>your area of study
>explain what's fascinating about it and why you study it

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_mk1MmKT-iQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>>your area of study
Mechanical Engineering
>>explain what's fascinating about it and why you study it
I actually hate engineering. I desperately wanted to major in math but I ultimately chose engineering for the career opportunities. I hate myself every day for not following my passions. At least I am a junior and almost done

gender studies
because black lives matter

go to grad school ya goof

>I desperately wanted to major in math but I ultimately chose engineering for the career opportunities.
B-but autists on Veeky Forums tell me that "doing what you love" is for brainlets!

financial mathematics
because i love making money

Analytical chemistry (environmental)
Because I get to find out which chemicals are making the frogs gay

biology
because I like to fuck

Medicine
I get to control who lives and who dies, can make a ton of money and bitches get wet when they see a doctor

Otherwise its a vast and interesting field in itself and encompasses most fields of science from biology, chemistry, physics, maths, statistics and also indulges your social iq.

It's literally a field for STEM chads

I can't imagine how miserable it must feel to do a PhD in maths and other meme courses with zero application skills and very low income... math memers have nothing to show for all the years of their lives wasted

Engineering
Because I love the cock

Genetics, because I get to figure out how DNA wrapping on itself, as well as how the spatial orientation of Chromosomes, because I will hopefully be able to finally contribute to the eventual discovery of exactly why OP is such a faggot.

>your area of study
applied maths

>explain what's fascinating about it
nothing, it's shit

>and why you study it
idk, I'm incredibly good at everything except math. Jesus fucking christ I want to kill myself, I miss my dream of being a filmmaker

lol cuck

Where is your 300k starting?

>maths

Probably won't do grad school. I hope to land a good engineering job that leaves me enough time to study math independently. My personality does not to well in school. I get good grades but I have anxiety/paranoia and the stress is unbelievable.

>murrican presents a irrefutable argument

>chemistry
>it's magic nigga I ain't gotta explain shit

but more seriously, since fucking everything you will ever encounter but the sun and gravity is describable in terms of chemistry, unless you get hit by a nuclear bomb

>>your area of study
cs
dunno, I like types and shit

>>your area of study
math
don't know, just started this shit this year and I've been fucking with my proofs class, thinking declaring pure math or math phys for my specialization at the end of the year but I'm not too sure

>>your area of study
physics
4 years ago I probably could have told you but right now I'm a bit burned out and fuck knows why I ever chose to subject myself to this. I guess mostly everything else wants to make me shoot myself even more than physics does.

black isn't a gender

You're lucky I wasn't drinking milk, user.

Math PhD.s can get finance jobs and make twice what you do starting.

Most reasonably intelligent people can make a lot of money if they sell their soul

And yet they never do, why would someone care about some autistic math PhD when they get ecomists and finance guys?

What area of math?

>your area of study
Applied Math

I don't have to give a shit about what the rest of the academia thinks. I don't care about politics, science, social activities and most forms of entertainment and that's all the rest of my coworkers talk about. I like to sail, swim and go to the gym. Students are a pain in the ass but I've learned how to deal with them. My job is stable and I earn more than I can spend, it requires very little effort, most of the time I feel like I am get paid to learn more and share about my hobby. My research is not very interesting but I can spend all my day studying it without getting tired of it, everything that is not math makes me sick after a few hours of study.

True. I'm not recommending it.

Because they're smarter.

>good day chap i study maffs

what do you think about idris?

Economics

I like it because I get to study humans and society, but in a more removed, quantitative way than other social sciences would allow.

Also it continues to surprise me how many types of math have applications to it

>Your area of study
Marine Biology
Life in the ocean is always fascinating, I have always wanted to study it.

youtube.com/watch?v=_mk1MmKT-iQ

Philosophy.
It encompasses all human knowledge.

