One hole or two?

Explain why using science and math

Other urls found in this thread:

merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hole
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Can you not have this thread again? You need to define hole rigorously before we can tell you.

>sci doesn't know topology

It's a three dimensional hole. The space occupies a volume.

It's two holes.

Is a hole in the ground only half a hole?

shut up, you idiot

not an argument

It's a three dimensional hole. The space occupies a volume. You're a moron and I bet your face is really ugly

So a hole in the ground is only half a hole then since its merely a straw with a closed bottom?

>The space occupies a volume
that would make it one hole faggot

So if I seal the bottom of a straw would that make it half a hole?

No, a hole in the ground is not a hole because if you simply pulled the ground from all directions around the hole it would flatten.
Likewise, if I have a cup, made of something malleable, I could flatten the edges into a flat disc with no holes by pushing the sides down.

A straw has one home, because no movement without otherwise breaking the object can make it into something with no holes or with two holes. Were I to flatten the edges like I did with the cup, I would have something like a flat donut.

dont listen to that faggot he doesnt know shit and sucks dick

THATS MY ENTIRE FUCKING POINT I HATE YOU WHAT THE FUCK I SAID IT WAS ONLY ONE HOLE FUCK YOU

NO YOU WOULD HAVE A CONTAINER. HOLY SHIT YOU'RE SO STUPID

What are you talking about, you can't have half an A-Press!

haha look someone triggered the autist haha suck my dick bitch

topologically speaking, how many holes does a woman have?

>No, a hole in the ground is not a hole
Ok friend. Then why is it called a hole?

Saw this on facebook. The correct answer isn't even among the propositions.

SUCK MY FUCKING SHLONG. ILL CHOKE YOU OUT WITH YOUR OWN BUTTHOLE YOU BIG DUMB BITCH

>implying containers aren't half holes

Humans are topological donuts, because the 'inside' of your digestive track is in fact on the outside of your body.

you can't have half of a hole you moron. if you cover half of the hole in a bucket full of water its still a hole. theres no such thing as half of a hole

That would be none.

There are 6 holes
1 the collar
2,3 the hand holes
4,5 the weird holes on the center
6 the bottom hole close to your belt

so when you eat food, the food never actually goes inside of you???

lol, I honestly don't know how to respond to that

eat dick for breakfast

try me bitch boy i bet you'd like to see my butthole wouldn't you huh fucking faggot bitch make me cum you whore

Oh fuck yeah, oh shit. Goddamn, oh fuck yeah. That's fucking hot, holy shit. Oh fuck, oh shit. Yes baby, holy FUCK

dumbass, the holes in the middle go through the fabric in the back and front of the shirt, and the neck and waist hole are topologically the same hole.
that means there are seven holes

What the fuck guys

One? The vaggy is closed so that leaves the mouth and shitter making one full hole.
Wait no you have the nostrils connected
So three
And the ears make an independent hole right? Or do the ears stop after a while
Can a science man tell me if the ear holes end or have an opposite hole
Eyes?

Do pores count too fuck

Well we're all made of cells right? So maybe no holes as we're just a collection of no holed cells

this thread is fucking embarrassing you should all be ashamed

the obvious answer is that there is no hole, holes don't exist

True I forgot that, but why are the neck and waist the same hole?

I don't know
Why do people think we only use 10% of our brains?
Why do people gamble when it's mathematically rigged to make you lose over time?

Probably because they're all fucking brainlets like you

Wow such scientific/mathmatical answers. Not impressed.

someone please define a hole and give me the correct answer.

