So... you people do know that reading the stuff you read doesn't make you special, right?

so... you people do know that reading the stuff you read doesn't make you special, right?

Ya, just like whatever you like to do doesn't make you special. What's the point of this thread?

My mom says I'm special.

I got to take a special bus to school that the other kids weren't allowed to ride on.

Of course. It is my intellect that makes me special.

Obviously I read for entertainment like watching TV.

congratulations
you've attained knowledge in an era where knowledge is so easily attained via the internet

w0w so special

Intellect isn't knowledge, lass.

ever helped another human being before? or have you just sat down in a room looking at words on paper?

>intellect = knowledge

How embarrassing. Delete your post.

>Intellect
what is intellect then, oh great wise one?

can you namedrop all the great philosophers in conversation? Oh, and let me guess, you can pontificate on the recurring motifs of tens and transfiguration in Gravity's Rainbow?

these pseuds actually believe that intellect can't be improved via accumulation of datum via education...

are you fags from /pol/ or something? lmao

Face it, you nerds are never gonna really accomplish anything worth anything to anybody. You just look at your pretty little words, take hold of it because it makes you feel special to read your giant tomes, because everyone on this planet believes that they're interesting/special/intelligent because they're the only ones tuned into the immense maelstrom of information that goes on inside everyone's brain at every second...

You idiots lack any other skill besides being able to read at a twelfth grade level, so you put all your chips into that avenue of yourselves to make believe you're not just a waste.

Now this is desperation. Let me introduce you to basic logic: "=" equals sign denotes something we like to call "logical equality".
I recommend further study.

>doesn't even touch on what's being said
>derails with argument over semantics in which he references a mathematical construct within formal logic that has nothing to do with anything

ah the usual pedantic bs I'd expect from this board

how's being 18 treating ya? find Wittgenstein all by yourself without DFW's help?

why so salty my boi
I guess it hurts to be wrong :^)

Because you're a little self-important fucker who's Dunning-Kruger infested personalty is gonna embarrass you 10 years from now...

At least I have my intellect. All you have is impotent rage.

This is precisely why I'm special.

only on Veeky Forums does this b8 get met with such fervent, smarmy autism

>these pseuds actually believe that intellect can't be improved via accumulation of datum via education...
Nobody suggested that. Just said that knowledge isn't the same thing as intellect. One feeds the other.

Where's your intellect gonna take you past the age of 24, my man?

lmao

Ya? Are you alright user?

Are you kidding me? That is the prime of the life for any intellectual.
It is the unwashed masses that despair at the loss of their youthful bodies, when the intellectual is creating their Magnum Opus.

fuck no i'm not alright
I HAVE TO DEAL WITH 20 YEAR OLDS EVERY GODDAMN DAY IN MY INTRO CLASS. THEY ALL SAY MEME AND LAUGH, MAKE JOKES ABOUT INFINITE JEST AND LAUGH, NAME DROP PYNCHON, DELILLO, JOYCE THEN SPEW OBVIOUS THINGS ABOUT MODERN LIFE and I'VE BEEN TOLD THEY COME TO THIS BOARD.

STOP IT
STOP IT
STOP TAKING LIFE SO FUCKING SERIOUSLY, YOU FUCKING LITERATURE BABIES

you fucking hypocrite you got this idea from a book

yeah buddy... you're gonna totally create your Magnum Opus. Then all the pretty people in high school who doubted you, who scoffed at your autistic social media updates, will understand your true genius.

No, for the intellectual the mere act of creation is fulfillment in itself. I can see you don't understand genius.

Really great thread, OP.

do you understand how the world works? do you understand what makes people want to be ambitious?

I'm genuinely concerned you're confusing your autism/lack of empathy with others with the nifty marketing tool of "genius."

Have you ever spoken these words out loud in an academic setting before?

>The mere act of getting into the boat was fulfillment in it of itself, said the man who was in a sinking vessel...

>let's make vast, demeaning generalizations about anonymous users I know nothing of!!

Enthralling narrative, chap.

Nevertheless, you seem to underestimate the average man's stupidity. Take any big European country (the ones with 60 million people or more), and you'll have:

>60 million people
>only 1 million who read "serious" newspapers
>only 500,000 who read "serious" books very casually
>only 10,000 cultured readers of books

And that's a generous estimate (just see the actual sales of newspapers and books: that's not a lot). The rest is just an immense uncultured mass who's also dumb as fuck, for a large part.

We're talking about a developed country, though. Now take any third world hellhole, and your average moron from Yurop seems like a fine genius in comparison.

So, yes, it is safe to assume the average Veeky Forums user is more intelligent than your first-world redneck that never reads anything because he's too lazy and dumb, and, for obvious reasons, even more intelligent than Mahamadou Ngolo Pongo from the African savannah.

