ITT: books that made you cry

ITT: books that made you cry

that's the worst of John Green's novels imo. I never understood the appeal.

What is the best John Green novel?

Lol how?

At the end when he dies

Cry from boredom

All of them

You cried reading the The Crying of Lot 49? Is OP being a faggot or did I miss something? I don't remember a tugging in the well of my soul reading that.

you're pleb

desu

I understand now that you haven't read it and think you are funny,picture my surprise when someone here memes a book they haven't read

My Dairy to be desu

I'm not a sci-fi kind of guy but Flowers for Algernon made me cry like a little bitch.
Victoria by Hamsun is also heartwrenching

the count of monte cristo
assassins apprentice and that series in general

Harry Potter

>I understand now that you haven't read it
Huh? Yes I have read it. I cried at the end when Arthur dies

desu desu desu

Oh. The one from his perspective? I see I thought you were memeing it's a decently popular book so it's something people would probably shit on it here for no reason. As a genuine question did you find the "climax" anti climactic? I did. It didn't ruin it for me just felt like a wasted opportunity

I'll be honest it's been a few years since I've read it, I think 2014. Is the climax where they run into those bandits?

The bit where that random kid kills the antagonist and then commits suicide

White fang and the illiad made me cry like a baby

not that they are really that good, b-but.. TFIOS. I've read it three times.

now hold on there.. I did it the other two times to study it dry and figure out what makes it so popular so I too can become the next author that gets shit on around these parts.

i cried from Mrs. Dalloway, Stoner, and Confederacy of Dunces

none cause I'm not a homo

that was an awesome book, nothing like it

The disintegration of Mucho and Oedipa's relationship is p sad

Virgin suicides
Vurt
Never let me go
Remains of the day
Mason and dixon

IDGAF

This one hit home for me more than others.

This one wrecked me. Really powerful and tragically sad. Made me reconsider my life and make significant changes to it.

Man, the first 2-3 pages had be bawling

You actually read the whole thing!?

The Fault in Our Stars, because I made a deal with my gf at the time that I'd read it if she would read a book of my choosing, and it was the most retarded, whiny piece of shit I'd read since Harry Potter in 8th grade. I told her to read Moby Dick. She said the descriptions in the first two chapters were pretty and then stopped reading.

Les Miserables and East of Eden both have powerful, emotional endings where the main character dies but I still don't find myself crying despite loving both of the books and how they end.

But then I've cried like a bitch at movies.

Dickweed, you offered to read a 150 page book if she read a 400 one.

what made me cry was the epilogue actually, you read and it suddenly stops and then there's the epilogue that says what happened afterwards

In my defense, I thought it would be a fun read. I went through Moby Dick when I was a teen and loved it despite not really "getting" most of it.

This faggot did it to me in public ffs

What part of the Dragon Reborn made you cry, OP? Pic related for me.

This

Cry for humanity maybe.

No book has ever made me cry, because I am not a woman.

I finished pic related on a train back to college after thanksgiving break. I began to sob hard after the fürst pückler and after reading that Bolano's children decided to publish the book as one novel rather than 5. That moment changed my life and has instilled a sense of deep belief in literature.

I took a creative nonfiction course with him at Ponoma back in '94. We weren't allowed to show anyone our essays outside of the class for some reason. He seemed naturally intelligent, didnt need to look at any notes or textbooks or prepare for any lectures, he just knew his stuff and was super casual.

I saw him talking to a girl on campus one day. He uncharacteristically wore a Fila sweatsuit, the kind that looks like it's made from the same material as parachutes, and trainer sneakers with a matching bandana. That was his pussy hunt outfit apparently. Several times a week, same outfit, I'd see him hitting on women in it. I once saw him wearing it while carrying an identical outfit from the dry cleaners, he had like 4 sets of same Fila sweatsuit.

I asked him about it in class and he said we aren't allowed to discuss anything unrelated to class while inside class, the same way we can't show anyone outside of class our essays. A student called out "but Dostoevsky isn't in this class and last week you talked about replicating his black tea obsession to test its affects on your own writing". Wallace stared blankly at the student with dead eyes for 30 seconds in dead silence then said "you just got knocked down a full letter grade. Any other smart asses? Didn't think so." and pushed up his glasses with his index finger.

I remember telling myself this guy will either be super successful or kill himself.

Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace. IQ tests are unreliable with scores beyond 200, and we're talking about a man with an estimated IQ score of 250, 300, possibly higher. His masterpiece, Infinite Jest, is a shoe-in for greatest book of all time by anyone who has ever read it completely and truly paid close attention on every page. 99% of people who try reading it will give up less than halfway through, because it's too long, they're not paying close enough attention to what they've already read in it, and they more just want to say they finished the book than actually understand the messages. It is for this reason that Infinite Jest has such a negative connotation from most people, while amassing an extremely active cult-following amongst those who have the testicular fortitude to actually follow through with reading the entire book, so do not go by the down votes on reddit regarding Infinite Jest posts. Regarding how it builds your inteligence: To finish the book with full attention paid to it in itself will build mental strength and discipline to accomplish most mental tasks within reason. There are hundreds of "sections" instead of chapters, and if you are reading them closely enough and understanding the messages David Foster Wallace is sending you, you should have an existential crisis followed by a life altering realization for every single section. And every time you re-read Infinite Jest, you will find something you missed, the same phenomenon will occur, in a wonderfully vicious endless cycle, truly living up to the "infinite" theme of the book in a very practical way -- the brilliance of DFW.

Anna Karenina, The Catcher in the Rye, To Kill a Mockingbird, Hamlet, Ode to a Nightingale by John Keats, Dulce et Decorum est by Wilfred Owen (two poems but I don't care), Infinite Jest and Brief Interviews With Hideous Men.