Uh oh. We have a conceptual child here folks. YOUR BRAIN IS SO DUMB

>do the ears join in the middle of the head
lmao what the fuck

no, the ears and eyes are just elaborate indentations, like the vagoo and urinary tract

I hadn't actually considered that the nostrils are indeed connected, so i suppose that does make 2 holes.

anything inside the body wouldn't count since we're concerned with just surfaces

if the shirt was entirely elastic, and you could change it however you pleased, you could re-arrange the material such that the neck and waist hole were joined. you couldn't do that with any other hole though

That's not an argument. It didn't convinced me. It just insulted me. Being mad online is not an argument. I consider my point: made.

merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hole

>a hole in the ground is not a hole

>Take a coke can
>It's closed, no holes
>Punch a hole at the top
>One hole now
>Punch a hole at the bottom
>Still one hole

This is what one-holers actually believe

We can't all be as smart as you user. Now go do your linear algebra homework, you have an exam soon, don't you?

Thanks! I was worried the weird holes in the middle were making the process you're describing impossible but I see now that I was wrong to worry.

Fuck im autistic

Merriam Webster isn't a scientific dictionary faggot
It gives explanations for brainlets

fucking faggot bitch i knew it haha EXPOSED motherfucker what NOW

Nothing ever goes inside. We are just holes upon holes upon holes. Our cells are just holes that surround the nutrients. Food just passes through our digestive system. One main hole, and all these branching holes. Macroscopic to microscopic holes upon holes.
HOLE SYSTEMS. JUST HOLES ITS ALL HOLES.
THEY ENTER HOLES AND THE LEAVE THROUGH HOLES IN SPACE AND ITS ALL JUST HOLES HOLY FUCK IT ALL MAKES SENSE HOLY FUCK I CAN SEE EVERYTHING

>faggot
why the homophobia

Punch me in the head and throw me in the mud. Call me a boy tonight!

Shave my head in front of my dad, call me a boy tonight!

Holey shit

Mathematically speaking, it isn't.
Of course in English it is a hole, by all means. But an English "hole" isn't a mathematical "hole".

it's a sphere with 8 holes in it. You can take any hole, pull on it, and you get a flat piece of fabric with 7 holes

you're wrong nigger, that's not a flat two-dimensional surface with sharp edges, its a three-dimensional object with depth.

isn't every circle a hole? depending on how you slice this bitch up there's an infinity of holes

Why the racism?

A hole implies volume. A circle is 2 dimensional and without depth.

satanic trips means this is now canonical topology everybody

no it doesn't, shut the fuck up. youre not the authority here. suck my dick

youre the person who is dumb

IF YOU PUNCH A HOLE AT THE TOP IT STILL HAS NO HOLES YOU STUPID FUCK ITS A CONTAINER

what is this faggotry chant make it stop

Are you on LSD?

Call my mom and tell her I'm dead! CALL ME A BOY TONIGHT

>a hole implies volume
i didn't know that

The "number of holes" is defined as the genus [math]g = \operatorname{dim}H_2(M)[/math], namely the dimension (or the number of generators) of the second homology group. For a space [math]X[/math] that is homeomorphic to a cylinder [math]S^1\times I[/math] such as a straw, it can be homological-invariantly retracted to [math]S^1[/math]. Using [math]U \cong V \cong \mathbb{R}[/math] as subsets of [math]S^1[/math] without the north/south poles, respectively, we can compute the homology group with the Meyer-Vietoris sequence
[eqn]
\dots \rightarrow H_2(U\cap V) \rightarrow H_2(U)\oplus H_2(V) \rightarrow H_2(X) \rightarrow H_1(U\cap V) \rightarrow \dots
[/eqn]
which is equivalent to
[eqn]
0 \rightarrow H_2(X) \rightarrow 0
[/eqn]
which by exactness of the sequence means that [math]H_2(X)[/math] is [math]0[/math], so there are no holes in the straw.

trolling topologists is so easy
you just have to say
>cut it
and they lose their shit
you guys are such fucking nerds lmao

>what is surgery theory
Fucking idiot.

Topology is gay if there's no holes in a straw

>for a space X that is homeomorphic to a cylinder
and just HOW did you reach this conclusion

settle down
i'm too stupid to know if this is true

Just uncrumple the folds lol.

so can we define hole to mean the number of planes you need to give the object an inside?

a hollow cylinder is NOT homeomorphic to a cylinder you cretin

a hollow cylinder is a cylinder

It's not. You can't morph a straw into a cylinder. It's fucking wrong and might I just ask where the fuck did that person get the nerve? I'm a fucking genius.

