Balkan Literature

Im looking into balkan literature and first thing im noticing that Croatian literature is huge, whilst serbian, bosnian, bulgarian are small and irrelevant

just compare these articles
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croatian_literature
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulgarian_literature
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serbian_literature

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/i/s1sFWW622ynW
vocaroo.com/i/s0ISjWLSDQyd
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Croatian literature is huge, whilst serbian, bosnian, bulgarian are small and irrelevant
I'm sure this statement, like many things Balkan, is quite uncontroversial and everybody will agree.

Slovenia and Croatia are the only relevant Yugo countries, so it's only natural for their literature to be superior.

ministry of pain - Dubravka Ugresic

ignore and report this thread, it's a shitposter from /int/

sage

There's no great science to it, just history. Bulgaria and Serbia (everything sotuheast from croatia actually) was under Ottoman occupation and not much culture, specially literature was able to flourish.
Croatia (parts that matter atleast) was not under occupation, plus they had free city of Ragusa, which was most cultural place in entire balkans in you ask me

a be fredi, al si upishan leee

My favorite writer is Vladimir Draskovic, also know in our country as the cab driver.

Croatian language is the only language in Yugoslav territory. That's probably why this is the case, OP

Croatians are the most honourable warrios-Adolf Hitler

keknuh dbi

I read things written by him, his work is really outstanding

Essential Croatian books:

Frederick Hendrick Freeze - The Pish Pish Chronicles
Domagoy and Dominique - Homosexual love story
Meho Hrvat - Doctor do a lot
Osjecanka's step by step guide to suicide

"croatians are the best fighers in the world: not because they have no fear, but because they have no shame"

give me 5 croats and ill conquer the world

-napeolon bonaparte

umirem

>fighers
bogte jebo bar si daj malo truda

I don't speak gypsy sorry
plus you're a loser for pointing out a typo

from all croats the worst are the serbs

-slobodan milosevic 1995

This, he's amazing and very layered, crazy to think he spent the majority of his life as a taxi driver. I'd recommend his selected works to everyone interested in human psychology and one's place in society

croats started the yugoslav wars in the 90s by seizing Krajina (serbian rightful clay).

His works during herin rehabilitation were one of the finest modernist pieces of literature! Shame he's not with us anymore

good intro to balkan lit? any recommended first language to learn for a monolingual english speaker?

here

>monolingual pleb
You might as well be disabled

There's only one balkan language - Croatian. rest are rip offs

learn another language loser

Kadare is the best European writer of the past 50 years. Fite me.

Pic semirelated, best writer from my country.

albanian

no

Petar II Petrović-Njegoš - Gorski vijenac (the mountain wreath)

First serious reply in this shit thread.

Bugger off fucking ustasa or however you spell that.

You blind m8

suck me silly shiptar cunt

Turkish

only valid for albanian and serbian literature though

What I am noticing is that the Croatian Wikipedia community is more active, nothing about literature.

I'm Romanian you fucking Hungarian doormat.

How about some great female novelists?

>im hungarain doormat u fucknig doormat
derped, dumb gypo

Would you really go and try reading the literature of a nation that can't even be bothered to sort out their wiki?

I wouldn't be any less likely to do it, since Wikipedia has absolutely nothing to do with good literature.

Wikipedia isn't a reliable source for anything, academics such as me spit on it.

Your loss my man

Those love songs that Serbian poet Nebojsa Slavujevic wrote for her were really charming and sweet.

more like
>With the fall of Serbia and neighbouring countries in the 15th century, there is a gap in the literary history in the occupied land

do people in the balkans read? I thought they only watch tv

>Romania
>not BTFO Hungary and their slav slaves for 200 years

Can we stop /int/ now tho?

my mom reada a lot of ero novela, doea that count

ah now there's a beuty

Transylwania is yours thanks to great powers now zip your gypo hole or ill stick a plastic bottle in it

why romanians talk about gypsies all the time but didn't exterminate them all during all these years of dictatorships? scared to kill some relative?

>this konac

its like when Hamlet was forced to kill Luciana but then realized its him who he would slaughter .

Odakle si Fedora, devojano mlada...

Well apparently your knowledge of history is as good as your bantz.

the best part is when he says "just compare these wikipedia articles" thinking it is some legit proof for anything
Take your baiting and nationalistic shit to /pol/

thanks for embarrassing croatia you fucking shit

vocaroo.com/i/s1sFWW622ynW

CRNO VINO, CRNE OCI
TU MI PJESMU PJEVALA
DOK ME JE U OCI GLEDALA

FRIZE, FEDORA
MOJU DUSU UZELA
DA JE DIJETE NE BI UMJELA...

And the he /int/s out like a chimp. Recommend me a good Croatian writer. I like Jokai Mor, Kadare and Kazantzakis for reference.

