This kills the AI singularity with superhumans

>this kills the AI singularity with superhumans

if we're lucky enough it'll also kill your lineage

I wouldn't hold my breath for that. Programming computers is so easy even computer scientists can do it, and they can't even do proofs by induction. On the other hand, to edit genes you need actual scientists.

You need the scientists to find the genes to edit. Once that's done and the machine is built, it's just a matter of delivery. It's not farther away than an AI singularity.

In any event, what makes you think that we won't just use this to merge AIs into our bodies?

>Once that's done and the machine is built, it's just a matter of delivery.
Biology is never that easy.

>In any event, what makes you think that we won't just use this to merge AIs into our bodies?

But this isn't what you mentioned in the OP. You basically posed superhumans vs AI and I told you why superhumans will never be better than AI and would get rek'd. It is simple stuff, really. Top tier AI is already at a point where you can very easily create your own. There are actual youtubbers, known for being retarded internet whores, making their own AIs to post videos about the AIs beating mario or fighting each other. It is THAT easy.

Meanwhile, gene editing is still a fantasy. That is a huge difference. All I'm saying is that when the super AI gets merciful and tells us that we can choose to upload our consciousness into its brain before it destroys the universe to create its own universe, you should accept the deal.

It is though. They're already doing it with blood. People believe that this will more or less be deliverable with viruses.

No, I said it kills the AI *singularity*.
lrn2read

And superhuman/AI cyborgs will be superior to both

thatstheidea.ra

AI will still be a thing simply because processors are better optimized for calculations than brains are and steel is better for strenuous labor than muscle. Even with all the modifications in the world, we'll likely hit an upper limit on our ability to compute and perceive with our neurons that will still be way slower than a computers ability to solve the same problems. Also, people need food to function while a computer ust needs a power outlet.

Gene editing is hard, will take longer than 50 years and is expensive as fuark

You know gene therapy clinical trials cost like 50 million, take years and have low likeyhood of working. Also you need a investor who will want to turn a profit. Gene therapy is easier than gene editing.

>Gene therapy is easier than gene editing.
Editing is literally what CRISPR does, brainlet.

This isn't science fiction. The editing is already happening. All that needs now is for more genes to be ID'd.

As for investors, have you seen the markup on wedding stuff and baby stuff? Now imagine what people would pay not to have a retarded baby.

I know that, I use gene editing as a synonym for CRISPR. How can you call me a brainlet? Improve your reading comprehension.

What I said is still right, gene editing is happening but very slowly and with poor results.

>Now imagine what people would pay not to have a retarded baby.
Do you know know how difficult that is?

Do you have any expertise in this subject besides surface level pop science

Well, it's not that more genes need to be ID'd- we've actually ID'd most protein encoding genes in the human genome. The problem is in the nitty-gritty, like figuring out where in untranslated portions of the genome you find transcription factors. We've come a long way in creating databases of TFs, but it's still up in the air as to which each of them do necessarily. There are so many different factors that are working on any given gene, even incidentally, that it's incredibly difficult to control for how much of a given protein is ultimately transcribed and translated.

So in terms of trying to create superhumans, we're quite far away. Not to mention, none of us will ever personally see the benefits- modifying all of the somatic cells in the body isn't possible, so it would be modifying germ cells to produce progeny that have the target modifications. Then it's 9 months til you know if it even worked, even more if it's some phenotype that'll occur further along in development.

What's most likely the target for this technology, at least in the near future, is the industrial production of biological biproducts. With the ability to transplant genes, and the research into trying to get the structural component right, comes the ability to take genes from any organism and then use some model for production to grow it. We can do that with simple biomolecules like Insulin now- instead of harvesting it from pigs like we used to, we actually insert the gene into E.Coli and then grow it by the vat. Imagine such kinds of things, but with more complex structures, like leather, meat, ivory, bone, fruit, or any other kind of biologically produced complex- Then, it would be possible to take any product that is made by biological systems and then grow it on racks in factories. Even this is pretty far away, but there's a certain progression to our understanding of transcription factors and gene location that makes it more a reality every year.

