Why is gene modification banned?

If we are obligated to give children the best chance they have why do we doom them from birth? To get a stem PhD like everyone should have the opportunity to do, you need an iq of 135, I argue if we have the ability which we do, to give children their best chance it is immoral to not genetically modify.especially in places like developing countries that have low intelligence and suffer war, poverty and starvation
So why do most people think it’s wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

plato.stanford.edu/entries/eugenics/#ArgForLibEug
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

They fear that which they cannot control.
Come to The Dark Side of The Force.

Identify the genes for IQ

Then prove to me by altering them you'll improve IQ and not fuck it up

And prove to me by altering them you'll not make them inclined to murderous psychopathy

Some aspects of gene modification might be easier to work with than others, but until you understand the downstream effects you're basically just running an experiment with other peoples' lives on the line. There might be acceptable parameters for that, but the cross-talk between signal pathways that get coordinated by your genes can be really intricate, and might rely on delicate balances to function.

Maybe wait another 15 years

You really don't need an IQ over 100 to get a stem PhD desu

heterogeneous gauchers mutation can increase iq by 10 points only homozygous is dangerous

there are many others in the identified 10000 year leap

>let's make people carriers for a debilitating disease because a small inbred population with a high IQ has this mutation!
what did he mean by this?

Everyone has stem cells retard even the low IQ ones like you

only the homozygous carriers would be bad

The low iq ones have steam cells, not stem cells.

the link isn't even proven. there are no SNPs associated with IQ in any meaningful way. the SNPs for eye color and height are still being worked out for fuck's sake.

we could just get the smartest people and copy the entire genome instead of making custom ones

stop posting

If we can identify the genes for IQ it would be easier to simply sterilize all who lack it before they hit puberty. They could buy sperm/eggs off non degenerate people if they wanted kids.

these are not the brainlets you're looking for

leave this as my last post

They think there will be unforeseen negative consequences they won't be able to fix.

We modify food all the time, so it's safe to say we know what we're doing. If we mess up we can just modify that too

Have you seen how fucked up we've made dogs with artificial selection? Do you really want to let parents, usually 20 somethings who just didn't use a condom, decide their child's genes? Keep in mind that a large percentage of them choose to circumcise their child purely for cosmetic regions, and that most normies would select for genes that would lead to a happier person rather than a more intelligent one.

We could create the next Einstein with this couldn't we? Create several of them to usher a new age of technology.

Because it doesn't fucking work right now. The chinese were even behind the moratorium on CRISPR usage for designer babies, because one experiment they did resulted in far too many genetic errors.

That doesn't mean experiments have stopped, just that we're more likely to make kids with horrible genetic diseases than high IQs, so no one in there right mind is gonna carry modded embryos to term.

Nope. We don't have the scienece and technology to do this. Even discussing this gives the bioethicists more time to masturbate and the regulators more time to ban it.

Keep quiet till its ready

There was a much more successful set of experiments done earlier this year using CRISPR-Cas9 to fix hereditary heart problems. Still a long way to go, but it’s not that far away, relatively speaking.

here is where i got the ideas

plato.stanford.edu/entries/eugenics/#ArgForLibEug

It's not banned though?

My side have reached quantum stasis between the far regions of the cosmos and the great aether of the Gods beyond.
I have transcended dimensions beyond that of mortal men, in vain, for my sides have transcended even thought form. Congratulations sir.
You have officially fucking destroyed my hopes to recover my sides.

>implying it's banned
You can literally buy crispr kits online right now and do whatever the fuck you want with them. What's illegal is selling those services to other people or running unethical lab experiments and parading the results around. You can apparently do whatever you want behind closed doors though.

You want to genetically modify some plants for your garden so you get bigger food yields, stronger weed, or whatever else? You want a five legged puppy? You want a virus that renders mosquitos infertile so you can have no more pests in your community? You can do all of that right now, assuming you have the biology knowledge necessary, of course.

>To get a stem PhD you need an iq of 135