Who knew yugos had better bants than aussies

Outstanding poem

here's one of mine i wrote in honor of our lady ..

vocaroo.com/i/s0ISjWLSDQyd

They actually read more and more frequently than other people. Our school system mandated that we read basically all worthy books from 7 year olds to end of highschool. You read more if you go to some lit college or psychology or something, I obviously don't have literature anymore at CS.

Even our old and homeless people have a read few books. It's because literature is in our tradition and it's shamefull to be recognized as a person who doesn't know any of our classics. We were being tought to read "Gorski Vijenac" at 10 year old. That book is very hard to read even if you know our language, it's like Shakesperean English to Modern English only more complex.

Marin Držić & Marko Marulić

go old or go hom

Hmm

>Croatian literature is huge, whilst serbian, bosnian, bulgarian are small and irrelevant
Much like their penises

>romania - 91
I knew it, I am in a country of stupid fucks

test

hehe pocelo je

wa muie

Miroslav Krleža
August Šenoa
Krešimir Hendrik Frize
Ivo Andrić

Danijel Smolcic
Nebojsa Slavujevic
Domagoj Philipque
Vladimir Draskovic
Damir Rimac
Dominik Spomenik

Very interesting I'll check them out. Thanks!

je l' ovo neki meme?

Da nisi ti Bosko Miljuskovic?
Ako jesi isao si sa mnom u skolu, jebote poslednje gde bih pretpostavio je da cu te ovde naci.
Super vam je svirka, Bole uvek si imao dar za to, ocekivao sam i da ce ti nesto tako krenuti, samo napred!!
Pozzz veliki

>Look him up
>Can't find any translations
>Can't even find a Wikipedia article
>Just Slavic Facebook profiles
:(

the gypsywoman is my favorite book especially the sex scene Vlado is truly a God among men

Serbian lit
Collected works of national epic poetry
Petar Petrović II Njegoš*
Laza Kostić*
Vojislav Ilić*
Vladislav Petković Dis*
Jovan Dučić*
Bora Stanković*
Branko Miljković*
Ivo Andrić*
Meša Selimović*
Danilo Kiš*
Desanka Maksimović
Miloš Crnjanski*

* -- god tier writers TBQH

+ Momčilo Nastasijević
Vasko Popa

i dunno i kinda prefer vlado's criminal novels such as "wounds" and "see you in the obituary" some of his work can be compared to frederik maximilan's "financial fraud: the break street chronicles"

Kiklop je jedan od rijetkih romana koje zapravo vrijedi čitati s naših prostora, navodno je stekao dobru reputaciju među američkim intelektualcima.

Have you guys heard of/read Zone by Mathias Enard? French stream of consciousness novel about a French-Croatian fascist/spy taking a train to Rome and thinking about war throughout history.

He's getting more acclaim in France now.

I've read some new novels by Mihaela Gašpar (O čajnicima i ženama/About teapots and women) and Daša Drndić (EEG) and they are really good. I doubt there's an english translation since both are new(ish).

"while i was gently licking her gipsy feet" by Vladimir "cab driver" Draskovic

Gjergj Fishta - Lahuta e Malcís (The Highland Lute)

But the translation is probably mediocre at best.. And even if you'd learn (standard) Albanian you would have trouble reading it cause it's written in pure Gheg

i'm from balkans. don't try to language, utterly useless. if you ahve to, learn serbocroatian (yes, serbocroatian). serbs and croats got butthurt and decided to split the serbocroatian language into serbian and croatian. they're literally 99.9% the same language, except serbian can be written in cyrillic script (can also not be, they use both cyrillic and normal).
t. slovenian

literally a copy of The Mountain Wreath

vlado's gypsywoman > petrarch's laura desu

inspired by njegoš, sure.. a copy no

it's like when you compare a bible to quran
bible is much better than its shitty offshoot

Kiklop je precijenjena izdrkotina. Matoš i Krleža su neopisivo bolji.
Don't worry, this whole thread is just shitposts and memes from /ex-yu/.

You haven't actual read it in Albanian, right? Of course not..

yes i did. and it's low quality compared to njegos version, like a chinese copy of something
it's literally written 100 years after the actual event by some anonymous catholic priest. how good it can really be?

>yes I did
back to /balk/ serv

>everyone who disagrees with me is a serb
albanian logic

Do you balkanese people still love the accordion? It's the first thing that comes to my mind when I think of balkan.

You didn't read it in Albanian lol..
also
>some anonymous catholic priest
>chairman of commision for standardization of albanian
>vice president
>editor of important albanian magazine
>anonymous

again, go back to /balk/ and shitpost there

>You didn't read it in Albanian lol..
okay if you told me so

he's writer but the source was some anonymous person. it's literally a poem recorded in 20th century

if the language isn't worth learning to you, are there any books you enjoyed from the area?