I'm applying for grad school and asked my professor for a letter of recommendation to which he responded that he will...

I'm applying for grad school and asked my professor for a letter of recommendation to which he responded that he will gladly recommend me provided I write the letter myself and he just has to sign it. How the fuck do I go about doing this?? I have no idea whatsoever how to write a letter of recommendation, but I said yes in the heat of the moment.

just write it but mention you wrote it and say the prof trusts you enough and thinks you are independent enough i guess

i don't think I should mention that I wrote it myself, would the school even accept a recommendation letter like that?

prof signed it m8
could always ask him if they accept that shit

bruh that's retarded, get someone else

meant for OP

He's one of the professors I know the best, have good grades with and I've even been a TA for him. I mean I could get someone else but he was in my mind going to be my best letter

Did this myself recently. Professor said they didn’t have time to do it themselves so they told me to do a draft and that they’d reword it to be their own. I got the sense it’s not that out of the ordinary.

Can you give me some general advice how to go about it?

Start off by introducing the professor. What are their qualifications for writing the letter - where/what they teach, how long, etc. Why should the graduate admissions committee listen to them? (I forgot to do this and felt like a fool but the guy added it himself I think.)
Next move to introducing yourself (from professor's POV). What interactions have they had with you - classes? research? How do they know you? You get the point.
Then move into why they think that you are a good fit for graduate school. This is where you start fluffing yourself up a bit.
Also, there's a lot of examples you can find online. (I suspect that every professor looks it up at one point or another in their career.)

>recommendation letters
why the fuck does this shit even exist?

Yeah but none of that is reflected in the letter if he doesn't write it himself. Kinda defeats the purpose. Maybe you asked asked too late, so he doesn't have enough time. At my school they tell you ask early.

because there are tons of people with academic qualifications but have no idea how to act around people, how to collaborate, or how to just show up. It's to make sure you're not an autistic splurge who thinks they are better than everyone else because of an IQ test they took online.

Don't be a fucking idiot - just write the letter. Give yourself an excellent reference put don't push it beyond belief.

kill yourself

Pretty common practice. Your fucktarded ass should have had one ready to go for him already.

And no, don’t mention you wrote it yourself. How are you going to graduate grad school if you’re this fucking retarded? Profs have their students do this all the time.

Funny enough letters of rec. are probably the second most important thing in most grad school applications (after research experience). My friend on a biomed PhD admissions committee told me they run through applications and sort them in piles by GPA and GRE scores, go just below the mean and then check letters for red flags before sending out interview offers. Obviously this could vary by program.

yeah but what's their point? you could tell the students to flip a coin, tell them to mail the result and only accept ones with heads, and you'd have as good filtration system

Xdddd authistic fag spotted

A lot of aspects of grad school applications are kinda worthless, especially throwing in how worthless GREs are.