Would you read your friend's novel? None of my friends even read mine...

Would you read your friend's novel? None of my friends even read mine. I wonder if I should end those so-called friendships.

Anybody who isn't a total asshole would at least try to read a book their friend wrote, your friends suck balls

post sum i wanna have fun

I have a few friends who write and I always read their work

Hell no. There's no way out: a friend's writing is always fucking terrible, and you either have to lie through your teeth or try to be honest and end the friendship. Unpublished author egos are insane. I tried it once or twice, but gave up fast. If you get published, then I might read it.

I would never read my friends writings and I would never let them read mine. Writings and friends must be kept separate.

Also, I have no friends.

I, too, have no friends.

Alos, I have no writings.

>friends

My friends don't know I'm a self-published author yet. I can't wait to see their reaction when I tell them I wrote 5 books, soon to be 6. By the time I see them again I might just be up above a dozen. Also, yes, what the fuck is up with that pic? But hey, give me enough booze and I dare say I'd fuck her even though she's probably nearing 3x my age. I don't have particularly high standards, in fact I'm a chubby chaser.

I don't even want to know how you came by that photograph.

Are you published? How long is it? Have they read fragments, at least?

I will, when they finish it.

My friend read mine and liked it.

tmi, dude, t m i

Did it for you, babe.

My friends don't read

Working class life, lad.

If it was published yeah definitely but if it wasnt i dunno.. i'd try

>self-published

>Self-published
>Already making money
>$40 between March 13-31
>Averages out to be over $750 per year
>Only been self-published for 5.5 months
>Still writing, still promoting, will continue to increase sales/income
But sure, keep thinking that self-publishing is a meme, Veeky Forums. After all, if it were around 2009 or earlier, maybe you'd be right.

>Anybody who isn't a total asshole would at least try to read a book their friend wrote

Balls. If it's a typical first novel then it's probably 500 pages long and utter shit. Expecting your friends to read it is an unfair imposition.

If writers valued their friends, they'd respect their literary tastes. And if they had any self-esteem, they wouldn't get all butt-hurt when someone declines to read their precious work.

>$40
Oh, my sides!

So assuming you do make $750 this year ... what did you earn per hour?

Not much, and though if I maintain it I would make about $750+ a year, I don't expect to maintain it. I will continue writing and self-publishing, continue to do promotions to get a larger readerbase, continue to expand the series I've just started to develop, and so I anticipate making over $60 in the month of April, likely over $70 even. By the time May starts I will have finished the third in the series and either be working no a fourth or working on another book entirely, potentially even already almost finished by the time May 1st arrives.

I will continue writing, improving, and self-publishing. So in theory I will continue to slowly but surely increase my monthly income. But hey, even if I never make more than $750 a year, you know how much it costs me to write and self-publish? Nothing. You know how much I hate writing? I don't, I love it, in fact I'd say I enjoy writing just about as much as I enjoy videogames. I don't even play videogames anymore; all that time is spent on writing now, and I love it. So I'm having fun, it's not costing me anything, and it's earning me money. At this rate it will pay a full month's rent every year plus earn me a respectable bit of spending money, which is needless to say a very welcome addition to anyone's income.

There is also the pride and warm fuzzy feelings I get when complete strangers compliment my work with 4-5 star reviews, of which I've gotten 4, and it makes up the majority of the reviews/ratings I've gotten thus far. You should try self-publishing sometime. As you already probably know it's very easy, all you really need to provide is banking information so that you can get paid and so that it also shows up in your taxes. Hiring an editor is quite expensive though, so ideally you'd have a really good grasp of the English language, can do your own editing to make sure everything is grammatically sound, and thus self-publish your work absolutely for free. Whatever genre you like, Hell you can try making it some sort of philosophical thing to make you feel smarter than you actually are, or just write a book that simply says "BOI PUSSY" in huge Comic Sans font on every single page, then laugh your ass off every time someone is stupid enough to buy it without actually taking advantage of the 'Look Inside' feature on Amazon. Have fun!

I would treat it the same way I treat books by authors who I don't know personally. I would give it a shot and if it sucked I would stop reading it, if it was good I would keep going. But I'm lucky I guess. I've read three books written by people I knew, and 1.5 of them were good.

It's really not that bad (as long as you're not wasting money and growing each year).

Boi Pucci
Ftfy

Also do you have an editor?

Nope, I don't have an editor; don't have enough money to have one. I do my own editing to make sure the grammar and sentence structure is good. Maybe a mistake or two might slip past me but even in traditionally published novels that have gone through professional editors, typos sometimes slip past. Hell, I wrote a book printed in the 80s, a large-print edition of Sharpe's Sword I think it was, and it was FULL of grammatical errors! Must have been dozens of pages with little marks made by various readers over the past probably 30 years who spotted mistakes, and even I found some mistakes that apparently others hadn't spotted or didn't bother pointing out. It was so prominent that at some point someone thought they were spelling 'Portuguese' wrong, thinking there was only one u instead of two; 'Portugese', or something like that, but eventually he realized he was wrong and stopped pointing it out. That or he stopped reading, thinking that they had it misspelt throughout the book, when in fact it was spelt correctly.

Some people have this view in which anyone who doesn't get their work professionally edited shouldn't self-publish. Well hiring an editor isn't cheap, it can easily cost hundreds or even over a thousand dollars. So people without that much disposable income shouldn't be allowed to write books and self-publish them? Nonsense. I do my own editing and I think I do a pretty good job. Once I've got the money I'd like to have a professional editor check over my first book, and I'll hear him out of what he thinks, but by that point I will be well over a dozen books in, probably over two dozen books, and wouldn't want to alter my first book. Yeah I might cringe at looking back on it and reading it, people even mention that on Youtube where if they look back at their first videos they feel awful at how 'low quality' it was, but it was all they knew to do at the time. Still, it'll be a part of my personal history by then, so I'd want to keep it intact.

That's my view on the matter anyways. Ideally self-published authors could get their stuff to go through an editor, but it's not always the case, and I don't think that should stop someone from trying. Thankfully, in my case, I've got a pretty good grasp on the English language so I can more or less do my own editing. I figure the one area that maybe an editor would criticize me for is story arc, and maybe commenting on the bits of smut I've got sprinkled here and there. Ultimately though, I think it just goes along with my personal style, it's what I'm into.

Just had some strong coffee, sorry for the rambling/ranting.