Will we ever meet another spacefaring species...

Will we ever meet another spacefaring species? Or is faster-than-light speed simply impossible and we're simply doomed to go extinct on this planet, eventually?

Even ancient savage niggers were able to cross the Pacific ocean without any fancy technology.

I think we'll encounter aliens some day. My personal explanation for the Fermi paradox is that the universe simple isn't that old, and it was only relatively recently that planets had formed and cooled enough for life to evolve, and evolution itself takes an extremely long time to randomly produce a highly intelligent species like humans. Even if life is plentiful in the universe, humans could very well be some of the most advanced lifeforms in the entire universe. And even if there are much more advanced, FTL capable aliens, they would probably end up being extremely far away from us if we assume random distribution, so even if they're actively looking for other life it would take a really long time to get around to randomly checking this specific hunk of rock orbiting this specific star in this specific galaxy in this specific cluster etc. This is total "needle in a haystack" territory even if they're highly advanced.

Crossing a thousand miles of ocean on a planet with limited surface area is not the same as crossing billions of miles of literal barren emptiness in the vain hope of bumping into something else in an infinitely expanding 3D plain.

You want to go beyond Local Group?

I want to go everywhere.

So now you complain that the galaxy is not enough already? That was fast.

Didn't you literally just compare traversing oceans to traversing solar systems?

If you try to cross the Pacific ocean on a hunk of wood, you won't get anywhere and most likely die.

Realistically we'll keep falling for the mars meme for a hundred years. Only after the 3rd attempt at a colony fails will we decide that a good sized lunar colony (because its close enough) and many cislunar O'NIEL CYCLINDERS are the true way forward

>infinitely expanding 3D plain.
thats probably why light speeds lightnspeed
to surpass light speed is to go faster than the universes expansion

universe expands faster than light, brainlet

thanks for further proving my reasoning.
this confirms that light speed is the limit it is because of universe expansion

For me it's the Stanford Torus.
But if you can build sustainable orbital stations, that would be your beach head to planetary colonization. You'd need a few floating in the asteroid belt to exploit the resources there, and mars is on the way.
If you've gotten good enough at building a self contained, long term environment in space, is it much harder to make domed or subterranean cites on another planet? Assume for the sake of argument that we've negated the major prohibitive logistical costs of getting the material there.

Hey, that's how the Polynesians did it.

how? im not arguing with you but how could we observe that if our observations are limited to light speed

Advanced technology just speeds up the process of destroying ourselves. Once any species evolves enough intelligence to utilize fire, its eventual self-destruction is pretty much inevitable.

High intelligence does not necessitate self-destructive or socially aggressive tendencies. Bonobos are considered one of the most intelligent species on Earth next to humans, and they're very much pacifistic towards members of their own species.

I would think so, but not in our lifetimes.

It won't happen in anybody's lifetime if we all die from nuclear war and/or extreme climate change.