Ecology
So I can watch Life play with itself. The diversity of organisms and the way they behave, the way their interactions serve as scaffolding for higher level organization, and interdependence. It's applicable to everything living things do, the more you know about the living world and it's actors the more dots I can connect and the more beautiful things become, but I feel the loss more and more as well. I've studied life since I was at least 3, animal encyclopedias where the first thing I ever read or wanted to be read, it's been a natural progression. Ecology in theory is also very beautiful and is canon fodder for philosophy. I study alot of things, Life itself is another big one.
same here, give particulars

Mathematical philosophy. I like math that is meaningful and gives deep insight about reality.

>A natural progression
I should have said "succession" instead of that

>area of study
Surface chemistry.

I get to be a chemist and work with my hands in the lab, but the physics is meaty enough for me to feel challenged and stop my research from feeling like stamp collecting. I also get to play with lasers and take pretty pictures of atom layers.

This but with Computer Engineering.
I want to die, some classes are boring as shit.

Physics.

Literally because I watched a bunch of shit on YouTube that I'd cringe at now. This is why I dislike sci's dislike for popsci, it will get a 17 year old interested in shit even if their math skills are mediocre and the media they are consuming is objective shit. I like learning about mathematical methods for physics the most. I am only an sophomore so who knows what I'll end up liking the most.

My nigga

Studied electrical engineering and landed a job as an engineer at one of the largest memory producers in the world. What's fascinating about it is that I get to witness the next two generations of products (phones, cars, SSDs, fucking everything) we design our memory for before the rest of the world as we work to qualify our memory to be put in customers' products. I work on the cutting edge of semiconductor fabrication and witness my work come up from tapeout all the way to productization. The memory I work on is sold on the scale of billions every year and is in nearly every electronic you could name. I know what my contributions are to the memory we create and I know what its contributions are to society as a whole.
Something I worked on has reached across the world and touched the life of every civilized human on this planet. That is a kind of satisfying feeling

>Bioinformatics and Molecular Biology
>Biohacks n sheet

I study food biochemistry

Yep you heard it right you math meme lords I get paid to play around with, in my case, what makes beer flavorful (strong vs light beer, limearitas, etc).

meme

Computer science, specifically neural networks

Because I like to play god

biomathmatics, because *ALL* major unsolved problems are in biology, and most biologists really suck at math

I opened a pipe welding instructional facility. We produce highly skilled craftsmen that work at the best chemical and refinery facilities in the world.

>>>/b - brainlets/

Optics

Got interested by some teachers, light is fascinating to study. Working in the laser design (TW & PW) aloows one to learn a lot about various field in physics.

>but more seriously, since fucking everything you will ever encounter but the sun and gravity is describable in terms of chemistry, unless you get hit by a nuclear bomb
>studying applied quantum mechanics and claiming it's the best rather than just studying quantum mechanics or, even better, algebra

seconded

Microbiology. Microorganism are cool as shit and were the first organisms on the earth.

>environmental science
>it's not that interesting but I gotta study something

CS with a specialization in audio signal processing.

The mathematics I've been able to take past the normal code monkey classes have been really really good. Fourier transforms, filter analysis, etc are all very aesthetically pleasing.

Next term I'm taking 2 DSP-related math classes, as well as an intro to partial differential equations. I'm super hyped

Whats it like

>So I can watch Life play with itself
I could send you videos of me playing with myself if you'd like

> pure math

>nothing is fascinating about it really

Its a good feeling to get and understand a proof and you get those "ah-ha" moments but there isn't anything truly fascinating about it

While the guys that come here are no engineers, they make close to 100k a year. I consider that pretty good. I have a masters in accounting and im also a CPA

Physics, more specifically, optics

Quantum optics is an interesting field, you get to study quantum mechanics irl. Although my research is on spectroscopy right now and I don't get to do much QO, but Im learning the fundamentals at least.

>linguistics
>Language is one of the rare cognitive abilities which can be rigorously formalized. The study of what formal patterns appear across languages opens a window to better understanding the architecture of cognitive processes.