Just curious, do you know what's being done in Chinese labs regarding human gene editing? I'm asking because I think a year or so ago I recall hearing there was some talk on the Chinese trying to reduce birth defects with CRISPR, and it was a whole ethical debacle, but I didn't really look into it at the time.

To add on to this, as I forgot, it's not necessarily just regulating the amounts of what protein via study of TFs, but rather studying interactions and post-translational modifications on proteins. To put into perspective how difficult this is, there's an estimated 20,000 protein encoding genes in the human genome (a shockingly small number, in my opinion), with roughly ~40-50 different types of post-translational modifications that can apply to many portions of a single protein. To figure out how each one interacts with each other, taking into account possible and likely locales for post-translational modifications and the kinds of concentrations you'll see them in, as well as the idea of multi-protein complexes that will interact with each other, it becomes an incredibly daunting task.

The other perspective for this task is that in order to figure out protein interactions, a common tool is to use NMR to print out what are essential topographic maps of how nuclei are shielded in a magnetic field. Take a collection of these NMR readouts with various changes to a protein- add a post-translational modification to see how the protein is going to bend/where it will latch on, or perhaps test the shape that two proteins that you know have interaction will form. It takes a lab or a group sometimes around 3 months for a SINGLE interpretation. The proteins are so big that they create so many fine gradients of nuclear shielding that even some of the best NMR machines in the world have trouble discerning, so you have to go in and make absolutely sure of what you're looking at.

There's also complexities within the genome itself; enhancers, promoters, insulators and let's not forgot epigenetics.

But yeah proteomics is hard shit, I did my thesis within it.

yeah that's what I largely mean when I'm talking about TFs. Bringing up epigenetics is tough, because pop-sci fags jump on it with no knowledge of it whatsoever, so I usually just don't talk about it unless it's super relevant.

Have a proteomics final on Wednesday. Shitposting about proteomics on Veeky Forums counts as studying, right?

The Chinese are apparently going all out with CRISPR and keeping research largely under wraps with the exception of monthly notes of success because the last time they came forward there was that ethics debate you mentioned. Meanwhile here in the states we are twiddling our thumbs over ethics and arguing over who gets copyright ownership of the method.

Getting my degree in molecular bio now, have a little over a year left to go. The idea then is either to move onto a genomics doctorate program, or to go to law school- I think I'll want to end up in law anyways, because this whole policy and copyright issue regarding the biological sciences and a post-genome world is fucking nuts. There's a huge vacuum for competent, science-literate lawyers, so I'm hoping I'm backing the right pony here.

Now I'm a red meat eating american patriot, but when I see shit like the fucking debacle over copyrighting genes and slowing down scientific/technological advancements for profit's sake, I begin to wonder if capitalism was a goddamn mistake. Not so much as to learn chinese, because working or living there sounds like a living hell, but the whole thing is fucked.

>Do you know know how difficult that is?
Look, you can dismiss what I'm saying as "pop science" all you want. You're in a position of expertise that has got you so close to the trees, you can't see the forest.

You mused about a lack of investors. Now that you realize that was an idiotic thing to say given the stakes, you deflected to "do you know how difficult that is?"

The answer is: it depends. In some cases, it's as simple as aborting a fetus that has a sonogram with thick folds on its neck. In others, there is no prenatal fix at all because it comes from later trauma or contamination.

Anyway, you never answered whether this supposed far away technology is, in your opinion, closer or farther than human-level or humanity-disrupting AI.

Both of these things (i.e. (1) radical genetic editing, replacement tissues, germ line customizations, etc. (2) powerful AI) are roughly on the same time threshold. Neither are science fiction, but they are not in the medium term.

I supposed you have a Ph.D. in AI also?

>modifying all of the somatic cells in the body isn't possible, so it would be modifying germ cells to produce progeny that have the target modifications

That was the point, m9. This was about competing with or merging with AI.

Not surprising. The Chinese don't give a fuck about ethics.

>Meanwhile, gene editing is still a fantasy.
no it's not you fucking retard christ shut the fuck up
it's about as far progressed as the neural networks who need billion-dollar research grants to make a robot pick up a cup, if you had to compare them

keras neural memeworks are not "AI"

>Chinese research
>valuable
Is this a meme or what

Developing AI that is actually "conscious" is even harder as it hasn't been done yet.