GLASS

IS A GLASS A SOLID OR A LIQUID?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_dilemma
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitch_drop_experiment
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amorphous_solid
youtu.be/c6wuh0NRG1s
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annealing_(glass)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass_transition)
intechopen.com/source/html/42098/media/image1.jpeg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

a solid at room temperature

untrue

no, it's true.

>Solidified liquid
It can withstand shear therefore it is a solid.

Ok it has very low strain rates making it behave like a liquid over a very very long time but definitely not a liquid for practical purpose.

>making it behave like a liquid over a very very long time
No. Glass is a solid and NOT a high viscose liquid. Medieval windows have not sagged over time. They were already .thicker at the bottom when they were installed.

>IS A GLASS A SOLID OR A LIQUID?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_dilemma

>All the brainlets in this thread
The correct answer is Yes

>It can withstand shear therefore it is a solid.
>OP's pic clearly show glass getting sheared

Holy shit, Veeky Forums

Is the flower red or blue?
>yes

If the flower is red or blue, then yes is the correct answer. If you want to hear a different answer, then maybe you should ask a better question like "what is the color of the flower?"

Both, it is amorphous.

>making the distinction between matter phases other than when a material goes superconducting
why bother?

Are you telling me I'm too smart for this board and should join a smarter community? Because I get that feeling quite often too

fucking mansplaining faggot fuck off

The same shit can happen to iron, user. Heat it up = slice it

Some elements can change from liquid to solid based on thermal rates, which answers the OP's question.

Bona fide solid.

For those of you who point to church windows saying that the glass has flowed over time, it was like that when they first made it. They just put the window in with the bulge at the bottom so it looks more symmetrical.

It's an amorphous solid. No regular crystal lattice extending long distances.
As others have noted, the "church windows" story is a myth.
It will flow under sustained pressure (if not allowed to expand and fracture) but it takes longer than a few centuries. Most anything will flow, given time. Rock flows. That's why California is creeping slowly towards Alaska.
See "pitch drop experiment"
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitch_drop_experiment
but imagine it cooled to a hundred below zero.

>it cooled to a hundred below zero.

And my mamma cried, Nanuk, no no, Nanuk, no no. Don't be a naughty Eskimal ohh ohh...

A BOM BOM BOWOWA

Crystalline order is not required for a material to be classified as a solid.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amorphous_solid

It's a fluid that happens to behave like a solid at a macroscopic level.

Glass is a solid, those stories about widow glass being thicker at the bottom are an urban myth. If it were a liquid there would be experiments like pic related.

Is sand a solid or a liquid?

Is plasma a solid or a liquid?

this. They didn't have the technology to properly level glass when they'd make windows, so when they installed the windows they put the heavier side down.

>mansplaining
>unironically using newspeak on a science board.

Actually it is a solid. why? two pieces of glass will never melt into one. I dont even know whowas the brainlet who invented this mith even if it was true, it is going to be plasma, NEVER liquid. Liquids never shater.

this. It is the first thing i thought. they probably did this for equilibrium or because they left them in the ground before fully cooling. Brinlets sying it is liquid have 0 scientific evidences

there is ONE single cuck posting in all the threads, he is prob the one who posts "why the homophobia"

What would it be like to take a bite out of that

>he is prob the one who posts "why the homophobia"
I'm not a "he".

solid

drive by any old store you inner city negro. The glass is frozen mid drop, and is therefore a liquid

Both and none of them at the same moment.

>there is ONE single cuck posting in all the threads
No, we've got lots of /pol/friends on this board, newfriend

"glass" is literally a category, it's a SOLID that isn't crystallised.
Pitch is a high viscose liquid, glass is a solid.

Debate over.
youtu.be/c6wuh0NRG1s
/thread

>what is granular flow

this guys balls not using gloves

Mineralogist here
Glass is an amorphous solid. Glass is ANY amorphous solid. Obsidian for instance is volcanic glass.

You're not being clever OP.

Well it's not a myth they're thicker at the bottom, because they are. It's just that back in the day it was pretty hard to make a good level surface for the glass to get shaped on/by, so they would flow slightly towards one end because of gravity. The glaziers would then put the windows in with the thicker end on the bottom.

It's a glassy solid you morons

>some elements can change from solid to liquid
wow real smart

OK, let's move on to the more advanced questions: Are cats liquid?

>all these people citing the glass windows thing
come on, telescopes are much better counter examples

This thread is turning my brain liquid

Neither. Glass is amorphous solid at normal environment. That means it has liquid and solid in its structure. It actually flows veeeery slowly. Just look at those old colored window tiles from year 1500 or something.

its an under cooled liquid. btw even rocks float over long periods of time (millions of years)

An amorphous solid, kinda metstable. To certain extent, atoms autodiffuse even in solid form.

