Great books that aren't discussed on this board

Great books that aren't discussed on this board

>great
>not discussed on Veeky Forums
pick one.

Second this and The Dwarf by the same guy.

For its amount of comfiness there's not enough discussion on The Once And Future King

Anyone familiar with Cela?

Anything by Tom Wolfe

This book is unreadable. Mindless spiritual rambling. Sleepwalkers is better I think.

Anything by modiano or Anthony powell

Is this worth reading in translation? If so, what translation would you recommend? Also, pic related.

nice, this is actually richtig gut

can confirm both of these, Barrabas in particular, and especially if you liked the Jesus and Pilate sections of Master and Margarita.

I didn't like the Thought Gang at all, is this better?

Genau! I might try to re-read it this summer but it is a bit on the long side.

Read it, what do you want to discuss? Also the Sybil is better.

cesare pavese's diary desu

Haven't seen this one here yet, it's a good read and I think a lot of the readers here would identify with the main character.

Il Mestiere di vivere?

>it's a good read
Don't exaggerate.

my diary desu

Stendhal is exceptional, wtf are you on about. La Chartreuse is also great. Soap opera incoming.

kenosha kid?

yep, like reading Veeky Forums if it was good

It's been a while since I read it but I don't remember it being badly written in any way. Granted, I did read it in English and the 18th-century satire and emotional overreactions did get tiring after a while, but the psychological descriptions were pretty good.

Please tell me what you actually liked about in Red and Black.
I didn't say it was bad. It just wasn't exceptional or marking in any way.

its the only book I've read of his, I didn't like the blurb of thought gang so I didn't bother. under the frog is worth the bother.

I'm. I don't think it should be grouped with the great classics, but it is definitely a good book and deserves a high ranking. Nonetheless, it is a book that is rarely discussed on this board.

However, it was one of the first books to come up with a psychological investigation of the main character in like of Dostoevsky and others. Actually, it was published when Dostoevsky was 9 years old so it is actually quite a trend-setter. So it was a rather marking novel for its time that still hasn't lost its power, although others have done it better and the 18th-century France is long gone. It is even better for that sake since it gives a window into the exaggerated motivation of young Parisians.

I always wanted to read Pavese, but never knew where to begin. I'll probably buy this book as it looks interesting.

What I'll recommend to you: "Mars" by Fritz Zorn, it's like a long, angry, edgy (but really good) >tfw greentext by a rich Swiss boy who's going to die from cancer. Real story obviously.

Look Homeward, Angel by Thomas Wolfe

and the Letters of Abelard and Heloise.

>one of the first books to come up with a psychological investigation of the main character
... Isn't that something that starts with Shakespeare and reaches its contemporary form with Sorrows of Young Werther?

It's rarely discussed because this board is hilariously Anglo-centric. Just like all these Italian, Spanish or German classics are completely ignored here (who takes Leopardi, Gracian, or even Musil seriously on this board?).

But in France, Le Rouge et le Noir is considered one of the great classics.

>Shakespeare
>psychological investigation

What? The psychology of Iago is literally "HURRRR DURRRR", and Desdemona has less substance than an anime character.

Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahnuik (guy who wrote Fight Club)

Nigga HB wrote a whole meme book about how Shakespeare explored the human psyche so hard he created consciousness.
I'm not saying HB is right but he had some basis for it. A bad one, but still some, which is still impressive.

Great lesser known book of a famous author

Sorrows of Young Werther is written in a form of letters which is completely different to the format of the french novel. Shakespeare wrote most of his stuff in form of plays (correct me if wrong, not experienced that much in him) which is a bit different to the form of the 18th-century novels. I am not gonna debate on this minuscule issue.

German classics do receive some attention but it's true, Italian and Spanish are rarely mentioned. I think I have never seen a discussion about Gracian although some seem to know about his Art of Worldly Wisdom. Musil is even less known here. I don't know what to expect, I am probably turning into a bittervet on this board, does anyone even read anymore?

one of his weakest

Coriolanus
>anus

no thx boy

thx, will check out.

Agota Kristof's Trilogy of Lies. There have been 6 threads and I started half of them. Easily the best book ever written by a woman and in my top 3. It also manages to avoid all the pitfalls of anything you can compare it to and touch on the deepest shit lurking within you. Made Mishima look like twilight.

Why?

Don't know if you're a film buff, but Aronofsky originally envisioned Black Swan as an adaptation of The Double.

My contribution: The Volcano Lover by Susan Sontag.

Definitely checking it out. Thanks.

Also, my post was borderline baiting because I wanted to see people's reaction. Is it considered good? I liked it a lot, love twists that aren't "ALL ACCORDING TO KEIKAKU" (like you see in most """mind-blowing""" modern works) and the shady writing. But seldom see it mentioned when people talk about Dostoevsky.

i read the art of worldly wisdom and it just seems like decent advice. tell me more about gracian am i missing something