QTDDTOT

Hey ex-bros, Veeky Forums here
dunno whether to post this here or in /adv/ but figured you guys will have my back

This sentence is supposed to be ambiguous apparently, but what is the other meaning??

"old french manuscript describes lost city"
It's for an assignment and I'm ESL.

Also, Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread thread I guess, that thing works here?

Other urls found in this thread:

gen.lib.rus.ec/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Describe can meen mark out like a map or give details on?

Also Veeky Forums. I rolled Dead Souls by Gogol on one of your top 100 charts. Any translation you can recommend?

Is it from France? Is it written in French? Is it written in a dialect that could be described as Old French? Is the city lost to time or just to civilization? Does the manuscript rid the city of scribes, by legal authority or otherwise?

Don't read it. It really isnt that great of an book (nowadays) and a bad start to get into literature with. I read it with some people that were fairly new to books and they all hated it and thought it was boring I agreed.

But if you must: Pevear and Volokhonsky.

I suppose you know what you are talking about. What about Kafka. He has a funny name. Is he a good place to start? I don't want greeks.

What is your opinion about calisthenics, especially the book "convict conditioning"?
I'm pretty new to this and I'd like to hear your opinions.

No, it is an assignment regarding the two different interpretation of a identical constructed sentence going by how two different people with different point of view might interpret it based on its structure, you should not be looking at different synonyms for individual words and meanings.

It's like "Hospital sued by seven foot doctors"
which can imply both seven different podiatrists, or 7'0 high doctors.

But one in my OP confuses me, maybe it is even a mistake, cause it would be more feasible if it was "described" rather than "describes"?

Old French could mean it's an old manuscript from France. Or it's a manuscript written in old french.

Also "describes lost city" could be describing a literal lost city or a city named Lost City.

Kafka is great fun. Some scholars dig their teeth in deep, but that need not be. The Judgment would be a good starting point. It's good and it's short. I don't know anything about the translations though, I only read it in german.

>Old French could mean it's an old manuscript from France. Or it's a manuscript written in old french.
Yes.
>Also "describes lost city" could be describing a literal lost city or a city named Lost City.
No. At a push, the city could be lost in terms of geography, or lost *to* France (in war perhaps) or lost physically; no longer exists.

old french manuscript describes lost city
Veeky Forumsbro here.

Maybe they mean with lost is that the city doesn't exist anymore in a certain manner.

For example, if you compare Paris in the 19th century to the place we call Paris today, it would be seen as a totally different city. Hence, the Paris in that time is lost.

And that's where the words old french manuscript fit in. As it talks about the city in the past and not now?

I disagree with the guy who says Dead Souls is boring (it's fucking funny), and I don't think Gogol is a bad place to start with literature. However, I'd advise you to read his short stories first. That way, you'll get a feel for whether or not you like him, and tbqh, Gogol is one of the greatest short story writers of all time.

The Overcoat in particular is one of the wonders of world literature. Nabokov considered The Overcoat to be the work that established Gogol as the greatest artist Russia had ever produced.

It's available online, and it's a short read. If you like it, check out the rest of Gogol's short stories in the Petersburg Tales. He has written other short stories too, most of them collected under the name of the Ukranian Tales, but these are pretty mediocre, so I'd advise you to steer clear of those initially.

Guy's right though; It's either a map of the city/how to find the city
or
It describes what the city was like, presumably to live in at the time

honestly do not start Russian; reroll.

Guerney is the best
all of this is wrong

[old] french manuscript describes lost city
[old french] manuscript describes lost city

It's not a city that has been lost, it's a city from the Lost series.

Bump

Please, someone start a stack or a bookshelf thread so I can watch it while drinking this morning.

One morning without it is almost unbearable.

I'm a pretty Veeky Forums guy and the basics of calisthenics is that it's great if you have no other options or you have no equipment. It won't make you look like a body builder nor will it get you the gains that you'd get by lifting but it's very healthy. If you're set in the idea of bodyweight lifting and want to get as big as possible with that I'd go for gymnastics as that's your best bet. Otherwise I'd choose a starting lifting course. Convict Conditioning is pretty good but the book really only applies if you cannot get any weight lifting supplies or are in jail. I'd recommend hitting the gym after reading up and getting a routine.

>jacked lacan
lmao

I do a lot of BW workout and would probably recommend "Overcoming Gravity" and "Foundations" to learn how to do programming and how to properly progress. BW will make you very strong, as strong as bb training (barring legs) even, but it is much slower. You learn a new form every progression instead of just smacking more weight on a bar. It helps flexibility, mobility, and joint strength tremendously though.

Old french manuscript can either mean the manuscript is old and french, or that it is written in an old french dialect.

