>borrow a book from someone in high school
>six months later
>him: "hey man so uh can i get the book back?"
>yeah man i'll get it to you later
>never return it
>be 21, almost 22 now
>suddenly feel super guilty about it

ITT: shit you did in the past that caught up with your conscience

Stole a book from my 7th grade teacher feel shit about it, but don't even remember her name.

>be 11 or 12 year old me
>visit relatives
>watch TV in living room with cousins
>cousin wants to switch channel to some stupid show
>I say to her "Fuck off" or something similar
>she starts insulting me and tries to get the remote violently
>too bad for her I'm a boy
>lose my shit and beat her
>she cries

Even though it is 10 years since then, I still regret it. I'd even apologize for that but I think it would be weird apologizing for something that's so long ago, especially because we were in our tweens.

My dad loaned me his Wittgenstein & von Wright collection when I started university. I dropped out and never returned them.

I stole an entire copy of the full Divine Comedy; Inferno, Purgatorio and Paradiso. It was good shit.

Lent someone a book in high school. A few minutes later I asked for it back. Turns out he never read it and just kept it in his bag the entire time, getting trashed around with textbooks and shit. Needless to say, it was a tattered mess. Never lent another book again.

>a few minutes later

I meant a few weeks later.

I did the same but with a PSP, no regrets

Same. I own a fucking awesome edition of the complete works of Nietzsche, and a friend borrowed it from me. He never fucking read it but managed to spill water on it.

I've lost at least two books this way

Fuck you, OP

Sure you did, Jamal

>never do homework
>my back bag rarely gets emptied
>don't find another useful packbag for something, so I empty it
>find a loveletter from a nerd girl, 2 years too late
>never mention it to her
>remember all those interactions with her became torment of some kind
>I just thought I was scary and creepy
Ha ha. It's easy to laugh at it now. I still feel bad, though.

I borrowed a textbook from a professor and never returned it.

>tfw got almost all books I ever borrowed to someone back in a similar condition
Guess I am just lucky. I only lost my copy of 1984 to some kid who died of cancer, figured it was rude to ask his parents to give it back.

>felt guilty
I don't understand. Why would you feel guilty - what does it do for anyone?

>feeling guilt

I remember being seven or eight and hiding dental floss so that I didn't have to go through that ordeal.

My mother found the hidden floss, got extremely upset and started asking my sister and I if we knew anything about it. Without missing a beat my five year old sister takes the blame and I keep my mouth shut. My mother yells at her, puts her to bed without a story and then proceeds to read me a story of my choice.

I remember being read the Hobbit while struggling with the worst guilt I had ever felt. Still makes me feel like shit to this day, even after telling my mother and sister all about it a couple of years ago.

I wanted to scare a bird with an air rifle. Instead I shot it. I feel bad about it.

same here, its the reason i stopped lending people books.

i don't know. i can't really choose how i feel. maybe the feeling of suffering stemming from guilt is a way to punish myself for a past transgression i never paid for, so that i can move on. i'm sort of a moralfag

Goddamn Catholics.

Should I feel bad because when I read collections of essays/short stories etc. that aren't connected together to create a whole I will read what I want at that time, put it down and go back. I've gone this with DFW's essay collections

wrong thread

I made fun of a really stupid and socially inept kid in elementary school, to the point where even the other kids were like "man, take it easy". I cut off my brother's finger by turning on a coffee blender (on purpose) and neighbor's finger by squashing it with a steel fence door (accidentally).

Why do you hate fingers so much?

They're creepy and look like tiny dicks.

Chris-chan?

Not anymore, bigots... he, he

Slightly related, how the fuck does redemption work? Is it even possible? You can never undo what you did. The religious aspect is beginning to make more and more sense to me, I just do not see how redemption works without straight up divine intervention.

You can do something good in return, so the two deeds cancel out each other, are you retarded?

>so the two deeds cancel out each other

But that's not how deeds work friend.

What do you think redemption is? Were you dropped on your head when you were a baby or something? It literally means
>I steal from someone
>person gets angry and disappointed
>I invest the stolen money and make a fortune which I share with the man i stole it from
That's redemption, retard.

You're still a thief. Hence my original question. If redemption is redeeming yourself, and redeeming yourself is recovering something, how does paying back what you owe suddenly make you a non-thief?

What does it even mean to be a thief? I'd say a thief is someone who actively steals on a practically day-to-day basis. If someone used to steal but doesn't do it anymore, as a matter of fact he actually works on redeeming himself, I wouldn't consider that man a thief. Are you a poopypants because you pooped yourself when you were a baby? At the end of the day, it's just labels, or what the intelligent folks of Veeky Forums would call spooks.

My parents invested 20+ years of tutelage and care into me. I squandered it all.

>living with friends I made in college
>from poorer background
>first week we go shopping for grocery
>they want to get Ragu
>I say let's get Mario Batali (it's what my parents got)
>we get Mario Batali

Literally worse than Hitler.

