Thoughts on this amazing book?

Thoughts on this amazing book?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xFt59_E_g5s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

i'm at the part where the typhoon has settled a little, pretty great stuff user

What can be said about it that hasn't been said already?

Not much desu

I will say that I had to read it for school, hated it, and then picked it up a few years ago and it's now one of my favourite books.

is this some kind of plot to make moby dick a meme?
im okay with it i guess, the book was incredible, but i see this thread many times a day.

>babby's first Melville

youtube.com/watch?v=xFt59_E_g5s

oh

Literally an amazing book.
I read it last year and didn't think I'd love it as much as I did. It is metal as fuck.

I lost the motivation to read it about halfway through when it's just endless chapters on whales and nautical matters.

I loved those parts, though.
Reading about the supernatural fear attributed to Sperm Whales gave me goosebumps.

It's a real whale of a time!

I need to read the KJV bible first

pleb

I don't understand. Those parts are just as artistic and literary as the rest of the book. The amount of literary motifs in those passages is astounding, It's a marvel Melville turned something to encyclopedic and dry into a fascinating and absorbing study,

so encyclopedic*

Anyone know if the edition OP posted is any good? Thinking about getting either that or the Library of America edition.

Absolutely brilliant. A fine work of art. The plot does get slow at times, and is a weak point in general, but that is the only criticism I have. Easily one of the best novels ever.

What a long a novel this is, a good book but it's so damn long I felt like I'd be reading it for the rest of the century.

>35 minutes
no

I have the library of America edition and it's great. The intro essay is insightful and the annotations are useful. Also it has labeled pictures of ships, boats and whales.