youtu.be/sD0NjbwqlYw
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

please elaborate

The sum of all numbers from 1 to infinity is -1/12

Brainlets think it's infinity

>is
brainlet confirmed

Prove it.

That's bullshit. If you keep adding positieve numbers, please tell me how you end up negative.

its neither
abuse of notation is for brainlets .

you dont . you also dont end up with any positive number because to any partial sum you get you add more .

youtube.com/watch?v=w-I6XTVZXww
;^)

I have watched it. And I think it's juggling with numbers. Looks like a stretch to me.

You take a lightbulb, turn it on, then a second later turn it off.
Then 1/2 seconds later turn it on,1/4 seconds later turn it off, 1/8 on, 1/16 off, 1/32 on and so on every 1/(2^n) seconds ...

You do this for two seconds, then stop. Will the lightbulb be on or off?

Looks like someone physishit didn't go to theur Calc2 classes.

probably reality just had a buffer overflow. try rebooting.

i'm just a brainlet but all of those people have phds so i don't know man i kind of believe them

>Brainlets think it's infinity
it is. the sum is divergent, but the sum of consecutive integers can be analytically continued in order to assign a value to the the infinite sum. Since analytical continuations are unique and lead to no known contradictions (only some less than intuitive results), then it can have a practical value to work within that framework where infinite sums can be differentiated by a value that represents them.
Don't listen to this bullshit. Their videos are purposely misleading in order to sensationalize the result because if you properly explained to someone that you are summing under different rules, few would question the result under different summation.

>proof of -1/12
>not proof that infinite sums are bullshit

Christ what a stupid video.
Instead of clarifying anything they just muddy the waters even more for shits&giggles.
They deserve to be Charlie Hebdo'd for this.

To actually learn something useful see youtu.be/sD0NjbwqlYw

WON BLUS DUU BLUS DREE BLUS FOR BLUS VIVE BLUS SIGS BLUS SEVVIN BLUS ATE BLUS NYNE BLUS DEN BLUS LEVVIN BLUS DWELV BLUS DIRDIN BLUS FORDIN BLUS VIVDIN BLUS SIGSDIN BLUS SEVVINDIN BLUS ATEDIN BLUS NYNDIN BLUS DWENNY BLUS DWENNYWON BLUS DWENNYDUU BLUS DWENNYDREE BLUS DWENNYVOR BLUS DWENNYVIVE BLUS DWENNYSIGS BLUS DWENNYSEVVIN BLUS DWENNYATE BLUS DWENNYNYN BLUS THERDY BLUS.. BLUS A BAJILLION INFINIDDY FOREVERS... EEKWOHS [math]\frac{1}{12}[/math]

Here is shit in street pajeets proof

> c = 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + . . .
>4c= _ + 4 + _ + 8 + . . .

> c - 4c
> 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + . . .
> __ - 4 ____ - 8_ . . .
> -3c = 1 - 2 + 3 - 4 + . . .
>> 1 - 2 + 3 - 4 + . . . equals the average between 0 and 1

> -3c = [math]\frac{1}{2}[/math]
> c = - [math]\frac{1}{6}[/math]

plus some more retarded steps.

Apparently all it takes to be a mathmetician is just write random numbers and symbols next to each other. I sure am glad this wipes-shitty-ass-with-bare-hands poopy for a roopee indian mongolism has been etched into history forever.

>Trying to apply geometric series to a real world, time based scenario

2 seconds will pass eventually. When it does, the light will be on.

>take
you already know, when someone starts with "you take", it's going to be a shit example.

underrated

DUDE

>c = 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + . . .
>4c= _ + 4 + _ + 8 + . . .
what is this indian math trick where you just don't do anything right and how do I master it

Didny cauchy say generality of algebra wasnt a valid analysis technique on infinite series?

Hi I am just wondering if it possible to compact the three formulas in pic related into one. So that the conditional value of n is dealt with.