>
The Grapes of Wrath has a more emotional ending than East of Eden imo. East of Eden's ending really didnt upset me afai remember.

Also Im reading Les Miserables now unabridged so im excited for it more now that you liked it

Where the red fern grows, Flowers for Algernon, and the Great Gatsby

10/10 pasta

Yeah, i'm sure that you just ironically read a John Green novel THREE times for "research"

The Secret History by Donna Tartt. I know it spells out what happens to Bunny in the beginning, but still.

Every book after Gardens of the Moon made me tear up at least once, and I cried like a baby a few times throughout.

Ye

Shut up Penis Herb you should have given her something shorter like Catcher in The Rye or some shit.

tfw you'll never be 12 years old again bawling your eyes out in your grandmothers comfy, flowery garden while reading the last harry potter book and listening to mika - happy ending, on repeat.

It was like Lord of the Flies with psychopathy and abusive parents

The Death of a Salesman was pretty sad too

>Deathly Hallows came out ten (10) years ago

It's been sitting for months now in my shelf.
I might push it closer on my backlog

>Hamlet
Where? I love that play but it doesn't make me want to cry

noo the first time was to impress a girl and actually kick started my love for reading, again, some years back. b-but the other times desu

one of those is not like the other

wrong dosto book, you posted the comedy

poofs

I think everyone teared up at the end of the Return of the King

Stoner

in the early parts of the book when his friend dies and their fighting over who gets his boots and he just runs into the night just trying to feel alive is my favorite part

Jude the Obscure, cottdamm.

The ending of Stoner gave me teary eyes, but my uncle was dying of cancer at the time which probably made me unnecessarily sensitive to it.

It didn't make me tear up, but it did hit pretty hard. Though tbqh I don't cry with any fiction.

I genuinely cried you know when during Go Tell It on the Mountain.

what part did you cry on?
I just felt a deep disgust after I read what happened to Villefort, had to put the book down for a while after that.

Cried at Deadhouse Gates sure enough. I don't think any other book has managed that since my childhood.

Unironically none, some left me with a feeling of emptiness and despair, but none made me simply cry

fucking this

Yeah I just finished the book earlier today, and I found a lot of it silly. The messages that come through the complex metaphors are really interesting. Still, I was not moved emotionally by any of it. Even the parts where she is isolated from everyone left with only her crazy conspiracy felt like it was a satire of dramatic scenes in books. A lot of it felt like satire. Muchos radio station is KCUF (FUCK backwards), the whole seen with dr hilarious flipping out is nothing but wacky, the excessively comprehensive descriptions of the play and the histories of thurn and taxis and tristero seemed more like a way to show how unnecessarily deep she was looking into everything for loose connections. I honestly believe if the book made you cry, you missed the point or you relate to Oedipa more than you should.

I have come to the depressing realisation that I enjoy children's books more than the books favoured by the intellectual elite, and that has made me question my own brain. I have found Pooh to be both funnier than any other book I have read, and sadder.

The " What did I expect?" Just echoed in my head after I put the book down. Definitely one of the most powerful endings to a book I have read.

It's a shit book.

Pine cone has said that you can't expect an artist to always make better and better work. To him lot 49 was a point where he plateaued.

Don't you understand humour in CRYING A LOT OF 49 makes you CRY

Continued:

And so is Stoner.

I am still thinking about what exactly it is that makes modern literature so terrible. I think it might be an absence of glory. Even Vanity Fair, bleak and miserable and unenjoyable, had the character of Dobbin provide some virtue.

Perhaps that is it. Virtue. The progressive writers of today are absent of virtue, and so are their readers. So they cannot identify with the virtuous character, or themes, in older classics. And so they do not include virtue or glory or the like in their writing. And so virtuous people, such as myself, do not enjoy them. Instead they include things that they and their readers and the modern academic elite can identify with: lousiness, nihilism, immorality, etc.
What they do do, of course, is fill their mostly plotless stories with lots of baggage and wait for the critics to think up a reason why this baggage makes the novel great.

Yes... I remember Stoner. I remember thinking "what is the point? Why is this a story?" Reading Stoner and enjoying it is like wallowing in your own mediocre, hopeless life, devoid of ambitious themes.

Bit of a stretch.

You are not wrong about your last point. The whole book has the blatant message of mediocrity. The way they deal with it is fairly interesting. The wife hates him for it and tries to take revenge in small ways. The daughter drinks if I remember correctly but stoner in the face his life's lack of glory doesn't become nihilistic and resentful. He still achieves a fair amount and pours his energy into what makes his life meaningful. Whether it's his daughter his books or his teaching. At the end I was really motivated because it shows that even mediocre lives can have meaning. You don't have to be glorious and heroic to be doing something that justifies your existence. Being honest and passionate is almost worth more than that.

t. Thermidor blogger

Suttree, Lolita.

A great piece of fiction indeed.

How much of a massive tit do you need to be to cry to any of the books mentioned here

I cried in the end of Crime and Punishment, it reminds me of when I was groveling in front of my mom for being a NEET failure.

Lolita ;_;

not cried, but I got a lump in my throat during the scenes of respite in The Road where life almost goes back to normal for brief moments, and instances when the man does some serious Dad stuff

this tbqh

anything I had to study at school was utterly ruined for me.

Brothers Karamazov, the part with the dying kid and the dog, with the father trying not to cry in front of his son.

>The Road by mccarthy

>A farewell to arms by hemmingway

>The plague by camus

The sun also rises filled me with some pretty gnarly melancholy,any hemmingway i guess

Oh it wasn`t Bunny who made me cry....