Major biochemistry, minor pharmacology at McGill. I became a drug addict at 15. Literally chose my program to learn how to make drugs. I'm one year into the program and can synthesize MDMA, amphetamine & methamphetamine, mescaline and LSD.

Hopefully as I get through the higher courses I'll be able to understand how they work and invent my own.

>Otherwise its a vast and interesting field in itself and encompasses most fields of science from biology, chemistry, physics, maths, statistics and also indulges your social iq

top kek. most doctors have forgotten all the hard science they learned in uni by the time they finish their specialty. my lab presented 3 posters in a neurology conference and the doctors couldn't understand them.

doctors are to biology and chemistry what engineers are to physics and math. i have some respect for surgeons because their job takes actual applied skill, but internal medicine is literally a glorified human symptom checkbox machine. i'd hardly call either a scientist though

Powerful.

>Neurobiology, specifically epilepsy

It's interesting because you slowly get to unravel a huge puzzle in a sense. you also have many disciplines within neurobiology, from nervous system biochem and pharmacology to electrophysiology techniques and programming. It's really stimulating

my buddy at McGill does mecheng
good job

literally me

this

As someone who is uninitiated in these things, what exactly makes pipe-welding a craft rather than just a task?

Psychology.
Control theory applied to a specific domain.

No way you must be lying

>my lab presented 3 posters in a neurology conference and the doctors couldn't understand them.

Depends how old the doctor's were, maybe the doctors in your state/country are just shit? Internal med and surgery are specialities that require chemistry and physics knowledge regularly so I doubt they would have forgotten all of it.

>doctors are to biology and chemistry what engineers are to physics and math. i have some respect for surgeons because their job takes actual applied skill, but internal medicine is literally a glorified human symptom checkbox machine. i'd hardly call either a scientist though

Nice meme but doctors are scientists as well, they do have to do research and learn pretty much everything that most pure science students do in their formative years. Not only that, intense competition requires docs to excel in all their science courses so they are probably better scientists by a considerable margin

CS/CompE
Computers are actually fucking gay.

invertebrate paleontology, morphometrics/physiology approach
it's fossils, man. they're inherently cool. and I can tell all sorts of cool things about how trilobites grew despite that none of them have grown for over 200 million years.

Hopefully one day soon after biophysics/molec bio have progressed and biosemiotics shits out theory, various biosemiotics will be formalized

Is IT or a computer-related job worth it? I just started college and I want to see if it's worth it before fully investing in it.

Go for CE/EE. IT is garbage and being fucked right now

>maybe the doctors in your state/country are just shit?

it was an international conference

> Internal med and surgery are specialities that require chemistry and physics knowledge regularly so I doubt they would have forgotten all of it

what the fuck are you talking about? you think orthopedic surgeons and dermatologists use chemistry and physics regularly? they learn some chemistry and some less physics in the first 2 years of uni (or in premed in burgerland i imagine) and that's it.

> they do have to do research

medicine research is literally cataloging patients, symptoms, treatments and outcomes. they don't even go into the molecular aspect, they simply catalogue and run statistics.

>ot only that, intense competition requires docs to excel in all their science courses so they are probably better scientists by a considerable margin

what the fuck are you talking about i'll ask once more. they take basic physics and chem courses in the early years of uni, that they never again use in their lives.

I can't tell if you're a butthurt med student or a layman that has no idea what he's talking about.

Man I went through such a similar dilemma. Majored in electrical engineering for two years before dropping out. Sought work as an electrician for a few years and now I can make more money than an engineer easily

>he thinks medicine is just writing down name and address of patients XD

Seriously hoW retarded are you? Orthopedics need to have knowledge of physics and apply it in cases of bone accidents and knowing how to repair the damage caused by the accidents. Dermatology is a field that uses a lot of chemicals and they need the knowledge in chemistry for that.