>I fucked OP's mother last night
Sorry man

So it was you on the other side of her!

yeah dude, impressive dong by the way

You can change yourself, so you would never again do what you did. Try to tie it to a significant experience - something beautiful or profound - so it gets deep into your identity. Then, who needs redemption - that was some other guy.

If you can recognise the secular benefits of ritual I also recommend going to a catholic confession. Despite the reputation of guilty catholics it's really freeing.

you are a disappointment

Last summer I almost stole a bunch of old books in Argentina. My family is British, but my great grandfather moved to South America in the early 20th century, where he bought land a built a house in the middle of nowhere. He made money and returned to Europe with my grandfather, but part of his family remained in Argentina, amongst them a great uncle who was Veeky Forums as fuck.

I did a Trip to Argentina last summer and was invited to spend a night in the old family house, which is one hour away by car (mud road) from the nearest town, which is a shitty village with no more than 2,000 inhabitants. The old house was falling apart and being run by some decadent relatives who pretended to be British even though they were 3rd generation. They paid no attention to my great uncle's library, full of hardcovers from the 1940s of all the classics, Everyman's collection, and a bunch of Penguin Classics in mint condition. There were also first editions of Gerald Durrell and some philosophy (Russell, Nietzsche, Schopenhauer). A library full of treasures in the middle of nowhere.

My relatives spent the evening getting drunk and going through old photographs of our dead relatives, and after we all went to bed I sneaked out of my room, went to the library and took a few Hemingway books and Jude the Obscure, hid them in my bag.

The next morning I felt bad about it and put them back on the shelves right before leaving. After all these people had been kind enough to show me the house and letting me spend a night there, giving me food and drinks. However, I still feel sad about that wonderful library in the middle of nowhere, with nobody to read those books.

If it still troubles you, it won't be weird to apologize much later. Man up.

You should just have asked if you can take a few or a dozen of the books with you, since they obviously didn't care about them.

why not just ask the folks? you baka af fampai

>'''Owning''' books
Why don't any of you retards take advantage of being in the universe where it's free to borrow books from the library?

You should have stolen them, it's not like they would miss them or anything, you fucking retard. But hey, at least you're a decent human bean.

This. A common mental bug in self-interested intellectuals is forgetting they can accomplish things by being nice to people. Why not pay for the books, or trade books?

>Be 15
>Want to borrow a book from the library
>No library membership and can't sign up under 16 without parent's permission.
>Keep asking but they never go to the library
>Eventually just get my friend to borrow it for me
>4 years later
>Still have that book
>Decide I feel bad so I go to give it back and pay the late fee
>It was gone so long that they had already given up and deleted it from the register
>Library guy lets me keep it.

Feels good to try doing the right thing and get a free book.

I feel really bad for you.

My heart sank a little bit when I read that.

I couldn't ask for them or buy them immediately, because there were other relatives who were not there and also had a say regarding the house and its belongings. Perhaps I could have offered to buy them and get them posted, or convince them to sell them right away (everyone has a price), but I didn't. It's too late now.

>friend who borrowed it for you is still in prison

There's two types of idiots: the ones that lend books and the ones that expect to get them back

>befriend patrician girl in first year of university
>remain friends all throughout
>secretly in love with her but too scared of ruining the friendship to do anything about it
>she's obsessed with Proust and convinces me to read him, lending me all volumes of ISoLT
>margins are filled with her notes, all of which I read carefully
>see my name connected to passage that was circled
>heart is racing
>passage reads "Besides, it was she whom I loved and whom I could not therefore see without that anxiety, without that desire for something more, which destroys in us, in the presence of the person we love, the sensation of loving."
>unsure exactly what she meant putting my name next to this passage
>never ask her about it
>fall out of touch after university and never speak again

I wish I would have mentioned that to her.

Fuck you.

I bet she just wrote your name because she was aware you felt that way about her, not because she reciprocated.

Grasp fortune in the future pls

m8....

>unsure exactly what she meant by putting my name next to this passage
>didn't even ask
Pure, concentrated autism.

My biggest confession to make is that I talk about Veeky Forums irl

someone lent me a copy of goblet of fire when i was in seventh or eight grade. at some point i spilled juice on it and threw the book away.

ran into the dude like six or seven years later in college and he asked if i could finally return the book.

don't know what's worse - that he remembered that he had lent me the book all these years later or that an adult male wanted their harry potter book back

I lent a first edition copy of the philosopher's stone to someone before it got big then forgot who I'd lent it to. I'm no fanboy but I'd really like that back.

feeling guilt is necessarily involved in the apprehension of certain facts of great importance, such as that you have done something wrong
on some occasions, if you are not feeling guilt, you're not standing in the right epistemic relation to a certain thing, not recognizing an important truth
hence arguing that one should never feel guilt is arguing that one should be in denial of and flight from reality

This is the reason I don't lend books out. Not meant to be an attack on you, but I paid money for the book and will be damned to see it destroyed or lost. Especially with how much books cost.