What's the scientific outlook for wanna be trannies like me...

What's the scientific outlook for wanna be trannies like me? I hear that brain transplants might be something that's possible.

Other urls found in this thread:

steadyhealth.com/articles/does-transition-reduce-the-risk-of-suicide-for-trans-people/does-transition-work-for-trans-people
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25690443
youtube.com/watch?v=WdRihAJ3H9Q
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I would hope by the time technology has advanced to the point of supporting successful brain transplants that we'll have progressed past this trend of indulging mental illness with pointless cosmetic surgery.

wow

Scientifically speaking, you are mentally ill, and no matter what treatment you receive you are likely going to die by suicide.

>pointless cosmetic surgery.
Why is it pointless? I'm pretty sure that it serves a purpose.

Gee, thanks. You're so right, we should just kill all the sick people instead of trying to help them.

So just ignore the mental illness until it goes away instead of attempting to treat it and allow for some people experiencing it to lead satisfying lives? That's seems like a stupid idea.

>schizophrenics are delusional
>get antipsychotics to deal with delusions
>gender dysphorics are delusional
>get genitals rooted out and transitional hormone therapy to validate delusions
what a contrast!

Have you seen the results of trying to give them antipsychotics? I recommend you do some fucking research before you make yourself look this stupid again.

>get genitals rooted out and transitional hormone therapy to allow for a chance at a reasonable quality of life for the patient after all other options have been exhausted.

nowhere did i say we should give them antipsychotics, i argued that the current accepted "treatment" is questionable, and that the delusions should not be validated. you just made a huge assumption and went entirely based off of it, kek

>schizophrenics are delusional
>>get antipsychotics to deal with delusions
>>gender dysphorics are delusional
>>get genitals rooted out and transitional hormone therapy to validate delusions
Is somehow meant to be understood as
>the current accepted "treatment" is questionable, and that the delusions should not be validated.

Are you serious?

Seriously, how does you post not imply that becuase both are delusional then they should both be treated the same way?

yes. why is this confusing? are you stupid?

>we should just kill all the sick people
Nah, you don't need to do all that. Sterilizing would work fine.

I'll assume this comes from ignorance. There is no real alternative to the current "treatment." These humans feel trapped and the suicide rates show that. If they express themselves in the way they want to express themselves in, the suicide rate plummets. Not all trans people want surgery either, they just want to be themselves.

This is why you don't have friends.

i am aware there isn't an alternative, i am lamenting that fact because the current treatment seems like bullshit.
? this makes no sense.

> i am lamenting that fact because the current treatment seems like bullshit.
Okay, can you specify? As in it doesn't work bullshit or in that it makes you feel weird bullshit? Or something else?

What's a better treatment? How about go into the field of study and tell me why it's wrong rather than just claim it is with no evedince to support that case other that to say that we treat other delusions differently. I feel that you lack any understanding of why people transition. Don't bring up tumblr tier people, we all agree that those people are not helpful or sane.

>If they express themselves in the way they want to express themselves in, the suicide rate plummets.
Link to formal study?

How about you link to a formal study that explains why the current treatment is "questionable"?

That's not how burden of proof works, and also I'm not the user in this thread who called it "questionable."
Do you really think it makes sense to count on someone proving a given treatment *shouldn't* be used? I'm pretty sure it's usually the other way around, you're supposed to establish some evidence for why the treatment is effective and worth using.

>I hear that brain transplants might be something that's possible.
Not gonna happen pal.
You have to cut of your dick and become suicidal or stay the person which god made you.

steadyhealth.com/articles/does-transition-reduce-the-risk-of-suicide-for-trans-people/does-transition-work-for-trans-people

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25690443

Here, you can read up on it.

Leftists: these people need help, what can be done to help them?

Rightists: these people need help, what can be done to help kill them?

