in finally giving up smoking 20 years ago, which I had done many times previously. "I am a non-smoker." That "I am" is very powerful. I am my word. And now, I am not going to the fridge again this evening. Because I am my word, not anything else.

>What's your opinion on passion being something you develop by getting good at something rather than something you have before you start doing something?
Not even necessarily getting good at something, but just doing it, struggling with it. But you can't have real passion for something before you do it, because you might not like it when you try it.

utter nonsense imo
After a couple months of college it was clear to me than math and physics were what I was born to do, it didn't take me years for it to be obvious.

Interesting paper. Thanks for sharing.

A great lie sold by capitalism to enlarge student debt and keep workers obedient. The truth is practice makes for very little of ability or passion, it's talent, and IQ in particular.

Yes.
You probably have the same problem I do: most willpowered people are very positive people, who are energized by the need of change the world has. I, for one, am exactly the opposite of that: I don't give a fuck about the world. Even if it needs change, I don't wanna bother doing it. On the other hand, I have A LOT of negative feelings that can be channelled into motivation as a way of avoiding them. For instance: At the same time I'm very lazy, I feel really anxious if I don't study, and I get even more if I don't get good grades. So, I motivate myself to study remembering of all the anxiety I feel when I don't study and when I get bad grades and then I study. Obviously it won't work entirely at first and you'll have to train yourself to amplify your negative thoughts to the point where they are unbeareable and the only way out is doing the task that needs to be done.

You seem very jaded.
Enjoy a mediocre life while being a slave to your circunstances and accepting suffering that doesn't have to be accepted.

So it's basically about positivity vs negativity. I don't think it has to do with positive or negative thinking. It's about having a purpose or lacking a purpose.

I do have a purpose myself, yet I struggled with having a negative mind, trying to apply a positive way of being and not getting any results.
The way your mind works is a very powerful variable in this and should definitely never be disregarded.

You can't just adjust your way of thinking if you can't convince yourself to think otherwise.

You have to accept it when IQ is 85% genetic and required to be great at STEM. It's harsh but it's the truth as supported by research.

lol im a 135 iq brainlet and im getting Bs and mostly As in my 3rd year of undergraduate physics.
and im a fuckin nigger too, got in without affirmative action

So what's your point?

Congrats you are one in a billion, truly special case

my point is, success in STEM is not as genetic as you think it is

Oh I get it, being in the top 1% of IQ and doing well in STEM means anyone can do it, because anyone means anyone not braindead and practically animal, which is everyone with IQ below 130?

>except intellignce
we can assume willpower is like intelligence

lmao sorry about hurting your fee fees. i genuinely thought 135 was considered brainlet here.

You don't need to be sorry. I'm the retard here.