Need more comfy existential books like this

Need more comfy existential books like this.

>comfy
Hard for us to give you a recommendation that's accurate to what you want when you use meaningless fucking buzzwords like this

Try heroin.

>Stranger
>comfy
No user, YOU were the pleb along

I actually agree that The Stranger is comfy in a way, because of the setting, the summer, Merssault doesn't give a fuck about anything, he's fucking sedated for the most part etc.

The Plague

oh come on bb direct all that chad hate toward social media not here.

>No user, YOU were the pleb along
Is this a sentence?

Yeah part one was extremely relaxing, especially when he talked about the beach and the town and his girl.

Part two was obviously dar,k but I don't think most anons in this thread have actually read the book or they would know what I'm talking about.

The Floating Opera and The End of the Road by John Barth. You can usually find the two novels packaged together as one book

Tropic of cancer

Then just read A Happy Death by the same author.

>comfy
>camus
I think I can understand what you mean by comfy is you're referring to the precise poetic writing... but the whole point is missed if you say comfy

*if you're referring

Read The Myth of Sisyphus and then Fate/Stay Night for an application.

>(((((comfy)))))
>((((((((((existential))))))))))!!!!!!!!

Anyone who lives in a climate or town similar to the setting of part 1 knows how comfy this book is.

>comfy
I don't think you got anything out of this book

Did you? Meursault's indifference is the pinnacle of comfyness. He just goes with the flow, blissfully unaware of the severe consequences of his actions. He meanders back to the rock with the African without the slightest thought, gets caught up with some lunatic for no reason other than they are neighbors, and simply does what feels good in a tense social situation (I never got why smoking at a wake was so bad, btw).

Not him, but if you think this is "comfy", you completely misunderstood the book. You should read it again.

Confederacy of Dunces

What did I misunderstand? How am I not supposed to take the protagonist as a role model? The very last sentence in the book is indicative of sublime acceptance. How is this not the only thing that we can truly strive for?

Not an argument.

>How am I not supposed to take the protagonist as a role model?
sounds like you have some issues to resolve that are clouding your interpretation

It's pretty fucking annoying that you guys refuse to have an open dialogue about the meaning of a story. This is why Veeky Forums is full of pseuds.

>How am I not supposed to take the protagonist as a role model?
Same way you don't take Holden from Catcher in the Rye as a role model, sometimes protagonists are giant cunts

The Trial
Crime and Punishment
Stoner

and to all you newfaggot reddit immigrants, "comfy" or "cozy" means something unchallenging, accessible, and enjoyable. If you don't think The Stranger is any of that you came to the wrong place.

Yeah, he was a cunt, but he lived his life in a way that satisfied him, and in the end, he was satisfied.

The fact that you would desire to live like that is precisely the reason you never will be able to

>have an open dialogue about the meaning of a story.
We do all the time. Your interpretation is just stupid.

You honestly sound like a child.

the book went completely over your head, try reading it again in a couple months/years
have you had an existential crisis btw?

I didn't understand this book at all. Please explain it to me.

>oh come on bb direct all that chad hate toward social media not here.
Is this a sentence?

OP here. Why do you not like Meursault Veeky Forums?

I found his honesty and indifference charming.

>implying it was honesty

thanks user. I actually have the trial. I wasn't hooked immediately so I opted to read the stranger first but I'll check it out.

Noted, thanks.

care to back that claim or are you just being a sophist?

nausea felt comfy.

The incredible amount of detail put into every setting that Sartre described seemed, at times, really comfy. I found myself wishing I was in whichever café he was describing.

also, is it pronounced sartrah or sart. i think its the former but i could be mistaken

Whether people like him or dislike him is irrelevant.
Point is, The Stranger served as an ironic narrative intended to refute the protagonist as a representation of nihilism. Its been years since I've read it and I actually think I lost it but I'm pretty sure he turns absurdist in the end as a character resolution. He acknowledges the absurd before his execution.

What people don't realize about the story is that it's a hyperbole. The climax is ridiculous: a man shoots and kills another man because it was hot outside. Its an exaggerated expression of nihilism, his "honesty and indifference" are ultimately fatal and this is shown in an accelerated narrative of the murder. In reality, the nihilist kills others, and eventually himself, slowly, in increments, and he doesn't realize it until the "charm" has worn off and it's not cute anymore.

Camus was staunchly anti-nihilism. You have to read Myth of Sisyphus after The Stranger for a more comprehensive understanding of absurdism vs nihilism.

sart

>absurdist
Interesting. I haven't read any of his philosophy so I didn't keep much of an eye out for overarching metaphors like that. I did notice the hints of stoicism and nihilism though. Seems like a critique of stoicism as well if the main character being on blast was the whole point of the book.

Well, now I like this book even more.

Even if he goes out an absurdist, the last few pages were quite enjoyable for me.

Sartre's Nausea is better and even more comfy.

Currently reading this. It's pretty comfy so far (am on chapter VI)

Buzzati The Desert of the Tartars, Gracq Le Rivage des Syrtes, Tournier Friday, or, The Other Island.

Ward number 6

St. Exupery's Southern Mail; EMF's Where Angels Fear to Tread...

Themes aside, the descriptions of being too hot in is book made me super uncomfortable

In my entire life, I've never experienced natural heat that was too hot. I subconsciously associated it with a nice summer day, although I know that it wasn't the intention.

I wish I was more imaginative :/. Books descriptions very rarely produce vivid images and experiences for me

its pronounced Sart, anyone who says Sartrah has no knowledge of the French language

>no one posted it

Actually it's Sartr'

>The Stranger
>comfy
Did we read the same book?

Grendel, muthafucka

So accepting and finding peace in that there is no meaning in life is what differentiates nihilism from absurdism? (in the context of The Stranger)

I thought I enjoyed The Stranger but I guess I didn't really understand it. Still don't, I don't understand the significance of Meursault's transformation.

yes you're correct
i usually just say sart unless speaking french cuz its easier for non-french speakers to pronounce

I wish they changed the name of the main character in the english translation.

In french Meursault resemble meurt soleil or die sun.

>he's fucking sedated

More works on overcoming sedation, please.

Also, how do I sedate others in order to influence them so that I can make the world a better place? Are Dracula/Picture of Dorian Gray good guides for this? Mein Kampf? How to Win Friends and Influence People?