Music theory

Looking to get into reading about ,music theory. I want to actually understand music than just enjoy it and read it. Any suggestions on entry level reading for music theory?

Other urls found in this thread:

imslp.org/wiki/Category:Music_theory
imslp.org/wiki/Category:Writings
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/mu/
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/mu/thread/S70447100
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/mu/thread/S70462169
gumroad.com/l/tldrmusic
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Funny, I just listened to that album last night. I have no clue there were books about music theory and I would be extremely surprised they are not all Hal Leonard "How To Play" pamphlets

I think it's useless if u don't play any instrument.

Music theory literally reflects on practical side: why would you learn what is the value of a crotchet if you don't use this shit for anything? Think about it.

except I do, so give me some reads my man

listening to music can be a own "skill" and you don't really have to play an instrument to see the aesthetics of music as an art

imslp.org/wiki/Category:Music_theory
imslp.org/wiki/Category:Writings

be more specific about your plan for more specific recommendation

there are regular threads on /mu/ with textbook recommendations which you can find in archive archive.rebeccablacktech.com/mu/

The AB Guide to Music Theory, parts 1 & 2
Eric Taylor

im on moo everyday and never see that shit. Is it in /prod/ ? All i ever see is the same shitty meme threads

sometimes prod too
there used to be /composition generals/, i dont lurk enough to know what happened recently
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/mu/thread/S70447100
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/mu/thread/S70462169

You should get into sound production as well

No. As well as you don't need learning how to paint so as to appreciate paintings, likewise, you don't learn music theory in relation to music.

Also, anons, even musicians don't care so much for theory: the import is the music.

btw
important thing*

those who matter, care about nothing else.
one can only talk about it and get inspired by platonic muse afterwards, when it was already finished.

> people actually believe this
smdh

Aaron Copland - What To Listen For in Music
Gives you a quick and nice rundown, though it concentrates mainly on classical music. Jazz and the early forms of electronic are mentioned, and rock isn't. (It was written in 1939)

The theory is what allows you to make music and explains how it functions. It's not necessary for enjoyment, obviously, but is useful and meaningful knowledge for an active listener.
Also, musicians do care about the theory, since they have to use it literally all the time in their job, to create the fucking music.

spotted the uneducated pleb

OP, remember you cannot enjoy music if you don't know music theory. It's like if you're a caveman or a dog, presented with the finest food in the world. You won't realize it's good.

The plebs ITT saying music theory doesn't matter, --- never enjoyed music and don't even realize it.

Unless you plan on doing serious compositions (i.e. classical music) or doing improvisational jazz you don't need to know anything beyond the major scale and it's relative modes and the major and minor pentatonic scales (derived from the major scale as well).

Don't waste your time over it.

+1
these are the best books about music theory in existence

I like to deal with the reality. Ssry, user.

There are certain painters whose expertise you can't fully appreciate without some practical knowledge of how to paint.

gumroad.com/l/tldrmusic