Is the GRE a reliable way to determine IQ?

Is the GRE a reliable way to determine IQ?

IQ isn't well-defined

there's no correlation between them

IQ has been proven to be an unreliable standard of intellect and cognitive aptitude.

Really? Elaborate friend because /pol/tards are always REEEing over it.

It's like judging health based on BMI. It has good correlation and is based on some biology, but it's just not that good. It's useful, because if one population has significantly higher BMI, it's fair to say something is going on there and warrants further investigation.

jesus you're retarded
denying IQ tests is like denying climate change

I see, well I always figured that is can't calculate talent among other things.

yes and no. if you are smarter, you will do generally better on the GRE. that said, it is not a good indicator of intelligence:
1) 2/3 of the test assesses (american) english language abilities. reading section should really only test comprehension, since any motivated idiot could memorize the dictionary
2) essays do not test college or professional writing skills at all. scoring encourages verbosity and the use of obscure vocabulary over concision and clarity. not to mention you don't need to substantiate any of your claims
3) only tests middle/high school math like planar geometry, graph analysis and arithmetic. does not test more abstract problem solving skills that are necessary in STEM, let alone calculus, comp sci or linear algebra knowledge.

ultimately, whether or not the GRE is a good test of IQ isn't that big of a deal---I would say it's a decent indicator of intelligence, especially if the test taker hasn't studied for it and is already fluent in english. the bigger issue is that it is a terrible indicator of the skills we're supposed to learn in college---problem solving, communication, critical thinking. it begs the question, why not just have grad school applicants take the SAT? at least the SAT tests grammar.

t. low IQ brainlet

>it begs the question, why not just have grad school applicants take the SAT
if you isolate all the grad applications from the high schoolers you can compare grad students directly with each other.
in theory at least, pajeet ruined the gre curve and even then there's no correlation between good gre performance and grad school. it's only there to autoreject brainlets

>at least the SAT test grammar
not anymore, they're removing the writing section

yes

Yeah but /pol/tards are fucking retarded.

>le /pol/ bogeyman

Of course there is, but no, the GRE isn't considered a great indicator anymore. MENSA no longer accepts the test because it eliminated "g-loaded" skills. MENSA still accepts the GMAT and the LSAT.

false
it is of questionable use after a certain point
you won't find a professor at MIT with a lower IQ than 140.

So it works very well but isn't perfect. Gotcha. You are just like the fat fucks who use body builders to justify eating four big macs at a sitting.

I only have an iq of 118.

The SAT is the worst test for estimating IQ. The SAT literally changed their test so it wouldn't be nearly as closely correlated with IQ. You know nothing.

The GMAT is the most IQ like standardized test.

No. Because your processing speed can be bellow average and your VCI could be genius level.

back to /pol/ pablo

This effects all standardized tests, but especially the SAT and ACT now. They are much simpler and both are basically speed/accuracy tests. Great at identifying who will be good Excel monkeys. Poor at identifying genius.

Post gre scores
Quants 157
Verbal 162
Awa 4

Not sure.

I'm really slow-moving when it comes to problem solving. Not because I can't operate at higher speeds, but because I get anxious about not having double-checked all the angles of the problem. I actually ran out of time on every math section.

My scores were sufficient for my desired program, though. And, it seems obvious in retrospect that some programs will put more stock in it than others. If you're Phys/Math you're doing mathematical manipulations all the time; why wouldn't you score well? Meanwhile these same programs might value a good verbal score, but I haven't heard of either asking for particularly high numbers.

I think general ability to solve problems can be evaluated, but it seems like a blurry picture. I'm all for exams to help evaluate general ability, but I feel like GRE is currently more of a scam than anything.

Verb 162
Quant 164
Essay 5.5

evidently you failed the reading comprehension section

Verb 167
Quant 170
Essay 4 lmao

Math: 760

That's all I remember or care about.

Well, Jordan Peterson claims to have an IQ in "excess of 150" but only scored in the 75th percentile for the GRE.

A problem with these admission tests like the SAT and GRE as proxies for IQ tests is that they're biased towards testing crystallized intelligence, which is learned.

>amerimutts have a standardized test for grad school

We have multiple. GRE, GMAT, tests for law and medical schools. GRE is the most popular, but GMAT is used for finance (quant), business, and accounting grad programs. Since people in Anthropology and English programs take the GRE, it is the easier test. About 85% on the GMAT math is considered equivalent to 99% on the GRE by people who take both.

so none for hard science?

No, it is a kind of a joke to use the GRE for things like Engineering and Physics but they do. They would be better off using the GMAT, but even that is probably too easy to be of any good at the top programs. The GMAT is interesting in that it isn't a speed/accuracy test; it is a difficulty test. For instance on the Math test, there are 51 different levels of difficulty. The computer keeps feeding you problems with the goal of finding which level you get correct 50% of the time. This is one reason it is much more related to IQ: the higher you score, the harder problems you can solve, and solving easy problems quickly means little to your score. It also actually tests various forms of logic. The GRE being used for hard sciences is basically a joke.

this gmat thing sounds interesting

Have you considered the possibility that he's lying? He's never struck me an incredibly intelligent man. Smart, yes, but a genius? I'd have to see his test scores to believe that.

Verb 152
Quant 154
Essat 4.5

>tfw when still got into phd and guaranteed funding for four years

Math: 880
get rekt

GMAT
Math 50
Verbal 47