Is this the year we get a new pynchon novel?

Is this the year we get a new pynchon novel?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=snQYoSCSxHo&index=
warosu.org/lit/thread/S667543#p667619
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Sometimes I fear he is already dead but his family doesn't want to tell anyone.

No one who has gotten through all his books would be saying that.

Saying what? That 2017 might be the year we get a new novel of his?

i feel like he's been working on one last great book while writing other shitty ones more quickly. With that said I don't think 2017 is the year it comes out

Hoping for this too.

I want something like gravity's rainbow again. Perverse, fractured, hilarious and harrowing.

Please pinecone, write us one last piece that blows us all away.

I don't know, he's really getting up there in age and it has been around 4 years since his last book. Can a man that age really afford to wait 5 or 6 or 7 years? Especially when his last book is bleeding edge, how fucked up would it be if he died with that at the end of his list

Someone described this video as "A very Pynchon video" and I have to agree:

youtube.com/watch?v=snQYoSCSxHo&index=

B-but I haven't read Vineland, Against the Day, or Bleeding Edge yet.

I thought Bleeding Edge was pretty decent. I think it will go down well in history as an early internet novel.

But could see Pynchon currently writing a huge final book to be published when he dies. He also may be fairly healthy still. He's only 79, people live into their 90s reasonably frequently now.

Pynchon will write a book about death that will be released decades after he dies

Doubt it

Not necessarily about death, but I wouldn't be surprised if pynchon does end up doing that.

He might release a book posthumously, maybe, but I don't see why he would.

To add to the mystery he's been creating since he decided to become invisible, seems like the logical next step

also crying of lot 49, maybe he'lll send us on a chase with his last novel too

idk

we'll never get another gravity's rainbow because it's an era of pynchon we won't ever see again - his first era stuff. We're in third era Pynchon, starting with Inherent Vice, content to write 'pop' novels with an inner desire to have his work exposed to a wider audience. The big epic isn't out of his reach, but its not something I feel he wants to do anymore

William Gass is a young 92 while DeLillo is a decrepit 80.

Inherent Vice is a far cry from pop, unless you compare it to only other works of Pynchon, then some sort of argument could be made.

Inherent Vice City GTA mod when

Inherent Vice was fucking garbage. If it was written by anyone other than Pynchon nobody would care about it.

in my opinion.

wasn't COL49 already explained to you by not Bill Murray

Why is it so fucking garbage?

wouldnt that be a GTA san andreas inherent vice mod?

I don't know lol. I've read it thrice but I just don't like anything about it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

?

reads worse than a phillip marlowe novel

>>I pray to God that when Pynchon dies

I pray to God that before Pynchon dies somebody will point out that the secret answer to The Crying of Lot 49 is "Torquato Tasso". Thurn & Taxis? Torquato Tasso? The image of the badger on his back? Get it?

Torquato Tasso was a famous literary artist who went mad and got locked away. In other words, Oedipa's experience of paranoia is a form of artistic madness. That's it. It's a puzzle book, just like Pale Fire expects you to work out the puzzle that the crown jewels are hidden in Kobaltana. This, incidentally, is why my good friend Tommy basically disowned Lot 49 in the preface to Slow Learner.

Again, the fact that no academic has noticed this about Pynchon---even men as bright as Edward Mendelson or Tony Tanner---shows more about the limitations of the academic mindset than anything else.

Shall I lay it out in lemmata? (That being the proper Greek plural.)
1. The "Taxis" in Thurn & Taxis is ascribed as being derived from the Italian word "Tasso" meaning "badger." Here's the passage....

"Soon he had added to his iconography the muted post horn and a dead badger with its four feet in the air (some said that the name Taxis came from the Italian tasso, badger, referring to hats of badger fur the early Bergamascan couriers wore). He began a sub rosa campaign of obstruction, terror and depredation along the Thurn and Taxis mail routes. Oedipa spent the next several days in and out of libraries and earnest discussions with Emory Bortz and Genghis Cohen". (If you don't believe me.)
2. Look up the Latin verb "torqueo, torquere". It means: to twist, turn, screw. "Torquato" is a Latin past-participle. Torquato Tasso = Turned Badger.
3. Of course "Thurn" is the German word for "tower", like the tower in Remedios Varo's painting.
4. Of course there is a famous poem about Torquato Tasso (besides Goethe's) by Shelley (Julian & Maddalo) which describe's Tasso as a madman locked away in a tower.

Interesting.

Maybe the reason such bright critics dont talk about it because claiming there is a single answer or clue to a work like this is stupid and very boring and they would rather concentrate on actually interesting elements. In the same way the crown jewels is an interesting subplot it isnt the most important element and only true autists try to diminish it to one puzzle.
Literally the most autistic extension of reading for plot.

What you should do.. is go down the rabbit hole of not-Bill Murray's posts: warosu.org/lit/thread/S667543#p667619

There are more posts by him in other threads that are linked at the bottom of that archived thread

are you just pissed off the academics that suck your work off constantly?

>You.
it was archived post i copypasted into the thread take your pills schizoid

Isn't Against the Day like this?

I haven't read it either.

>He might release a book posthumously, maybe, but I don't see why he would.

