How do you guys go about taking exams? Do you go as fast as possible and not worry about making mistakes...

How do you guys go about taking exams? Do you go as fast as possible and not worry about making mistakes, concentrate furiously on the problem? Or do you take things slowly and calmly, at a reasonable pace? I've been trying the latter approach, with mixed results. I've also tried looking into the effects of cortisol on cognitive function and academic performance, with little success in finding something revelatory. So I suppose I'm asking, how does stress affect cognition?

When you take the amount of stims I do during exams you have no other choice than to go fast.

lol

I start by reading all the questions, then I work them in order. If I get stuck, I move onto the next one. Once I'm done, I'll recalculate all my answers to make sure that there isn't a dumb calculator error anywhere.

I always wait until the very end to turn it in, even if I finish half an hour before. There's nothing worse than walking out 15 minutes early and realizing that you made a simple mistake somewhere.

Pretty much my method too.
Except that, after reading all problems, I'll polish off the ones I _know_ I can do very quickly.
Avoids the possibility of running out of time before reaching a problem near the end which was really easy.

I've seen a test (it was a psychological test, but the students didn't know that) with 20 questions.
1. Write your name
2. Put down today's date.
3. What is the capital of Mauritania?
4. What is the cube root of 512?
20. After writing your name (question 1), skip everything else and turn this paper in. The remainder of your exam-sheet should remain blank.

Most people fail because they're in too much of a hurry!

>Sit down
>Make sure I have a pen
>Make sure I have my approved calculator
>Crack open an ice-cold energy drink
>Read through the exam, get ideas flowing
>Enjoy the next four hours of problem-solving in a quiet place

What is the benefit of reading all the questions in advance? I find that doing this can make me anxious if I see a question which I don't immediately know how to solve.

I take things calmly and slowly to avoid making mistakes. The alternative of going super fast so that in the end you have time to check your mistakes and fix them is a meme. You have to pray that the amount of mistakes you made is in line with the amount of time you have left. Pretty useless desu.

Just take it easy and think through each exercise so that you don't make stupid mistakes. But if you are not done by when the professor says "5 minutes left" then pedal to the metal and rape the remaining problems.

That is something which bugs me as well. I don't think I can solve questions that are 'demanding' if I am wondering about the other questions beforehand. Rarely this has helped me come up with ideas that would not strike me at first glance.

>four hours

Lmao

>What is the benefit of reading all the questions in advance?
For me its about picking all the low hanging fruit first and identifying the ones that I'm probably going to need to spend more time on.
Also if your teacher isn't paying attention to the questions they ask, sometimes a later answer informs an earlier one.
I've also always felt it was akin to reading through all the instructions.

Because a "hard" question might take 20 minutes and there might be 5 "easy" questions which take only 4 minutes apiece.
If all questions are worth an equal number of points, quess which way will get you the higher grade?

If you don't see the methodology immediately (or at least have an idea for attacking it), move on without worrying. Remember, the idea is to solve the MOST problems correctly. If you get 19 out of 20, that's a guaranteed "A". No one will call you a brainlet if you missed the other one.

If problems are _not_ of equal value you have to decide how to use your time cost-effectively. And you STILL need to read all the problems first in order to do that.

BBC is strictly for blondes

Easier problems first, then after i'm done I take my time with harder problems.

does she have one of those really small diseased arms?

I skim a couple of pages of notes right before the exam, can be made by me, can be just right from the textbook, then as soon as i get the exam paper i write everything i can remember (i remember mostly everything, but i forget it right after the exam) down where it matters, then i just take the easiest problem and so on.

I usually take benzos before exams
Enlightens my intelligence

i also masturbate right before the exam, calms my nerves

This but mix benzos with high amounts of acid so that you can visualize the answer without while not having an acid freak-out

This. Sometimes it helps to see a piece of information (say a graph of an equation you do not remember the behavior of in a later part of the test) to help inform you of its use in earlier problems.

Shut up pablo