"Mental illness" = "deserves to die" according to rightists. Literally so: Obama is the hero of every mental health professional because Obamacare helped so many people with debilitating psychiatric illnesses get medicine for the first time in their lives. The results were absolutely transformative, even though the mental health care system (and also the rest of the health care system) is still abysmal compared to every other developed nation on the planet.

>steadyhealth.com/articles/does-transition-reduce-the-risk-of-suicide-for-trans-people/does-transition-work-for-trans-people
>Does transition reduce suicidal thoughts or suicide?
>Recently, the Wall Street Journal’s Paul McHugh ran a story in which he observed that post-transition trans people had a suicide rate that was higher than the background population. This is true — but it’s a non sequiteur for our purposes.
lol
>Among those who had undergone a medical transition in the Ottowa study, for instance, suicidal ideation was halved — a dramatic improvement.
>suicidal ideation
>ideation
Hmm, I wonder why they need to cite rate of suicidal ideation as the evidence it works and not studies about actual suicide rates. Might have something to do with how the one mention of actual suicide rates post-transition in that article showed it was higher than background population.
>ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25690443
>Participants reported
>results of the standardized questionnaires
So more self-reported bullshit.

>Rightists: these people need help, what can be done to help kill them?
No. As a far right person I can tell you that I have a lot of empathy for white people with mental disorders and I think especially when they have gender disphoria they must get psychological help to avoid harming themselves.

Really? Okay what do you suggest they Do? Why is the shared, peer reviewed, methodology to help them not the way to go? What are other ways we can help? Also I like how you say whites as if they are the only ones deserving.

>Okay what do you suggest they Do?
Something which helps them and does not result in dramatic suicide rates.

>Why is the shared, peer reviewed, methodology to help them not the way to go?
How would I know?
But I would suggest that anything that results in 40%+ of them having suicide attempts should at least be improved upon.

>What are other ways we can help?
Having strong traditional families with a mother and father figure who the child can be open with certainly could be helpful.
I do not think that it is particularly helpful to have children raised by single mothers (or fathers) especially when that means that the child is often alone, or has no access to a member of the family who the child might feel more comfortable speaking to (especially when it is about gender).

Get professional mental help. That is what should be in store for you. Not this high order enabler bullshit.

>Why is the shared, peer reviewed, methodology to help them not the way to go?
What if I told you:
>Genital mutilation and hormone tampering
>Or not doing peer review
is a false dichotomy? Like the falsest dichotomy I've ever seen, holy shit.
Since surgery and hormone therapy don't seem to have any real evidence for significant reductions in suicide rate (as opposed to subjective reports of feeling less suicidal given by patients who are already desperate to convince themselves that surgery and hormones are the ultimate solution to everything), maybe it would make sense to have the standard treatment approach be something more along the lines of mood improving pharmaceuticals and talk therapy aimed more at getting them over their obsession instead of what they actually get today from therapists which is delusion-enabling professional validation that they need their bodies changed. Just a thought.

>help them not the way to go?
>How would I know?
>But I would suggest that anything that results in 40%+ of them having suicide attempts should at least be improved upon.
That's still is better then leaving them untreated. It's thought that the majority of would be transgender people kill themselves without ever seeking help. I can agree that the tumblr idea of "no their fine" is fucking stupid but when someone attempts to deal with their disorder the only recourse they often have is a treatment that doesn't work for everyone and puts them in a position where they are told they are mentally ill and should kill themselves on a regular basis, if they are not in that position already. As someone who has struggled with dysmorphia (stemming from having many surgeries as a child and nearly during many times) I can understand that transgender people have similar issue. I've learned to live with my body as well as I can but the feeling that my body is wrong has never gone away. If I could get some surgery that could make me just feel a little better and stop the obsessive thoughts that make my life so frequently miserable I might try it. Transgender people are in the same type of scenario, they have similar problems that they can't stop or make go away and medicine hasn't come far enough to make it magically better yet.