I meet Jackson Pynchon occasionally through some mutual friends... Last time I saw him we were a bunch of people out drinking together. Naturally, it didn't take long for us to get a little tipsy and start discussing literature. Jackson did in fact hint to me that this is something his father has thought about for a while --- I guess mainly because of this yours sincerely,
james franco

Thanks, James! Good luck with your Bukowksi film.

Both Inherent Vice and Bleeding Edge are great novels. If you actually read the books like you should (take notes, research the references, map out plot/characters) you'd be blown away by what he does with both novels.

BUT...you're a hack who likes novels to be obviously difficult and then you say "Wow. Amazing 5 stars. Oh, yeah, did I mention you're not supposed to 'get it'?"

civil war novel when

who is this punctured vessel of salty goo and blood and poo?

>civil war novel when

I don't think the Civil War jibes with Pynchon's zaniness.

I haven't read IV but it makes me really mad that people dislike Bleeding Edge just because it's new Pynchon. It really contains the millennial spirit in a way that's amazing for a 70 y/o

reconstruction era is zany

True, so there's potential after all.

readers are lazy and while it does seem like he's not breaking new ground, pynchon knows exactly what he's doing, this isnt vollman we're talking about

i wouldnt advocate researching every novel you read, but with pynchon that's kind of the point

Go to bed Pynchon.

I don't think he has another GR in him to be frankly honest.

I'd like him to do something fun and different. Like a kids book or a first person novella.

Oh man! You guys crack me up!

I'm working on a little something-something but I can't promise that it'll come out this year! There's still a lot of kinks that I gotta sort out!

I'm feeling really good about this one, though!

reported and saged. Never quote that many people ever again, attention whore

Oh jeez, I didn't mean to upset you!

did you seriously just report thomas pynchon? you fucking autistic newfag bitch

Me? Attention whore?

youre bothering the one spook you dont meme on

ah those were good times.

yes

what do you guys think is Pynchon's interpretation of reality?

I'll admit Bleeding Edge wasn't great, but if a new book was announced this year I'd be excited nonetheless, even if it was the same quality as BE.

Usually he has a couple of inferior books in between his masterpieces. but then it takes a decade or so to publish it. he's done those (BE and IV).
Expect a new masterpiece around 2020-2025

>Pynchon
>Actually interpreting instead of just being an interpreter of interpretations

I don't think of them as inferior. I think of them as his comfies

>
>Isn't Against the Day like this?
I think ATD and M&D are better than GR.
I also think they're warmer and more humane. You can feel him being a father when he writes those books. He wrote GR before he was a father.

surely you think he has a point of view, no?
just because he's not explicit about it, doesn't mean he doesn't have it.

Why does the civil war not do this but WWII does?

>tfw Pynchon dies and a great new book is released
>tfw book's main character is named Tim Pimkin
>tfw Tim Pimkin YouTube channel appears
>tfw 1000+ videos of Pynchon playing point and click detective adventure games with full commentary

My life is finally complete

what was this post that got reported?

Thomas Pynchon posted in the thread and replied to every single post. The autist got triggered and reported him.

Oh man, I wanted to see pinecones post.

Pynchon should do a cold war crisis novel or something regarding the whole Fake News thing and Trump's presidency but the last one sounds incredibly lazy. actually I hope he doesn't cash in with a shitty LOL TRUMP novel.

He'll most likely do some futuristic space colonization novel.

Was he or was he not in Inherent Vice, was there any concensus on that?

I don't think Pynchon can really work in the future. All of his books are set in the past so he can throw zany references in

Seeing the rise of social media culture would be pretty interesting from Pynchon's POV.

Yeah, good point. Pynch can write whatever he wants to write.

kek

I've never read a Phillip Marlowe novel so I can't dispute this.

Probably because millennials are predictable

inherent vice city

>still no disaster artist trailer
fuck you, james

Emmanuelle Seigner in The Ninth Gate

A real comfy film.

Hopefully we'll finally get Pandemonium of the Sun

> dey warm n shieeeet

worst reason for preferring a book. you realize farina died in weird circumstances and that's why he's so fucking mad in GR? apply yourself

>Pynchon should do a cold war crisis novel

already contained in GR

>or something regarding the whole Fake News thing and Trump's presidency

already contained in Bleeding Edge

maybe you should actually read his books

Hijinks and conspiracies

you're a hijink and conspiracy

:D

Never say never. He supposedly tossed the basic idea that later turned into Mason & Dixon around even back in the 1970s, so who's to say that the old trickster isn't cooking up something grand and just published IV and BE to cover his bills?

i don't get it...

FUCKING USE WAROSU DONT ASK US LEARN 2 USE THE INTERNET REEEEEEEEEE

Thank you.

I dreamt of Pinecone being a family friend of mine, and we hung out; Me, Tommy, his wife and Jackson, and he - without a warning - injected some hallucinogenic drug on my neck and i started tripping pretty hard. He just laughed a fatherly laugh and dosed himself and his wife. Then we watched massive, red eagles soaring in the blue sky and bathing in a nearby pond. It was truly magical. I still sometimes miss his company. Even if it was just a dream...

the necro bump disguised as a joke wasn't funny, hence the sarcastic image

ah ok

fight me

i just spoke with thomas and unfortunately he is experiencing some delays. he sounded hopeful for 2018 however

let us all pray

The world had become mechanized to a global scale by WWII.

n-no

What's the new book about?

About roleplaying.

what did he mean by this?