Why is there only 1 dimension of time and 3 of space? why not 2 of time and 2 of space? or 3 of time and 1 of space?

why is there only 1 dimension of time and 3 of space? why not 2 of time and 2 of space? or 3 of time and 1 of space?

Other urls found in this thread:

space.mit.edu/home/tegmark/dimensions.pdf
quora.com/If-there-are-3-physical-space-dimensions-why-arent-there-3-time-dimensions
astronomy.ohio-state.edu/~pogge/Ast162/Unit5/gps.html
youtube.com/watch?v=vrqmMoI0wks
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

There are actually 3 dimensions of time, you just haven't achieved the necessary christ consciousness to perceive that you are moving through them.

>christ consciousness

How do you know then?

We aren't sure, but it might just be the anthropic principle. Life just couldn't evolve in a universe in a universe with any other amount of dimensions, so of course we live in a 1 3 universe.

If there was only one dimension of time, how could we have a time cube?

Jesus Christ this thread

because of OP's argument, symmetry demands 3 time dimensions. we know that all we see is a projection of the higher dimensions of time because of time loops.

time loops are when you sit in a library for am undetermined amount of time, not sure what day it is. then you meat a beautiful black haired curly woman. you go smoke a joint on the fire satires and you flow into a conversation. but then you are in the library again, not knwing what day it is or if you ever meat a woman. just pick up another book, crack open a brand new pile of papers and dig in.

can someone explain that image to me thanks

this image just shows the bias of the person who created it. 2 spatial dimensions seems possible at least, if you look at cellular automata for example.

>zero time dimensions
>unpredictable
Lol

i didn't even think of that. holy shit man thanks.

was this just the author joshing us?

fuck off Otis

Here's the original paper if you all are interested: space.mit.edu/home/tegmark/dimensions.pdf

can someone give a tldr

The delineations are largely artificial and they affect one another. Movement in any of the three space-like dimensions, for instance, affect the fourth time-like dimension. Further, if you warp the space-like dimensions enough, they become time-like, and visa versa (albeit that involves crossing an event horizon).

Rather than thinking of them as separate dimensions, it's more objective to think of space-time as a single mesh, and the separation as a mathematical artifact. Space and time are ultimately not separable.

>Space and time are ultimately not separable.
is that provable?

Depends what exactly you mean by provable.
The theory of special relativity (which states that space and time are inseparable) has been tested numerous, numerous times, and so far has been found to give correct results in all relevant cases. So I would consider it proven.

Depends what exactly you mean by provable.
The theory of special relativity (which states that space and time are inseparable) has been tested numerous, numerous times, and so far has been found to give correct results in all relevant cases. So I'd consider it basically proven.

According to my own retarded-ass hypothesis
2D: Being able to fast forward and rewind time
3D: Being able to jump to a specific point in time

YOU WERE LITERALLY GIVEN A BRIGHTLY COLORED DIAGRAM! YOU CAN'T GIVE A QUICKER RUN DOWN THAN THAT!

samefagging this hard

Because this universe has only one God, in other universes with multiple Gods, there are as many dimensions of time.

You got me.
quora.com/If-there-are-3-physical-space-dimensions-why-arent-there-3-time-dimensions

could consciousness possibly be considered a 'dimension' because according to quantum physics for something to exist it must be observed?

*sigh* That's not what observed means in this case, it just means to interact. Hollywood pop-sci crap just creates fun misnomers left and right.

If your GPS works, yes:
astronomy.ohio-state.edu/~pogge/Ast162/Unit5/gps.html

Actually, it's about the most thoroughly proven theory around, accurate to at least 16 digits. Still, if/when we get quantum gravitational theory worked up, while the effects will still be there, the mechanics behind them might be better understood.

PBS pop-sci explanation:
youtube.com/watch?v=vrqmMoI0wks

Time and space are stationary, time has too many dimensions for me to fathom, where is space has less/needs less! This of course works because if time/existence/occurrences/moments/seconds are stationary it means we consciousness moves through them in a per programed manor and occasionally spontaneous/glitch! I used to stare at my wall clock and realized when I was a kind that the time clock hands were moving in space, I had no clue physics existed even! The clock is there set, numbers on it but in order to measure it, time, you need to move through it, experience it! So I concluded that time is in deed within space, and in space time is experienced and measured by observing, experiencing and moving through it! This of course makes all events possible and already existing and time travel posible as well without affecting outcomes that exist in lets call them existing time pixels, but rather perhaps finding a way to add to them thus creating! I think he intelligence that created/programed this existence has preordained our pixels and also made it possible for us to add more and evolve without affecting change into the preexisting ones! bla bla bla

Time is a dimension you flow through without a choice.
If you got too close to a black hole, you would lose freedom in one of your spacial dimensions. Idk if this would be like having 2 time dimensions and 2 space dimensions, or if it would just "freeze" the regular time dimension and convert a spacial dimension into a time dimension resulting in 1 time dimension and 2 space dimensions.

Look up "imagining the tenth dimension" on Youtube

too long, didn't watch