one score and seven years
the north
"A social history of England" -Asa Briggs

Always intrigued by history treatises.

...Rereading, right?
>18
>Finally going through Shakespeare because to date I was too lazy
>It's really good but the syntax and vocab fuck me up
No seriously Notes From the Underground was half ripped out of All's Well that Ends Well I'm fucking sure.

>21
>The Gulag Archipelago

Man, how did Russia continue to pump out fucking classics like this, while America's last great author died in '73?

Never re-read, there is too much content out there to waste my time doing it

Get The Complete Works of William Shakespeare in Plain and Simple English (BookCaps) [William Shakespeare].epub

It has the original text, and all the lines but the most simple ones are translated to modern english bellow.

Salinger died in 2010.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

7/10

It's faster to take a moment and figure shit out than to reread a "translation" so thanks but no thanks.

Then congratulations on having the biggest vocabulary ever and not needing a dictionary to read Shakespeare.

I read all of Shakespeare like 15 years ago, but I wish I had that epub back then.

Oh, by the way, the BBC adaptations from the 70s/80s are fantastic, and the one torrent floating around comes with english hardsubs, so I highly recommend them.

I also read shakespeare without a translation and don`t think being verbose has much to do with being able to understand the works. Brought up with a parent who is a PhD Shakespeare Studies, EME was pretty standard in the household. Reading shakespeare is as easy as reading a modern text using context clues.

Ghost on the Throne (Wars following Alexander the Greats death)

Pretty interesting, enjoying myself. I`m moving through histories and biographies currently to better give myself a context for the other works I want to read.

United States
The Brothers Karamazov (after recommendation by Jordan Peterson)

Pretty good. Translated. Easy. Really puts you in the place.

Florida
The Devil in the White City, though I'm kinda in the beginning of The Ascent of Man too

I read a good portion of white city but never finished so I'm rereading it, but I love it. Ascent is alright but I've got it on a kindle and I don't think I'll be able to enjoy it on that platform.

>too old (more than 30)
>France
>"La Religione del mio tempo" by Pasolini, so far so good in spite of my perfectible Italian

>14
>Oakland
>George Orwell: A Collection of Essays; hella good. I can't believe it's taken me this long to read Orwell, but I relate to him so much. "Shooting an Elephant," "Politics & the English Language," and "Why I Write" are god-tier.

>21
>Italy
>The Geneaology of Morals

Damn, I see why people despise so much people in their 20s who read Nietzsche: I unironically feel enlightened, almost esctatic. The power that these writings have excerted on my personality is close to what actual brainwashing could feel like.
Also reading them in German is blissful, never in my life I have been drawned so much from a writing style.

>14

You mean 24?

MODS!!!!!

>19
>Bavaria
>Steppenwolf, top

Scandinavia
Plato's Republic
It's alright but Socrates is a huge faggot.

United States
The Case for Christ

Holy fuck it's bad.

American Gods - (yes I know)
UK

No

Fuck off you underage faggots

Lunchbag
The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea

I was not expecting it to get more fucked up than the first chapter. I was wrong. It speaks to me.

>23
>Chile
>The Savage Detectives
I somewhat like it

34, Michigan, Cain by Jose Saramago, 7/10

Southwest USA
Sons & Lovers by D.H. Lawrence
I am enjoying it. It is my first real reading of Lawrence before that I have only read his criticism of American literature.

Connecticut
Chronic City, Lethem.
It's pretty funny.

biloxi, ms
the chronicles of narnia. i never read it as a child so i'm reading it now. it's okay.

>20
>Colorado
>Les Miserables and Napolean: A life

I can't even imagine what you're gonna be like in 4 years. it scares me.

What do you mean?

The Hobbit by Tolkien

This is my first time reading Tolkien and I'm enjoying it for the most part. His narration throughout the story is charming, especially when he's developing characters. The description of the scenery is long-winded, however. I understand this is part of world-building but I find a lot of the prose when he's describing nature to be basic. But also I have to understand that this was originally written to be a children's book. I definitely enjoy the book enough to read Fellowship of the Ring.

