Obligatory Humanities in STEM education

Do you think STEM educational programs should continue to include obligatory Humanities courses? If so what is your rationale behind this opinion?

Other urls found in this thread:

web.mit.edu/education/
eecs.mit.edu/curriculum2016
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Do you think STEM educational programs should continue to include obligatory Humanities courses?
What school for brainlets do you go to where this is a thing?

All engineering colleges i have heard of sofar have departments of Humanities (pic related is a list of departments in MIT):

web.mit.edu/education/

where I live you only take humanities course if you want to become a teacher (BS tho) or if you really want to, at least in physics

no, it's a cashgrab that forces me to take nearly an extra year of school. fuck the "well rounded student" meme. that thing was fine in highschool. i go to uni because i want to specialize, not pay to take courses i dont give a fuck about.

I don't see any obligatory humanities here: eecs.mit.edu/curriculum2016

Go to the PDF with the degree outline, it says you must take at least 8 arts, humanities, or social sciences electives (HASS classes).

Yes, people in STEM are clinically retarded at critical thinking.

>Go to the PDF with the degree outline, it says you must take at least 8 arts, humanities, or social sciences electives (HASS classes).
then MIT is a school for brainlets

why not just go somewhere where you're not forced to take irrelevant classes?

In the US we do.

>critical thinking
You have no idea what this even is because if you did then you would know that STEM has the highest level of critical thinking.

Yes, they should include Classics (Ancient greek & Latin).

It is just what all (or a vast majority) of unis do in the US. It is pretty shitty because without them a normal graduation would probably be 3 years instead of 4.

no they don't, people in my are fucking retarded, and don't know how to follow instructions. You included senpai.

At the very least something that makes you present your ideas. Science without communication doesn't exist.

I also think humanities students should have to do basic science as well.

Scientific communication =/= Popular science

No it's presenting ideas to colleagues or clients. It's speaking and, more importantly, listening at conferences.
It's how to read and get the best from papers. It's how to write papers that don't put the intended audience to sleep.

There's a mandatory second language you have to learn at my uni.

Get to choose it?

I don't even think mass physical institutions should be a thing anymore in education, so no.

Everything should be in certs and fuck encumbering people with shit they don't want to learn.

Yes, there's about 30 languages you can choose. I went with Norwegian.

>I also think humanities students should have to do basic science as well.
they do, they just do the same thing you do with humanities: take meme easy A's to get it over with

Nah that's the most useless shit ever, those shitty dead languages are dead for a reason

Obscure choice...

why not Finn?

Fucking lol, muh land of the free sucks curriculum dick as some post-soviet shithole.

Ancestry reasons, vikings are a favorite of mine, and I didn't want to study the same languages as everyone else.

How is it possible, I heart your education is already expensive, and adding more courses don't make it cheaper.

Of course not. In my shithole of a country you only take classes relevant to your object. Maybe US education is a standard below?

>

>tfw linguistics is classified as humanities
>tfw write up formal proofs for linguistic analysis and get full marks because the TA doesn't understand basic formal language theory

No. I'd MUCH rather audit high-level humanities courses for personal enjoyment than have to worry about garbage 100-level gen eds to satisfy a degree requirement.

>Do you think STEM educational programs should continue to include obligatory Humanities courses?
Yes, of course any University education should give you at least some insight into an opposing field.
But considering the current state of humanities, these insights are becoming more and more worthless.

I would actually love to do something like , but the only thing I get are garbage "ethic for engineers" classes.
Which boiled down to taken the most boring leftist talking point, "animal experiments should be abolished" or "poor Africans are suffering from whites exploiting their countries".

Aren't Finns nordic too?

>american education

The language isn't related.

I'd like it to be available as an option but i dislike obligatory, mandatory stuff as a rule and imposing humanities shit on students would waste time and opens doors for political bullshit that ought to stay closed

If I'm expected to take calssic literature classes, humanities majors should be forced to take at least calc II

hahahaahhahahahahah I got an A in calc 2 hahaha you suck

t. relations """engineer"""

The crazy part is that many of them take literally no college-level math at all. They only take "college algebra" which is of course a high school level class

Agreed. Would mitigate the grade inflation bullshit in humanities as well.

>inb4 generous curving and watered down calc follows the humanities tard herd to stem subjects

You do not know what critical thinking means. Humanities majors walk into a classroom, accept what is told to them point blank, and learn not to challenge anything.

Everything in STEM revolves around the objective merit of statements and assumptions and that begets a deep critical understanding.