What is a universe and why do I exist in one?

What is a universe and why do I exist in one?

Constantly expanding mass

You're a mass

There you go

Where else would you exist?

>What is a universe

A theoretical construct.

>why do I exist in one?

This assumes it exists, and can be existed "in".

>asking a philosophical question on sci
this never goes well

>What is a universe and why do I exist in one?

The definition of the universe answers both questions; the set that contains everything.

a set is an abstract concept. the universe isn't an abstract concept unless you don't believe in a mind independent universe

who knows

a sprite in your video game can only see as far as the video game allows, we're in the same situation

note: not saying we're in simulation

Yes

>Constantly expanding

I don't see how this is necessary.

Would you be willing to agree to the premise that if we were able to create a simulation that accurately depicts the complexity of our universe that would imply that it is more likely than not that out universe is also simulated? To clarify, I'm mot trying to get you to say the universe is a simulation or something, just wondering if you find that premise to be reasonable and if not why.

>the universe isn't an abstract concept

It is. "The universe" is just a label under which we the put all objects. The objects themselves need not be abstract.

all you are doing is saying what our representation of the universe is and not what the universe is. sure, we represent the universe with concepts but those concepts refer to something if you believe in mind independence

Are you sure about that

yes

A universe is a hyper toroid expanding faster than the speed of light. You exist in it because a combination of heavy elements from supernovae and energy from Sol allowed you to combinate into a temporarily organised system capable of complex operation

It's been observed. But he meant space, any system of mass close enough together will have a gravitational pull greater than the force of dark energy pulling things apart

No, you're confusing groups with members. That other user is saying physical objects are real but the group that contains them isn't. Sort of like mereological nihilism.

the universe is the composition of everything that is. Every thing in the universe IS the universe, including you. It's the same way a cell in your body is your body, but not all that the body is.

Cells, however, have purpose. What's a human's purpose? We are the eyes of the universe. We are the way the universe knows it exists.

Just because you are living and sentient, it doesn't make you any more greater than, let's say, our sun. You are the reason the sun shines and the sun is the reason you live, because both you and the sun belong to the same entity, everything.

The sun doesn't need eyes, senses, or any human features, because that's why we exist. The sun just does it, through us.
The same way you don't need to know how your thyroid gland works, it just does it.

A speck of dust is equal to that of a human, not in the sense that we have the same objectives and purposes, but in the sense that we create the same thing, EVERYTHING, the universe.

I am everything. Only, I can only observe it through one vessel. Just because I can only experience one entity, it doesn't mean I am not everything else. The same way a cell is within a body amongst billions of others. They all make one thing.

a bunch of fields
because none of the others would have you

Continuing on with this, if everything that exists is all one thing, that means that I am the cells and chemical sparks inside someone's head, known as the conscience. You see? When you die, you're not locked up in some dark room for an eternity. If you are comprised of matter then you are apart of the universe, which is everything. There's nothing spiritual or religious about this, it's just how everything in the universe works. So, when you, as in your identity and body dies, YOU, as in the YOU that is the universe, will continue to exist through everyone and everything, including someone's mind. Only, you don't have to remember your past life, because we don't need to. I am the way the universe looks at itself. We all belong to the same entity.

>What is a universe
Spacetime.
>why do I exist in one
Because God wills it.

I don't need to experience and live as every single living thing, the same way the sun doesn't need to shine every single star.

Are you an idealist?

If consider the pure abstraction of the universe, we come to the question of its self existence. Can a universe exist on its own? What would its information structure be to produce such a thing?
Delving further, we find that no, the pattern of the universe is not self-existent, it is dependent upon Reality. Only Reality which is God, can be self-existent and whose existence is it's own cause.

God produced the universe as a mind produces a thought, it is an aspect of existence and so is God as well.

Why do you exist in one? So that God may become more glorious through the act of creating.

For an eternity there was stillness and then time began in God's eyes. It makes more sense than Stephen Hawking's idea of a quantum foam beginning to balance itself out if time does not exist outside the universe.

No, why? Does it matter what I am?

>What is a universe?
Everything
>Why do I exist in one?
Because you wouldn't be here if you didn't.

i would argue that any true definition of a universe must take into account abstract, typically non purely scientific notions... for example, how does one make sense of thought and mind which we experience as part of what is the scientific universe - or the greater notion of reality

>pic related

nice

Life is a property of matter

wow I didn't know spinoza browsed Veeky Forums

oi kabbalah

This guy gets it

picture a onion where the layers are different modes of frequency, matter is just one mode, below is more dense, above is less dense.

the universe is the spacetime folding on itself

>What is a universe
all existing matter and space considered as a whole
>why do I exist in one?
because your dad didn't listen to everyone else's advice to use a condom

>the universe is an onion
wow watch out we got a philtard among us!

>humans exist
Only by our own definition. You could also say chairs exist but you would be missing the forest for the trees. You are the universe.
>What is everything
Dumb question.
>Why
Why suggests purpose and agency, something the universe, being the sum totality of everything, does not have. Purpose is an idea we impose upon our surroundings and each other in order to make sense of it. Don't anphropomorphise reality.

The only valid question to ask here is how? To which I would respond physics n'shit

Universe
Uni - 1
Verse - part of

...all those fingernail clippings...gross.