Glass is a solid even when molten. It is like lava. Which also isn't a liquid. What you are seeing is shearing forces, now flowing.

it's an amorphous solid,

Not sure if autism or just retarded.

it's a gas
if it wasn't it wouldn't be transparent
checkmate round-earthers

CLASSIC

It's a liquid even when it looks like a solid

t. Glass engineer

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annealing_(glass)

When it's cool, it's solid. It's basically a myth/old wive's tale that it slowly will flow like a liquid over hundreds of years.

There's are intact stained-glass windows from 1065 that still look quite intact/not-melting today. Roman glassware from >2k years ago still looks fine and not melting today.

The actual slowest liquid known is tar pitch, which takes decades for one drop to come out from a hole in a container.

>The glass is frozen mid drop,
if it's frozen it's a solid

Actually retarded. Wow.

so you sayin dem medieval brothas liked em THICC?

pretty sure I can't smash the shit out of liquid nigga

Yes.

it's a Bingham plastic

Why the homophobia?

nice.

>faggot
why the homophobia?

t. retard.
It's a liquid with extremely slow kinetics.
Do you even p-chem?

ITT: People who don't know the difference between solid, liquid and fluid.

Glass is a fluid that behaves like a solid. It's a liquid with extremely high viscosity at room temperature. However, often all vitruous materials are called glass, so the generalization "amorphous solid" is quite common.

Similarly, sand is also a fluid, but it's definitely solid, yet nobody can deny the fact that it flows.

what? im not afraid of homos

You can cut class with scissors if you submerge it in a certain amount of water
I fucking love science

You're going to talk down to people yet you believe a myth that has been perpetuated about glass for decades if not longer. That's fucking sad man.

Then show some fucking titties or gtfo.

I can cut aluminum with scissors. Is aluminum a liquid?

That is actually a meme

they can be made liquid

>IS A GLASS A SOLID OR A LIQUID?
NO IT'S NOT, CADET CAPSLOCK

Don't do it

Both retards
Glass at room temp is an amorphous solid.
It still flows, just very very slow. think coal tar

This is a myth

It doesn't flow, faggot.

Is a non-Newtonian fluid a solid or a liquid?

glass flows retard
Go look at some really old window panes, they're gonna be thicker at the bottom

>Old window panes are thicker at the bottom
Handmade glass is hard to get perfectly even unlike our modern glass so they would install the thicker side in the bottom for stability

The molecules in (a) glas are bound in an amorphous structure (there is no order). The thing with amorphous materials is, that they not only have a melting point (Tm) but also a glas transition temperature (Tg) where they enter a somewhat viscous state.(en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass_transition)

So you can't really call an almost 100% amorphous structure (like it is the case with our glas SiO2/ Na4SiO4) a true solid or liquid. Believe it or not, there are more "solid" states for example rubber, gum, rubber flow,... all depending on the temperature with a (measurable viscosity) but STILL BELOW the true melting point Tm.

So in summary, saying glas is liquid or solid as a statement is both wrong. These boundaries are only clear with mainly cristalline materials.

t. currently studying Polymer/Material Chemistry related stuff

Also see this diagramm (no time to upload a pic sorry)
intechopen.com/source/html/42098/media/image1.jpeg

That's a meme.

OUT

>question gives you two options: red and blue
>interpret is as a yes/no question

why are autistic people so bad at communication?

How it's made spread that myth too, tricked me years ago.

I am providing you with experimental evidence with which you can empirically declare cats to be liquid.

except they arent

It would be extremely painful

amorphous solid
"liquid". as, fine sand behaves like a "smoke", which is classified as liquid

>wax and plastic is glass
Retard.

It doesn't flow you fucking idiot. It's amorphous solids are still solid fucking retard.

Did you go to school at mcdonalds you goofy muthafucka?

Even though glass is a familiar system, explaining how it forms is a big deal in modern physics research, once we assume that the behaviour is essentially liquid-like we can come up with equations to predict how long it would take for solid glass to flow, even though we would never ever see it. Glass is merely a very viscous liquid there are published calculations and models in support of this view, they are based among other things on the way it absorbs heat and behaves under pressure.
To see glass flow would take an almost unimaginably long time, but it would happen. If you wait longer than the age of the universe, you'll see window glass as a liquid it would flow. That is a long wait to win an argument. In the meantime, we rely on maths. For physicists, one billion years is not much different from one second. It's just a number. It's an extremely long number, but I can quantify the process.

>tldr: retard who actually thinks glass flows.

>Liquids never shater.
You are an absolute retard and should remove yourself from the gene pool immediately.