>Biloxi

John Kennedy Toole killed himself in Biloxi, since then I hate Biloxi

The two are only vaguely similar. You have to read LotR like you'd read collected scrolls of an ancient saga with a focus on the myth and linguistic nuances to get the most out of it. Fellowship is great, but it gets heavy after that.

>22
>Austria
>Lyrical Ballads by Wordsworth and Coleridge
Great so far desu

*so many people
*exerted
*drawn

>hella good
lol
life is hella strange

he didn't watch out for those biloxi blues

how far are you into it? i'm also biloxi and just read "the magician's nephew." the song that created the world really appealed to my alt-christian life, desu

>19
>Kentucky, US
>Franz Kafka's "The Trial." I'm enjoying it so far, especially since I already hate bureaucracy with a fiery passion.

Texas
This Side of Paradise
I like it

>20
>Factótum by Bukowski and A Arte de Causar Efeito sem Causa by Lourenço Mutarelli.
>Yep, enjoying. Mutarelli is the symbolic and pessimist latin version of Bukowski. Love his writtings.

I started browsing Veeky Forums when I was 15, so I'll give you an advice: don't trust Veeky Forums too much. It is you who creates yourself, not a group of strangers on the internet.
Enjoy your ban.

>20
>Scotland
>The Trial
its pretty unique, im really enjoying the idea of a dystopian bureaucracy, the idea of social constructs hampering peoples lives to such a degree and so obvious a fashion is interesting and seeing logical arguments put forth against these constructs only to be rebuffed by the system due to the nature of the system itself as an inadvertent or intentional defensive mechanism is great especially when written so well.
Any recommendations on what to read next, or just more Kafka?

Kek forgot my country. Brazil.

>Anons get triggered when underage show up here
>Literally everyone browsed this hellhole since their teens.

>not reading the thread
well fuck me then

>23
>France
>Everyman Dies Alone by Hans Fallada
>Bretty gud :D

>20
>Denmark
>Das Kapital
>Looks dry at first glance but is actually quite fun to read once you get started.

Sounds like I'd enjoy LOTR more then. I'm honestly not a huge fan of fantasy but I heard nothing but praise for the series from all types of readers.

Nobody's actually triggered, it's ironic.

>19
>New Hampshire, US
>Herodotus' Histories

I'm reading the penguin classics edition and loving it so far. The introduction was great and the notes are really helpful. Herodotus is such an interesting character and I'm surprised that you guys rarely discuss his work considering how much you all love Homer. I didn't expect it to be so funny; I've had a few chuckles and I'm only near the end of book one.

Leuven
Phenomenology of Spirit.
Absolutely brilliant and surprisingly decipherable.

I want to read Hegel as well. Is there something I have to read before?

>21
>AZ
>Satantango
I thought at first that I wouldn't like the writing style but I've turned around for the most part and like it in general

anybody know if the movie is better?

Tehran, Iran
The Martian by Andy Weir
I love it when in sci-fi books are scientifically accurate

>24
>Brooklyn
>Dune

Feel like I could be making better use of my time. I'm gonna read something by Hemingway next probably. Best starting point? I thought I saw a flowchart with the Sun Also Rises.

>22
>US
>Libra - Don Delillo
My second delillo book. the prose is immaculate. Delillo also jam packs his books with all kinds of different shit to talk about I feel like I have to read it a second time once I'm done

what part of CO? I'm in the Springs

Edinburgh
Cours de linguistique générale - Ferdinand de Saussure
Interesting to read the absolute basis of the field.

Sorry for the late response.
I wouldn't say that there are works that you HAVE to read before reading the Phenomenology. Mister Hegel will be (mostly implicitly) referencing a lot to previous thinkers, so having solid knowledge of the history of philosophy is needed to figure out what the hell he's on about. However, since he's basically respondig to every philsophical idea ever, it's not necessary to be on top of all these references. If anything, brush up your Kant.
At some point you just have to jump into the hermeneutical circle. The same applies for his own work btw. It isn't even evident where to start in the Phenomenology itself. You won't get too much out of the preface on first reading, but without it you'll have a hard time seeing where the whole project is heading later on.