>he's fucking retarded
do you seriously not know how to visualize [math]S^1\times I[/math]?

>You can't morph a straw into a cylinder
bullshit

I fucked up.
The genus is actually defined as the dimension of the FIRST homology group [math]H_1(X)[/math] and since [math]H_1(X) \cong H_1(S^1) = \mathbb{Z}[/math] there's actually 1 hole in the straw.
>tfw I'm a fucking idiot

>there's actually 1 hole in the straw.
i thought you were trolling. it worked out that way anyway lol.

i know what ill call you tonight ill call you A BITCH

GET DUNKED ON. THERE IS NO ROOM FOR MODESTY OR HUMBLENESS AMONG GENIUSES

did your mommy call you her little genius? because it's nauseating for a legitimate genius to hear you talk about yourself that way

How dare you. Damn. That was very stone cold Steve Austin of you.

I was wrong not for the reason you thought though. You're still a massive retard lol.

The number of holes would rather be the dimension of [math]H_1[/math].

Your sequence becomes [math]0 \to H_1(X) \to H_0(U \cap V) = \mathbb{Z}^2[/math]

See .

You couldn't conceptualize your way out of a paper bag. You literally failed to do that. I know exactly what you did wrong, you little shit.

there's a discrepancy between your answers

Whatever you say little boy.
There isn't. The poster is saying that the sequence [math]0 \rightarrow H_1(X)\rightarrow \mathbb{Z}^2[/math] is exact, and I'm saying that this implies [math]H_1(X)=
\mathbb{Z}[/math]. You can also see this from the fact that for path-connected spaces [math]H_k(X)[/math] is the Abelianization of [math]\pi_k(X)[/math], and since [math]\pi_1(S^1) = \mathbb{Z}[/math] and it is itself Abelian, [math]H_1(S^1) = \mathbb{Z}[/math].

forgive me I'm blind and retarded

In English, please

a hole in the ground is topologically equivalent to no hole at all

0->A->Z^2 exact doesn't imply that. stop using so much notation to say dumb things please

the fundamental group reasoning is the only reasonable thing to say and should have been the answer from the get go

It's ok user I forgive you.
Except that it does in the context of singular homology. The degree-reducing boundary map from the Mayer-Vietoris maps [math]\alpha\in\mathbb{Z}[/math] to [math](\alpha,\alpha)\in\mathbb{Z}^2[/math].

you're just throwing tons of unnecessary, hand wavy shit around. the actual reason is you didn't put the next term, H_0 which is Z. it's 0->H_1(X)->Z^2->Z and from there it's clear

>unnecesary
Wrong.

whatever mate, just do all of us a favor and stop importing homology notation from wikipedia or wherever to argue dumb shit on Veeky Forums

it's unbelievable that someone who claims to know homology can think that the number of holes is encoded in H_2. it's not an honest mistake and makes it really hard to believe you know any of this.

Would someone like that admit to having made that mistake? Aren't you the one who jumped the gun and responded without even reading 2 posts down where I've fixed the mistake? Just how recently did you learn this sweetie?

Okay, so for the people who can automatically tell that a straw has one hole, who exactly are people doing the mathematical proofs trying to impress?

So far, I've seen one person actually slip up and say there were zero holes because they did their proof wrong. The defended that proof by asking someone else to conceptualize it.

Are these proof-tards betraying their actual conceptual intelligence or just plain sloppy while trying to impress strangers online?

I'll repeat myself since you can't read. I really, really don't believe it's an honest mistake. I might be wrong, but I don't think so. So, just cut the shit.

I think they're trying to impress strangers online by trying to copy paste shit they don't understand well

>I really, really don't believe it's an honest mistake.
You're wrong again, but believe whatever you want to believe, undergrad.