If you think doctors are pushing patients towards rather than away from such surgery you have no frame of refrence. Sure there are doctors who will preform what ever surgery the tumblr trans people want but anyone who is actually suffering from dysphoria doesn't want to transition. They just want to feel normal and not have constant obsessive thoughts that slowly drive them to suicide. For some people transition helps, not all. Have you seen studies that have been done on the effects of other forms of therapy given to those experiencing dysphoria? The results are not encouraging those either, I assure you. My point being that though the current treatment is clearly less than optimal, no one has presented a solution that actually works. The same, to a large extent, can be said dysmorphia.

>That's still is better then leaving them untreated.
Of course, I would never deny that, talking about these issues is probably the best thing you can do and has to be the first step to get any kind of improvement.
And by no means would I support people getting bullied because of their psychological conditions.
Reading through a collection of reddit posts, posted on /pol/, about a person going through sexual reassignment surgery made me realize how horrible these people (and also people like you) have to be suffering.
In that case the person transitioning was very much dissatisfied with the transition and you could see the regret dripping from the words when the person was describing how his new body felt.
At least it made me realize what a hard choice these people have, having to decide whether to go through with an operation which might greatly improve their lives or completely wreck them.

Hopefully we can actually treat it in a productive way with good prognosis someday. However, given it's extreme complexity and likely basis in physical changes to the brain that occur due to trauma early in development...honestly it's probably gonna save more people if we focus our energy on something more tractable, like cancer.

Did you miss the part where there is no evidence the surgery helps, and John's Hopkins refuses to do it anymore?

I suggest you start the long and painful process of confronting that which is within yourself. The pain is within your brain. It would come with you in the transplant.

Did you skip the part where that information includes people who signed a bunch of consent forms and skipped all the doctors appointments and evaluations that should go with making that sort of change to your body?

this, i can't believe cutting your dick off has become an acceptable treatment for anything lmao

Jews have been cutting parts of their dicks off to cure sin for thousands of years. Also, again, for some people getting their dick cut off is a relief to the pain their in, can you not empathize with so meine so tormented that they would be willing to curt off their dick to make it subside?

That of course doesn't account for the tumblr people who just sign informed consent skipping and "gate keeping" and getting a surgery that they don't really want or need that leads them to suicide, those people are mentally ill in a whole different way.

The former is child abuse. The latter is mental illness. Several people have chopped their fleshy bits off with garden shears when they were in an excited delirium instigated by an overdose of scopolamine alakloids found in the datura plant. They claimed it made them feel better. Should we pat them on the back too? Removing the ability for you to reproduce is about as constructive as purposefully going blind. youtube.com/watch?v=WdRihAJ3H9Q

Go back to /pol

Not an argument.

>The latter is mental illness
What's your point?

What should we be doing differently than right now that we haven't tried before without success leading us to change yet again?

You think it was meant to be? It's not an argument it's a statement, clearly. What's wrong with you?

Psychoanalysis. Getting at the root of the problem. The mind is the best healer. Disabling bodily functions to appease dysphoria is hardly the answer.

Bird-brained homosexual

You think we haven't tried that already? I specifically asked for something that hasn't been done. Did you fail to understand the question or did you just really think that they haven't done that?

Wow, you got me good with that one, you called me gay.

user, you're better off on some other forum. There are just a bunch of snarky assholes on this website.

Honestly, even there's a lot to hate about Veeky Forums (edgy bigotry being one of them) there's generally interesting answers.

Euthanasia is likely.

It's typical pol lingo. It basically translates to "I'm retarded"

I'm not taking that other guy's side, but comparing post operation suicide rates to the general population is useless to the argument. You need to compare pre operation tranny suicides to post operation tranny suicides to see if the operation does anything. I would very interested to see the results of a study that compares the actual suicide rates of those groups.
You are right about those other studies though, self reported statistics are dubious at best when it's fairly easy to get real data.

Mental illness
Kill yourself soyboy

It's assumed that most of them kill themselves before seeking any help. It's really hard to get that information of course when they don't seek help becuase people on the internet say that they need to kill themselves.

Go back to /pol