In short: don't worry too much about prerequisite reading and focus on rereading passages of the Phenomenology itself.

You might find this post of mine in a different thread helpful

MO
Under the pyramids
Lovecraft is pretty good

>20
>New York (not NYC)
>The Autobiography of Malcom X

it's a-good!

It's the only thing of its kind and the best fantasy on the market, but it's like reading a doctorate linguistics project on a translation of myth and history. I liked the Hobbit more on a personal level as I'm into folklore, but LotR is a different level that is better overall. The individual bits and pieces can be shit but the meta level of the whole thing is beyond reproach.

Is that the one he ghostwrote for Harry Houdini?

Dune is great if you've ever studied occult mysticism. Get spiritual and try again or something.

or if you just have a hard on for philosopher kings like me

Not ghost written but more based on a story Houdini had coming back from Egypt

Kafka - The Trial
It's nothing special so far

Haven't read the book, but the movie is very good. If you want to get into Tarr, however, Werckmeister Harmonies (also Krasznohorkai adaptation) is just as good while not as excruciatingly long.

Ireland
Les Miserables

Im only 170 pages in. The characters are good but atm Hugo is referencing back to Greek/Roman scholars incessantly. Thats the only drawback so far, its makes pages laborious to read.

>22
>DC
>The Idiot

Just started.

>30
>UK
>Mason & Dixon
love it

>21
>Chicago
>Reflections on the Revolutions in France by Edmund Burke

I am really enjoying it

No wonder this board is such a shit show. We're all in our early 20's and we think we know fucking everything because we read good books.

Madison
La Societe Du Spectacle

Each thesis gets me more and more spooked

Veeky Forums didn't exist when I was a teenager.

>implying I'm not actually triggered by blatant violations of the rules

I hope he got banned for 4 years.

Last period Debord (starting with "In girum imus nocte"...) is best Debord, though.

just started spectacle

afaik Baudrillard made sure Situationalists would have no window for emancipation

Montreal
Cultural Literacy by E. D. Hirsch

>In the penal colony
In case you need more Kafka

Nah bud, I'm still here

How royalist/anti revolution is he? or is it a fair unbiased analysis?

Texas
Gravity's Rainbow

I'm liking it a lot but am currently between homes and am lacking the energy to read it.

I mean The old man and the sea is so short you could start with that to see Hemingways style and then work back to it after reading his other novels.

Read Brave New World and 1984 back to back, does anybody on this board think 1984 is the superior novel and if so, why? It just seemed so one note to me in comparison. Don't get me wrong I understand it's significance, and it was written in a time where it's dystopia seemed plausible (in the distant future), but reading it in this day and age it just kinda seems hokey

Is there a crash course on occult mysticism?

I actually read for whom the bell tolls and the sun also rises when I was like 14, but I was too young for Hemingway. I think I'll start with old man

1984 is really good, but when you read it and BNW together it's impossible to appreciate it because Huxley was just so much more accurate with predicting what the future would be like. 1984 just seems like paranoia... BNW is just accurate.

Situationnists other than Debord have little importance (IMO), he was the leading man for a reason.

Honestly, a book like "Commentaires sur la société du spectacle" (1988) is much more accessible: less convoluted, less hazy, less dogmatic.

But people prefer the hard version because they don't really understand it, so they can go full "omg so deep XD".

I also must say "La Société du spectacle" contains essential aphorisms.

But the problem is: most people come with pre-conceived ideas, read these aphorisms, stop reading immediately after the first chapter, and think they're now redpilled about the media (because they think "the spectacle = what's on TV lol").

I found that the majority of people who name-drop Debord in conversations have zero understanding of the actual theory.

Agreed, I wanna do commentaries after reading this labyrinth. Given context it makes sense for his debut to be so mystic and provocative, but the value of his work is difficult to extrapolate.

What are we missing then? The Spectacle is just a way to describe complete division of images and life in post-marxist society. Anticipation of Baudrillards third order simulacra imo

Brazil
Gardens of the Moon, 150 pages in and liking it so far