Ever heard of physiology? Anatomy? Biochemistry? Microbiology and pharmacology? They are all courses taught in first year of medical schools
You clearly have no idea how medicine works and what actually goes into making a doctor

>Orthopedics need to have knowledge of physics and apply it in cases of bone accidents and knowing how to repair the damage caused by the accidents

what the actual fuck are you talking about you fucking idiot? you think an orthopedic needs to know quantum mechanics to fix injuries? of course he needs intense knowledge of body anatomy, but he doesn't need to know physics.

>Dermatology is a field that uses a lot of chemicals and they need the knowledge in chemistry for that.

no they don't you dumb fuck. you think they know the exact pharmacokinetics/pharmacodynamics of every single med they prescribe? they know that for x diagnosis you prescribe one of the drugs from the y family of drugs that roughly does z. they know jack shit beyond that, why the fuck do you think pharmacists and biochemists exist?

>Ever heard of physiology? Anatomy? Biochemistry? Microbiology and pharmacology?

so you went from arguing that doctors know as much physics and chemistry and physicists and chemists to doctors know anatomy. of course they know fucking anatomy and physiology, that's their profession. but their knowledge in chemistry/physics/math is basic while they're still in uni and non-existent 10 years after they've graduated.

>They are all courses taught in first year of medical schools

man you must be fucking trolling or extremely retarded. you think taking 2 courses in organic chem (which they don't btw, they do a crash course called "medical chemistry" and in many med schools even biochem isn't mandatory) puts you at the same level as someone who did their fucking phd on organic chem? do you have any idea how academia functions?

at this point i'm sure you're trolling, you can't be this ignorant and yet this patronizing

lol sure

based

how much do you make?

Biochem, it's cool. I like having a sense of underlying principles behind why things function, because I'm interested in how dysfunction causes disease. It's neat to have the perspective down to the level of amino acids. I feel like Bio really benefits from having the molecular perspective.

I'd like to go into grad school for Cell Biology because I like the idea of piecing together signal cascades and how it allows for intracellular trafficking and stuff like that. Seems applicable to figuring out stuff like neurodegeneration.

I kinda got interested in Bio because of that jackass Aubrey De Grey and I'm still kinda curious if by contributing to this area of work we can help people live longer and healthier lives. Not really expecting anything but I want to take things as far as I can, because I feel like these advances can do a lot of good, and I don't really get as much joy in science that doesn't have that kind of underlying context.

You seem like a person who i would not like

Astrophysics, because space is cool

Why would I lie?

Living the Walter White lifestyle. Not bad.

Computer Science.

Because I hate you all, faggots, and one day you all will be replaced by a few elegant lines of code.

>Literally chose my program to learn how to make drugs

fucking kek

Astrophysics.
It's the coolest shit ever, I love what I do. Specifilacally I'm doing instrumentation, so like the production and design of detectors and space technology.

>optics
It's cool I guess. I don't really care what I'm doing too much. I'd just like to make money.

Edgiest man itt

Computer Science

There's nothing fascinating. "Fun" programming is 5% maximum of most jobs. 95% is straightforward, "muh code quality" and bullshit processes.

Okay

My nigger
finance math is the wombocombo

Doing science for all the wrong reasons. I like it. Keep us posted famalam.

>your area of study
Electronic/Electrical Engineering (B.Eng currently, gonna specialize in DSP)
My dad's an Electronic Technician(Masters) and I currently have a journeyman degree.
I've just always liked electronics. Been soldering and tinkering with electronics since i was 10 years old(because of my dad).

And i'm an active electronic musician, so being able to build and repair all kinds of shit is really handy.

>your area of study
Philosophy
>explain what's fascinating about it
I have always loved thinking about science more than doing science. I plan to major in logic or philosophy of science in master.

Computer Engineering

I was always amazed at how we could turn electricity into some of the amazing things we see on tv screens, primarily 3D video games. Second year and still enjoying it.

I wish I had money to study shit like this