Thoughts on Rainald Goetz? Did he go full retard in 83 or was it one of the coolest moment in German literature...

Thoughts on Rainald Goetz? Did he go full retard in 83 or was it one of the coolest moment in German literature? Does anyone here even know him?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Wn64AVFydDw
suhrkamp.de/buecher/mad-rainald_goetz_22428.html?d_view=english
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

youtube.com/watch?v=Wn64AVFydDw

related video

Why don't you tell us about this feller?

He's basically one of the more well known high-brow authors in modern Germany. He recently got awarded with the Georg-Büchner-Preis which is one of the most important landmarks for an author to achieve. He writes in a very contemporary, sharp and stunningly fast style. In 1983 he cut his own forehead with a razor while reading something from his first novel "Irre" to an astounded audience at the Ingeborg-Bachmann-Preis. I'm reading his newest novel Johann Holtrop right now and while I think he's better as a cultural observer than a true novelist, his writing style and observational skills are great.

Seems like a neurotic cuck

more like a coked-out Berliner Schule nut but cool buzzwords in this thread that totally called for shitty memes.

>coked-out Berliner Schule nut
That doesn't exclude the descriptor of "neurotic cuck". As a matter of fact, I'd say they include each other.

It's stupid to call him a cuck because a) it's a buzz word that has lost all meaning and is unable to capture any sort of sense in a discussion b) he doesn't fit the general concept of being "sensitive" in a phony way or fighting for radical justice c) it's more of a maximalist apocalyptic media pastiche he's trying to deliver.

>cutting yourself with a razor to astound the audience

Writers truly are a mixture of suicidal teenage girl and wrestler

what's his best work that's been translated into English?

Irre was translated to "Mad" in English and is supposed to be very good, I have only read excerpts though. His newest novel "Johann Holtrop" has also been translated - it's about the complete breakdown of the societal systems in German economic culture. I'm currently reading it and his style is very fluid and intricate in German, the only thing that kind of surprised me was how slow the actual narrative moves in contrast to the hyper-active style.

auneienenfernun die duchstaufweishaupt einerjarnen fannitullen schlampesswolftsteinerwiggenfuck degrossfichedichdichliebeingsommderclaus

sounds very warholian. he was a psyche dr huh? have any of his books been translated into english? he play has been, what do german-bros think of that play?

as i said
i think his play got a great reception and is one of the most famous works of pop art ever made in Germany.

how does this last one compare to the works of Houellebecq ?

oh cool. sorry, I missed your post.

He has this novel Rave that really belongs to my interests.

Sadly enough my German is not that good and has not been traduced yet (not even to English). In Spanish only Irre is traduced.

I hope to read him soon.

I can't seem to track down "mad". do you know which press put it out?

I found this link, maybe this will help you.

suhrkamp.de/buecher/mad-rainald_goetz_22428.html?d_view=english

much appreciated user

i can't tell if this guy's a product of his time or if he was lampooning it. is this punk or what punk was rebelling against? interesting

anyone else reminded of rick mayall?

Really makes me realize how bad my German is.

All I got was him questioning if things are important which we consider important, or something like that.

So, why did he cut himself?

Adrenaline and to look edgy, I presume.

Can't understand a word but fuck he's intense

something something television literature and cars are not important something something

Does his play titled Jeff Koons have anything to do with the artist by the same name?

Can't find anything about it.

wirklichkeit = reality
he speaks fast so I think you'd have to practice speaking and listening daily for a few months if you wanted to understand him better.

what is up with the file name of his pic

She speaks fast, but very clearly and in a familiar dialect (if not Hochdeutsch).

Why did I think 'wirklich' meant 'wichtig'?

beon

He did the crazy razor thing at a reading at the Ingeborg-Bachmann-Preis in 83. She's a fantastic poet who burned to death check her out.

Funny thing is: this guy actually has two PhDs - in medicine and in history.
This recording is from 1982, the year he got his second.