>let's make vast, demeaning generalizations about anonymous users I know nothing of!!
>Nevertheless, you seem to underestimate the average man's stupidity
>The rest is just an immense uncultured mass who's also dumb as fuck, for a large part.

Are you self-aware at all? Do you not see the hypocrisy there? Are you seriously judging people's intelligence on how much make-pretend they take part in? What about the ones who do nothing but operate computer systems, who read journals, data sheets, or ER doctors who work 16 hour long shifts, go home, make dinner, sleep, then go back at it again?

It's real nice that you feel you're better than an illiterate African though, user. Pat yourself on the back. Grow up and invite the rest of the world in, idiot.

Not him, but the ambition of common people (including your average professional writer) and the ambition of a serious, high-quality author is not the same thing.

The former want to make money, the latter wants to make something truly excellent for the sake of it. Hence your rant about obtaining recognition from "the pretty people in high school who doubted you" is off-topic.

>claims to understand how the mind of a genius works

it's not like they're people to, people who lie about their intentions for a more respectful view to be laid upon them.
Dare, I say.. where are all these genius works by geniuses who only wanted to create now? Were they really genius no one caught on and praised them throughout the years?

Can you delete your post and rewrite it again
it's a mess

no
i have wine and i dont give a fuck what you think, you loser

>he's an alcoholic

hehe, I wonder who's the real loser...

I feel special when I jerk off to hentai and imagine the intimacy between me and the girl

so... you're "into" the literary lifestyle, but you're not into alcohol.

lmao

>Are you self-aware at all? Do you not see the hypocrisy there?
Generalizations are excellent, the problem is that your generalizations were wrong because they're not based on facts.

You assume that the average Veeky Forums user is as dumb as the average man. But the fact is that the average Veeky Forums user knows several languages, read books, is college-educated and Internet-savvy... That's not the case for the average normie, let alone the average third-worlder.

>Are you seriously judging people's intelligence on how much make-pretend they take part in?
"Huh? huh?"

>What about the ones who do nothing but operate computer systems, who read journals, data sheets, or ER doctors who work 16 hour long shifts, go home, make dinner, sleep, then go back at it again?
They can be intelligent (although the really intelligent people are statistically rare, and fewer than the number of engineers, professors, doctors...), and certainly not less intelligent as the average Veeky Forumsizen.

However, engineers and doctors are not representative of the common man. You seem to live in a world where everyone is literate, everyone reads books, everyone is some kind of doctor, etc. So you're easily demeaning, since you don't know much worse than that. But you're wrong. The world is full of fucking morons. However, they're generally not on Veeky Forums.

And intelligence is not culture--ultimately we're talking about culture here (hence my rapidly estimations about the number of people who read). Reading "advanced" books does not make you intelligent, because you need to be somewhat intelligent in the first place to read them. But it does make you "special" indeed.

Why? Because there's not a lot of people in the world who do read Plotinus, Rebatet, or Cecco Angiolieri. You're part of an extremely tiny part of mankind (the cultured part of mankind) if you read them. You're intelligent... maybe not extraordinarily intelligent... but you're intelligent AND cultured. That's rare and that's special.

>It's real nice that you feel you're better than an illiterate African though, user. Pat yourself on the back
That's just the way things are. That's the statistical reality. An enormous part of mankind is poor, quite dumb, and uneducated. I'm better than that. You're better than that. Probably everyone who reads this message is better than that. So you can't tell us we're just like "everyone on this planet", while being assblasted when I remind you that the average man on this planet is an uncultured third-worlder who doesn't even speak English and owns almost nothing. You can't tell us we're no better than them. For the world is not your safe space full of educated, nice, cultured, rich people. Sorry and goodbye.

I unironically love this cover. It makes me slightly happy every time I see it

how much autism do you have to type this?
>the average Veeky Forums user knows several languages, read books, is college-educated and Internet-savvy.

AHAHAHHAAHAHAH

Serious writer that's mostly interested in his craft =/= genius.

It's not even guaranteed that serious writers is a good writer. Look at all these epic failures on Veeky Forums poetry threads: they really mean well, they're not here for power or money, they take their craft seriously... but it's still terrible.

Sad!

It's true though. A good half Veeky Forums users are not Anglo. So they speak their mother tongue + English, at least.

And mostly everyone here is/was in college.

Do people read books on Veeky Forums though? That's the controversial point.

People don't even read.

Most only have the attention span of 58 second NowThis facebook videos, can't even watch something 10+ minutes long.

Others buy books to show them off on social media - never actually read them.

The rest who do read usually just read for mental masturbation, at a highschool level of reading for entertainment (Tom Clancy, Dan Brown, etc)

Only a small percentage take the time to read classics and read them critiqually.