Witty

How do I get into Ludwig Wittgenstein? I'm planning on going right into Philosophical Investigations but i'm not sure its the right thing to do.

Other urls found in this thread:

docdroid.net/ckStBXi/wittgenstein-guide.pdf.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Well, I flat out would not recommend starting out with Tractatus.

Maybe look into On Certainty as a starting point, and if you like what you see there move onto PI?

PV is probably the easiest philosophy book known to man, just go for it.

Someone give me a quick rundown

Always go in chronological order

Language doesn't exist outside of dialogue.

You might want to wait for the English version of Subarashiki Hibi ~Furenzoku Sonzai~. It's a game that explains Tractatus through a story.

read some of frege's work and then read meaning of meaning by hilary putnam. OC and the blue+brown books are good too.

Thanks for the advice.

>PV
I'm assuming you mean PI correct?

nah

I'm not really into games but I'm curious how a game would go about doing that.

I'm working my way through. My understanding is that the following order is best-

Tractatus > Blue & Brown Books > PI > On Certainty > Tractatus (re-read)

I skimmed through the tractatus and I think its too much for me. I'm not really familiar with all of the complex logic and symbols. I was looking tons of stuff up and felt pretty lost. Essentially i'm a pleb but I wan't to read him.

>unironic recommendation of weebshit

>I'm assuming you mean PI correct?
Yes, sorry, mah hand slipped. But really take my word for it, it's structured as language games and reader-author dialogues, it's relaxing as fuck.

Wittgenstein is not a good place to start with philosophy. The tractatus is short but the structure and the (lack of) style make it a pain to read. It could also be very cryptic if you don't have a solid grasp of the problematic he was tackling. Read secondary lit, maybe Moore's Refutation of Idealism if you are new to analytic philosophy

I'm not new to philosophy in general but analytic for sure. I'll look into secondary lit, thanks mate.

I am currently reading PI for the first time at work. I have previously read Tractatus and am fairly confident that I got most of it.

Dont think

>It's a game that explains Tractatus through a story.

Nope. You "can" indeed relate all ideas on the game to Wittgenstein, but really a few of them to the Tractatus, aside from the fact Sca-ji assumes you know already that the story works on an anti-realistic standpoint (which isn't exclusive to the Tractatus). Also, the only obvious citations are from PI, the blue/brown books, and Remarks on Colour.
People should try understanding what the author himself said himself before making stupid claims like that, even if they lack the will to try understanding Witty.

Thanks for the bait. I just wanted to say this somewhere.

Familiarize yourself with Frege and Russell, then TLP, then BB books, then PI

start with frege my dude

Yeah no starting with TLP may not the be the best idea unless OP is ready for months of mental torment before finally seeing things straight.

What is your conception of objects, facts, substance, sense? I never really got to discuss my understanding at length with anyone.

Quine is also a great start to analytic philosophy.

After Sense and Reference and On Denotation, where do you go before starting on Wittyboy?

I have the Frege Reader so his essays that arent essentially about mathematics are available to me.

Here's my guide:

docdroid.net/ckStBXi/wittgenstein-guide.pdf.html

that ED is lovely