'Lost city' can be the name of a place, like the Forbidden City in china. Or it can literally mean a city that is lost to people. If it is the latter, then lost can mean that the city is lost to time like Babylon, or that the city is lost in a war to the enemy.

Lost can also be a city name like 'London city', but the capitalization suggests otherwise.

It's a solid starting point if you are trying to go the practical strength route, but as the others have said it's best to make the transition to a program when you are ready. Still this teaches you some solid principles so I say go for it.

Also /fit.
Want to read the stranger. Since I have to read a translated version. Should I read it in english or german?
Plus please laugh at my miserable collection

>Also, Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread thread I guess, that thing works here?

Alright. In the sticky there is a #bookz channel listed for finding ebooks. I assume that's an IRC channel, but what server is this on? How do I connect to it?

It's shit, lots of broscience bullshit.

>tfw you're such a small board that any small interest from other boards is like a massive raid that leaves you changed for months

well, at least that way Veeky Forums doesn't get stale I guess

>Jacked Lacan2
can you post Jacked Lacan1 aswell?

This please

Why do QTDDTOT threads don't work on /lit?
You must help us, dumb fitizens

What translation of We by Yevgeny Zamyatin is best?

Sorry, I meant to ask 'Which English translation of We by Yevgeny Zamyatin is best?'

What should i write my thesis on?

probably a word processor?

>Should I read it in english or german?
Both are germanic languages so it doesn't really matter. Read in you mother tongue.

Collection is not too bad, have you read all of the 50 short stories? Joyce, Hemmingway Chekhov and Poe are among the masters of the genre.

I'm phone posting right now, but to any Veeky Forums friends: search for 'Veeky Forums starter kit'.
Some make fun of it as high school literature, but it mostly contains novels that are relatively short, entertaining, have easy-to-grasp themes and don't have obtuse prose. But unlike, say, YA or genre fiction, they are actually good.
If you haven't read much before, jumping straight into Pynchon or some other memer is a pretty bad idea; reading something you find dull and difficult is not very fun nor is it particularly useful. Think of someone who's never lifted before stacking as much weight as he can and then trying to deadlift (though I should point out that more difficult doesn't always mean better; in fact there are many books that are both simple and great as there are those that are difficult and bad).

Things They Carried is also a very good short story collection. Personally I’ve always found English short story writers rather dull: I enjoyed O’Connor and—to some extent—Runyon, but only Joyce has truly excelled at it. Are there any you presume I’ve neglected?

Agreed about Joyce, and would put Hemingway up there with him at his best. Read The Snows of Kilimanjaro if you haven't already.
I read mostly in Spanish and Catalan so Cortázar, Espriu, Borges are my recs, what about your language?

For some reason I still haven't read Borges.
I’m a Finn, so the number of translated short writes is smaller than the number of good writers. Still I’d recommend Mika Waltari’s Moonscape, which I found to be his best short story/novella; Juhani Aho was a master of the realist style (particularly of peasants and nature) and hugely influential on later writers, though I prefer his very short unfinished works, Fitxes in Catalonian. Antti Hyry’s ability to transform ordinary into mystical is quite remarkable and Pentti Haanpää is known as the best Finnish short story writer—although I haven't got around to read him—but sadly neither of the two appears to be translated.
There's also a large number of comedy writers.

I am halfway through it. I must say the two that stuck in my mind are "The Masque of the Red Death" by Poe and "The Saint" by V.S. Pritchett.
But all of them have their own charme.
Recommendations for other short story collections? The change of the author with every new story is pretty exciting

This

Are there any books exploring the last few years of Wilhelm II's life? Historical fiction is fine.

I suppose we assume that due to the fact this board loves to dissect topics that there would be no QTDDTOT threads on Veeky Forums since most of it should be fair game. On Veeky Forums there are threads with questions in which the sticky itself would provide the answer. I suppose people might find poring through the information somehow intimidating so they just make a thread.

bump

Should I read multiple books at once or one at a time?

The channel is pretty shit in my opinion.
Use gen.lib.rus.ec/ its faster and easier to find stuff.

what should i name my cat

Gaius Musonius Rufus

i have a lot of reading to do this quarter of school. all historical books. i was able to get through the first week of it barely even though this week is the lightest the load will be. how can i keep up with the reading more effectively. thanks for any help

I know it has been pointed out already but I am compelled to say that all this is objectively wrong and stupid. This guy is correct

vim

Nero.

bloomberg

I'm reading machiavelli's "the prince". Where do I go from there?

Interested in political theory, governance, social order, military strategy

Need recommendations on texts concerning:
- Native American ritual practices and belief systems (the broader the better here)
- Southeast Asian traditional folklore, esp. In the Koreas

And
- historically accurate reference material on the various Cold War Proxy theatres. The more in-depth the better.
Don't think there's a better place to ask, maybe /k/ on that last one